8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 112)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  109  110  111  112  113  114  115  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2012 02:06 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Laksmi.It came on a 1200ft reel and without original leader so I can't be sure if it's Marketing Films.The colour is very nice and low fade. Did anyone else release it?

|  IP: Logged

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2012 02:35 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't taken pics from my last few screenings, so I decided to take some tonight.

The screenshots are from a print of The Flame and the Arrow. It has German titles but English sound. Larry Arpin, thanks very much for this superb print.

For those who haven't watched this before, let me just say this is a very underrated feature.

-

-

-

-

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 18, 2012 05:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures once again Akshay [Cool]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 18, 2012 01:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnificent screenshots! It really shows off just how lovely super 8 can be!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 18, 2012 01:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hi Laksmi.It came on a 1200ft reel and without original leader so I can't be sure if it's Marketing Films.
No Jonathan, that is from Ken films. it was released at the end of Ken's around 1982.

This is originally released as three parter together with another two (rare) titles:

- Cincinnati Kid
- Time Machine

They are all without any art work only plain boxes.

The above 3 titles do come up occassionally at Ebay.de WITH artworks.

--------------------
Winbert

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2012 12:32 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Winbert and Akshay wow love the shoots Super 8 ROCKS! I love the Flame and the Arrow and Bert and his silent friend jumping all over the place. I was inspired to watch my 3 400 reel super 8 TIME MACHINE  -

-

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2012 01:32 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay and Laksmi beautiful pictures and prints...Tonight I went to a local long beach theatre to watch a Clara Bow favorite IT. The night started as a hoot, most of the crowd was dressed up in a manner that i call "noir-play" where basically hipsters meld all sorts of eras into one..Tonight they were dressing "20's" but most of them were in zoot suits, with a 1938 ford parked in front of the theatre..The night started with a local artists' brand new short film called The Paper which was a very sweet silent short, so at least on some level The Artist has sparked some interest in telling stories silently..This was followed by The Bow feature on DVD only with live accompaniment which was fun . As soon as it started (pun intended) i was unhappy since it was all stretched out, so I went to the lobby and asked them if they could fix the aspect ratio, and the theatre guy disappeared into the booth and then returned and told me he couldn't because it was a DVD and their screen was 16:9, and since it wasn't filling the screen it must be right....I have seen this movie so much that I could tell they were playing the Image DVD (not the Kino DVD) and I thought it was a true reflection of the modern movie experience...Not only did the "projectionist" basically tell me i was wrong to think the aspect ratio was off, but NO ONE else in the audience ever got up and went to the lobby so clearly I was the only one out of 100+ people that noticed something was off...AH progress.. [Frown]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 19, 2012 03:22 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the same with bad camera Dino,but people accept it along
with mumbled dialogue.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 19, 2012 06:00 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful evening sat with my wife watching Gulliver’s Travels and reminiscing of watching the Dave Fleisher gem as a kid on 16mm, then projecting it to my own family on 8 and finally here we are some 40+ years later still watching it! It’s a timeless film for me and thanks to Derann I have a decent LPP print which should last me out I guess. Isn’t it funny how we can get so linked into a super 8 movie that holds fond memories of our childhood. Amazingly no one has done a review of Gulliver’s Travels on here yet which was one of the best sellers Derann had for oh so many years, we must put this right. Viewing each frame I’m always reminded 700 artists were reported to have been involved in this animated feature and what a joy it is.

Included in the film are some catchy songs which you can’t help but join in with “Alls well what a rainy day”, “It’s a hap hap happy day” and “Forever” to name but a few.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2012 06:10 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info on "Viva", Winbert.

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2012 11:39 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino that copy of China Gate looks like great quality. I met Samuel Fuller once in a camera store in Hollywood, it was one of the best used camera/movie equipment stores there to look at and drool over. Like way pre-digital era, early eighties. Editing equipment, projectors,the works. There he was with his cigar. Read his autobio A Third Face if you want to understand a lot more about Ww2 and D day and what he did there. Then of course there is his Hollywood career. an amazing life.

[ September 27, 2012, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Richard Bock ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 27, 2012 01:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched "Yellowbeard" (super 8 optical sound feature) last night and will watch "Rocky 3" (super 8 optical feature) tonight.

I've never understood why critics hated "Yellowbeard" so, it's a darn site better than most comedies that come out these days.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 27, 2012 01:46 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a shame some of the more fruity lines of dialogue were
edited out, like when Beryl Reid observes " Who's that man
pissin' in the 'edge?" in true Carry On style.

[ September 28, 2012, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Hugh Thompson Scott ]

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2012 04:39 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched a couple of digests as a "favor" for Winbert. I haven't watched either feature before, so we were happy to "help out". Now Once Upon a Time in the West (with good color on Reel 2) had good music and Genevieve had my wife laughing out loud.

-

-

-

-

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2012 04:52 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - The great thing about Yellowbeard is it's also "a darn site" shorter than that Johnny Depp's pirate films - and funnier!
The timing of the film was wrong. It came out too close to Python's "The Meaning of Life". In the UK, where I lived at the time, the distributors never bothered to push its theatrical release and it was on video within six months.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 29, 2012 01:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the one sad edit that wasn't necessary to the "Yellowbeard" optical print, is Yellowbeards sone "Dan" being shot by Eric Idles Royal navy officer, because as it stands in the super 8 print, they are sailing back, and Dan and father Yellowbeard now show up again live, and Dan states, "Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when were dead!!", which makes no sense in the super 8 print.

Now, I've seen the full length film, so I'd know, but that must have made no sense to the people who originally saw this on the airlines.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 29, 2012 04:03 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we watched our 3 x 400ft of the exorcist,(with a few parts spliced in from the 400 footer), i have to say that although our mini feature is in excellent condition, and colour is fine as is the sound, the 400 footer was a sharper print and the actual exorcism appeared to be edited better, our 3 x 400 hasnt had any of the extra exorcism scenes put in from the shorter version but i think this was due to the focus differnce as well as the lower volume on the shorter version, sometimes it is best not to have to many cuts from mis-matching focus's.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2012 01:05 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tonight I was in the right head for outer space and for the princess Ardaula and Buck! The sound was great and when ever I get into watching space movies it takes me there. I really like the BUCK RODGERS Super 8 mm color sound 200 reel it is very entertaining. It was put out by Universal 8. This short digest is good it has all the great scenes and the Princess looks great in that dance number.  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 02, 2012 01:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I well remember that dress of Ardala's Man! Even looking at it today, (we have the series on DVD) makes me wonder as to how they got away with her wearing that on network TV back then? There are a few shots when you really get to see her "hiney" ...

(is that how "hiney" is spelled? I don't know)

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2012 09:25 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah OSI see her "hiney" ! Wow I don't know how they did it but they did and I liked it! Well tonight I'm watching Mr. Joe trash a night club MIGHTY JOE YOUNG 400 foot digest super 8 sound. I just got from Pat. Wow thanks Pat your my bro. Now I want part 2 the Orphan kids get saved by our hero Joe. I cried in happiness for Joe returning to his home in Africa.  -  -

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 02:06 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The title of tonight's movie is not a reflection on me and has nothing to do with the aggravation I have been experiencing with the GS-1200, but I broke out a 16mm print of William Castles' HOMICIDAL (1961, 2 x 1600ft B/W)which is one of the better knock offs of PSYCHO...I am curious if anyone has seen the DVD release of this film and if that has the "fright break" near the end? My original print sadly has some lines that come and go, but is still a fun scare...

-

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2012 01:44 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing to watch in the halloween spirit, I used the GS tips I have received and watched a feature on the GS-1200 by running the sound out of the aux out...Tonights' scare was a Hammer film entitled Scars of Dracula (1970, Derann Super 8, 4 x 400ft) I may be in the minority but I have always thought this was one of the better Hammer Dracula's because it has some interesting inclusions such as the first depiction of Dracula scaling a wall, and the oft-criticized kill at the end...Someday I will hopefully replace this with the full 5 reel version but until then it is hard to go wrong with any Hammer Horror.

-

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2012 02:22 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,
I bought a new print of 'Scars' on its release in the mid 70's. There was a long waiting list for it.
It's a pity fade has set in on your print, colour was fine back then especially the last 400ft for some reason. The full version is the one to go for though, apart from the superior quality it restores the big continuity lapse on the 4X400 version that becomes obvious and jarring (IMO) after a few viewings.
regards.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2012 10:58 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal
yes hopefully I will pick up the 5 reel for both those reasons. The color fade is really odd in that many of the blues are still really great, but there is an overall reddish hue that plagues most of it.

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2012 09:06 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must have a later print...it's the uncut one and color and sharpness is perfect. Great opening scene and big finish. As George Burns used to say, "To be a sucessful act, all you need is a great opening and great finish and then you don't have to apologize for all the dull stuff in the middle."

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  109  110  111  112  113  114  115  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC