No announcement yet.

What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One scene from "Hope and Glory" made me smile......yes folks, as this "teacher" says its "The Pink Bits". honestly folks some teachers were really like this .

Comment

• Sunday night at the movies with this blu-ray. I cant get over that its been now 40 years since we first watched it, more than once I should add at the cinema, how time flies.

A couple of screen shots from tonight, using the Epson VP.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300013.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	65718

Name:	P1300014.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	65719

Name:	P1300026.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	65720

Name:	P1300027.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	65721

Name:	P1300034.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	65722

Name:	P1300038.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	65723

Name:	P1300052.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	65724

Name:	P1300056.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	65725

Comment

• Monday night at the movies with "The Shallows" filmed in Australia and it looks great. This is a excellent movie, not to be missed, all I will say is that the seagull does survive, to find out what I am talking about you will have to watch it .

The last time I watched it before tonight my grandson who was 12 years old at the time watched it with me. Afterwards he said to Yvonne "Nanna" the seagull at the end was not the same one that was on the rocks was it? Yvonne said you are right that one was white the one at the end was black, boy they don't miss much these days. The Shallows does have a rating of over 15 but Connor being only 12 was fine .

Highly recommend it, screen shots from tonight
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300072.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	65764
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300073.JPG Views:	0 Size:	85.5 KB ID:	65765
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300074.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	65766
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300110.JPG Views:	0 Size:	110.7 KB ID:	65767
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300089.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.9 KB ID:	65768
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300121.JPG Views:	0 Size:	107.1 KB ID:	65769
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300124.JPG Views:	0 Size:	102.2 KB ID:	65770
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300128.JPG Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	65771
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300134.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	65772
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300136.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.0 KB ID:	65773
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300178.JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	65774

Comment

• Screened Whiskey Galore 1949 in my home cinema yesterday, at the request of my eldest son. He has just had his 50th birthday and had recently visited the Scottish Isles. Amazing how these old Ealing Comedies have stood the test of time.I wonder if it is the quirky sense of humour portrayed in so many of them that is so appealing. For the technical minded, it was a DVD+R which I transferred some years ago from a VHS recording I had made and screened via my Epsom EH TW2800 projector. I was quite pleasantly surprised of the quality of the image on a screen which is. over 5 ft wide. The Epsom seems do quite a good job of upscaling. I used to record quite a few films fromTV with a Panasonic VCR before they became available to buy or on DVD and the VCR still works perfectly, which is more than can be said for more recent equipment. Ken Finch.

Comment

• THE SHALLOWS is a really good film and has to rate 3rd best shark movie after JAWS and JAWS II. The early surfing scenes look terrific and the quality of the image is so good on blu ray. I recommend it. Simple story just girl vs shark but tense and well done. Blake Lively also a fine figure of a woman and good actress too.

Comment

• Ken following on from "Whisky Galore" director Alexander Mackendrick also directed another Scottish gem called "The Maggie" in 1954. Its well worth watching the blu-ray is excellent and the film has been restored I think it was the BFI.

Anyway here are a couple of screen shots from a past screening.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1160626.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	65813
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1160627.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.3 KB ID:	65814
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1120058.JPG Views:	0 Size:	108.4 KB ID:	65815
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1120059.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.2 KB ID:	65816
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1120066.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.5 KB ID:	65817
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1120061.JPG Views:	0 Size:	120.0 KB ID:	65818
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1120062.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	65819
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1120063.JPG Views:	0 Size:	116.9 KB ID:	65820
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1120065.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	65821
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1120067.JPG Views:	0 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	65822
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1120068.JPG Views:	0 Size:	106.4 KB ID:	65823
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1120069.JPG Views:	0 Size:	127.3 KB ID:	65824

Comment

• Hi Graham. Yes I also have The Maggie on DVD and most of the other, Ealing films on one format or other, mostly dvds which I have obtained from charity shops for a pound or 50p ! I think my total collection must rival the national film archive by now! They will probably all end up being dumped when I pop my clogs now that there are so many streaming channels running 24 7. The world has changed so much in the past few years. Ken Finch.

Comment

• The world has certainly changed Ken, there is one Ealing film that surprised me, as to how violent it is, and that's "Went The Day Well" made in 1942. The film really does get it across as to what might happen if England was invaded by Germany. I understand the film came out at the time when the invasion had been called off.

The director Alberto Cavalcanti does not hold back getting the point across to the public watching it, as to what is at stake, an excellent Ealing production.

Name:	P1060041.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	65849

Comment

• Yes, it was very well made. Never saw it when it was first released as I was only 10 and still in London spending many hours in the anderson shelter. Following your post I watched it again, on VHS, copied from TV. Some years ago. A very young Harry Fowler is amongst the cast. The Eagle has Landed with Michael Caine is virtually a remake. Incidentally Graham, I visited Christchurch on one of our SKI. (spending the kids inheritance) trips. It was shortly before the earthquake. We did a tour of New Zealand with A P T. Visited the Cathedral and museum which had a35mm projector exhibited. Would it have been yours? Ken Finch.

Comment

• Not mine Ken, I will have to check it out next time we visit the museum, as to date I have not seen any projectors on permanent display, so far. Hope you had a good time visiting NZ with the "SKI"

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	The Caine Mutiny (1954).mp4_snapshot_00.00.17_[2022.09.16_10.55.46].jpg
Views:	189
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	65882 Back in the 70's I purchased the 400 foot "Columbia Classic Viewers Digest Print" of The Caine Mutiny which became a favorite that I ran many times. The movie would show up on TV off and on, but the prints were so bad (overly grainy and poor color) that I lost interest in the film. I was pleasantly surprised to watch a restored Bluray version last evening. The image above is a frame grab from the 2k video.

A review of the 2k image:

The Caine Mutiny's 1080p, 1.85:1-framed transfer delivers what are oftentimes striking results. Needless to say, the movie has never looked better for mass media home consumption. Sony's transfer appears faithful to the source, resulting in a handsome film-like image that's not always even and balanced, but representative of its natural state and intended appearance. Fine detailing is a strength. The image is often crisp and sharp, yielding remarkably intricate textures on welded and painted bulkheads, rusty surfaces, and other various areas around the ship. Facial detailing occasionally yields a somewhat flat and pasty appearance and the frame sometimes softens up, but neither hinder the overall appearance or one's ability to enjoy the movie. Colors waver slightly at times but are generally steady and pleasant. Brighter hues aren't the norm -- the picture is dominated by the flat gray paint aboard the Caine and the officers' tan uniforms -- but red dresses, the bright blue waters, and any other number of brilliant shades occasionally liven up the screen and demonstrate the palette's overall steadiness. The transfer is home to a few pops and scratches, but nothing that could be deemed deal breakers; they're minor inconveniences at worst. Strong blacks, solid flesh tones, and an absence of intrusive digital tinkering make this another handsome catalogue release in the ever-growing number of classic films earning high quality Blu-ray releases.
                        Full review at: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-C.../23455/#Review

The statement, "Needless to say, the movie has never looked better for mass media home consumption." is certainly true when I compare it to my old S8 print. You can find the bluray online for less than $15.

Comment

• Interesting, I have the Caine Mutiny on DVD and it is definitely one that could do with some digital TLC as it has some shortcomings. Must look for the Blu ray. The super 8 version was one of the few Columbia digests I liked despite the commentary and it covered the story very well in 17 minutes.

Comment

• Double bill from Clint Eastwood which I haven’t watched for years. In Line of Fire which I saw when it came out in cinema. Good thriller helped considerably by John Malkovich as the villain. Super sharp print and well worth watching.

The Rookie. Another movie I haven’t seen for ages which I thought would give it a whirl. It’s a no brainier movie which does entertain . It’s noticeable that it is a Eastwood directed movie which surprisingly is released by Columbia instead of his usual Warner home. Charlie Sheen who co stars is entertaining it is a comedy buddy Click image for larger version

Name:	AB0A8A08-948B-4B7D-9954-BF24B5939AA2.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	65934 Click image for larger version

Name:	1D62AEDE-016B-4D2B-B843-E940C360DDAD.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	65935 cop movie in similar vein to Lethal Weapon. Can’t fault print or sound. It will pass a couple of hours and villain the late Raul Julia is totally over the top

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Newell View Post
                              Interesting, I have the Caine Mutiny on DVD and it is definitely one that could do with some digital TLC as it has some shortcomings. Must look for the Blu ray. The super 8 version was one of the few Columbia digests I liked despite the commentary and it covered the story very well in 17 minutes.
                              Mike, you may have the 1998 DVD release. I came across this review:

First up is "The Caine Mutiny" which was first released on DVD back in late 1998. That bare bones version was widely panned for its poor transfer, which featured an overabundance of digital noise and was presented in basic stereo.
                              Those failings have been corrected for this most recent digitally remastered release. Here we are presented with a quite exceptional picture and soundtrack and a nice smattering of special features.
                              From: https://www.swapadvd.com/Caine-Mutin...on/dvd/154411/

My Super 8 print is 20 minutes long instead of 17 minutes. The box has sticker stating "CAINE MUTINY (Color) MM5023 ESTAR 8MM". It may be an older release. Regardless, it never looked as good as other Columbia releases I have from the late 70's.

The bluray release has 6 channel audio, but I did not notice any surround effect. It does exercise the subwoofer during the naval exercises at sea.

Comment

• Hi Ed

Im not sure when the DVD was released. It is mainly a print problem rather than sound. It is an old movie so they can only do so much. I would be surprised if your 400ft release is 20 minutes most were 17/18 minutes.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X