8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 109)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  106  107  108  109  110  111  112  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 06:24 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Stan and Ollie in "Two Tars" on 16mm. It's Blackhawk with magnetic sound (couldn't play the soundtrack as my Bell and Howell is optical only).

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 22, 2012 07:08 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent!

"Two Tars" was my first L&H. I have it in Super-8 from Blackhawk.

It started this exchange you hear a lot in my house:

"Who started all this?!"
"THEY DID!!"

It's either that or "That's the house up thaarrr...right on top if the stoop!"

Do you know what's on your soundtrack? My Two Tars has the Blackhawk musical score on it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 04:00 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve.
I have no idea what's on the soundtrack. I only have one 16mm projector capable of magnetic sound but the worm gear's gone. I would guess it's a music soundtrack. Lovely print and a very funny short. I hadn't seen it before.

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 04:32 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friday on 16mm:
OH HEAVENLY DOG
Good condition LPP print. Some minor scratches throughout and some sprocket repair at the beginning of reels 1 & 2.

Saturday, also on 16mm:
THE MOUSE AND HIS CHILD
Good condition print. Not low fade but holding it's color very well. Some minor scratches and splices throughout.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 05:23 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

We watched "Liberty" with Stan and Ollie. Stranded way atop, I think Hollywood Boulevard, on girders. Not only are they stuck on top but to add to the comedy Ollie has a crab caught in his pants and Laurel has a fish. Way down below you can see the streetcars. This is a very funny film. They make the most out of one prop. In the "Music Box" it's a Piano. In "Big Business" it's a Christmas Tree. And in this one it's a comedic ballet on top of a skyscraper. I have the Blackhawk sound print, which is just music.

[ July 23, 2012, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Richard Bock ]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 10:23 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In preparation for my big screening in Maine next week (and as a diversion from my recent GS1200 deliberations) I ran some test reels through my Pathescope Premier 28mm projector. I just had the motor rewound, and had to re-size the drive belt so I want to make sure everything is working in tip top shape before running the 100 year old film. The first was a reel that was marked as reel 2 of another title turned out to be an early split reel. The first half I am still not sure, but the second half was one of the most hilarious but brutal early comedies I have ever seen called THE MYSTERIOUS VILLA It is obviously an early french title, possibly with Andre Deed, that I haven't figured out the exact title yet. I also watched a professionally made home movie shot on Christmas day 1921 in Short Hills, NJ - trying to have my sister who is a professional genealogist track down the family..

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Dave Velazquez
Junior

- posted July 23, 2012 05:36 PM      Profile for Dave Velazquez   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Velazquez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and I watched a cartoon double feature:

Popeye At The Fair (beautiful color)
The Sorceror's Apprentice (not as bright as Popeye but gorgeous to behold regardless)

Then we screened Poltergeist that I happily just purchased from Steve Siegel on this forum. It is a Derann print and looking fantastic. The film arrived on 2 1200' reels. I had the joy of splicing it down onto 600' reels for my Elmo ST600 and I didnt lose a single frame in the process!

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2012 11:30 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys I went back to Mark Twain days with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer with Walter Brennan. It was a a nice night with a 400 reel nice print color super 8mm. I love the scene where Tom and Becky are in the cave and Tom in the court room Wow. The nife throw from Injon Joe.  -

[ July 26, 2012, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2012 01:57 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Willis Obrian !!!!!!!! ?????????????

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 26, 2012 03:35 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I watched Stan and Ollie in "Two Tars" on 16mm. It's Blackhawk with magnetic sound ...
Was this common with Blackhawk? 16mm with magnetic rather than optical sound?

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2012 02:04 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean Walter Brennan as Muff Potter' Not the maker of King Kong.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote: I watched Stan and Ollie in "Two Tars" on 16mm. It's Blackhawk with magnetic sound ...

I have catalogs from 1974 - 1982, and during that time they only offered optical sound for 16mm, magnetic sound for 8mm and Super 8.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 26, 2012 05:18 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote: I watched Stan and Ollie in "Two Tars" on 16mm. It's Blackhawk with magnetic sound ...

I have catalogs from 1974 - 1982, and during that time they only offered optical sound for 16mm, magnetic sound for 8mm and Super 8.

Yes, this is my experience too. Interesting. I'll start a separate topic so as not to interefere with the flow of this one.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 27, 2012 12:59 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Charley Chaplin in "The Pawn Shop"...8mm silent. The scene where he disassembles an alarm clock to see if it's working is hysterical.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2012 05:35 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I watched Charley Chaplin in "The Pawn Shop"...8mm silent. The scene where he disassembles an alarm clock to see if it's working is hysterical.
The look on Albert Austin's face throughout that scene is priceless -- especially on the way out when someone asks him for the time.

This short is especially relevant now with all the Pawn Shop reality TV shows on cable now. (Guilty pleasure alert.)

Janice,

May I ask what version you have? Is it the restored Van Bueren Blackhawk?

Thanks

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2012 11:12 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice-that is a hysterical film. we watch Chaplin films a lot and it's almost unreal how many laughs the films still get.

Dino-those films look great and a 28mm projector, amazing. I especially like the guy with the sharp points sticking through him. Don't tell me if he lives at the the end, I'll wait to see the film. [Cool]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 28, 2012 12:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks fopr those screenshots of "Tom Sawyer". I have that feature (3X600ft, with a trailer for "Snow White" at the beginning), and while the color does have a slight Kodak SP browning, I think that the color, from what I have seen of many prints of this, wasn't stellar to begin with, as, the "ABC Films" logo has perfect color at the beginning, then the feature is only so so color thorughout. Some scenes brilliant, others only passable.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2012 11:37 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Tom Sawyer". I have that feature (3X600ft, with a trailer for "Snow White" at the beginning
Wow Osi I am burning with envy! You lucky dog I love Tom . I wish I had the whole movie but my digest has all the best scenes. I love this movie so much as a kid I built a raft and sailed down the flood canals in Los Angeles. I got down about a mile and the cops stopped me and my Huck friend.

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2012 05:42 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BE BIG with Laurel and Hardy. A Super 8 sound print from Blackhawk. This is a much better film than its reputation indicates -- it is quite funny but the boot gag does go on too long. It's an "OK" print -- sharp but printed a bit dark. At least the faces aren't washed out.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2012 09:53 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Often we see films by ourselves and are familiar with the plot.

There was a special presentation of Way Out West at the Lowes State Jersey,
with about 400 people and when Sharon Lynn - Lola, beggs if her dear, dear,
daddy was dead, and Stan replies - I hope so, they buried him.
- The crowed roared so hard and long with laughter that it buried - you could
not hear Lola's next line- Oh, it can't be.

Unforgettable.
[Smile]

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2012 10:36 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The crowed roared so hard and long with laughter that it buried - you could
not hear Lola's next line- Oh, it can't be.

Without getting to far off topic -- this is unusual since Stan Laurel is on record stating that they usually edited the films to allow for the laughter -- so after a line or scene like that the actors would just stand around doing and saying nothing on film to allow the laughter to die down -- as in a live performance.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 01, 2012 01:43 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi

Nice story about about your LA rafting experence [Smile] If you check out "8mm print reviews", there is as bit of a write up on the movie itself.

I agree its one of the best on Super8 and a real joy to watch. I think it was filmed in two strip Technicolor.

Graham.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 01, 2012 05:30 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi,that little story of your raft prank shows a boy who had a
nice childhood.There was no need for computer games etc when
all you needed was your imagination.The film,I haven't seen for
over thirty years,but can still recall Injun Joe,Muff Potter,Aunt
Polly & cousin Sid,not to mention Becky.The cave scenes were especially well done.I myself loved the books as a youngster,and
Mark Twain, like Dickens, could certainly tell a tale.You've got a
little treasure there Laksmi,I'm envious.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 01, 2012 06:25 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movieland Magic 1946
Without doubt the nicest 16mm technicolor film in the collection and oh so interesting as we are taken on a tour of Warners in all its colourful glory. It’s so full of gorgeous colour and songs I don’t know where to start but the inclusion of ‘The Singing Dude’ amongst others makes this 20 minute spectacular a real treat to see. I think I’m right in that this is the longest episode WB made from the ‘Technicolor Specials’ as well.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2012 12:26 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I guess after Tom Sawyer I watched WIZARD OF OZ super 8 digest and it had nice color all the best scenes nuff said!!!  -

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  106  107  108  109  110  111  112  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC