8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 167)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  164  165  166  167  168  169  170  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2014 04:23 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we started with a Powell films Movietone Looking at Christmas Circus. This had good colour and sound.

Next up was a Barry Wiles release Butterfly Ball a Halas & Batchelor's animation. Now this had both fantastic colour and sound, really good print.

Now John Wayne in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon 400ft colour. Typical of Mountain Films. Unless you have seen the full film it would be a little hard to follow. The colour was good as was the sound. Print I would say average for the time.

Clint Eastwood trailer reel: MAGNUM FORCE, FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, THE GAUNTLET, TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARAH, JOE KIDD, THE ENFORCER. Some seemed to have a little fade, but possibly on the master material. The colour was really good on a couple only let down by the negative. Which was typical of trailers.

Lastly from Hugh Scott Derann's Dodge City. 3x400ft A good edit variable print quality a bit of fade, but if memory serves me even when I hired it from DJ Hurst it looked the same.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 16, 2014 04:54 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some more from my new collections ... Some are faded, sadly.

The Black and Whites are sound, except for Harold Lloyd's Assailing the Sultan

The L&H is a Walton 400' of Helpmates.
 -

The Toy Tinkers is on the Walt Disney Christmas 400', The Daffy Duck is Supressed Duck, Pete's Dragon, Pluto is Legend of Coyote Rock and the last is The Small One, 200'
 -

This is the two Mary Poppins extracts, Jolly Holiday and Super Nanny, Superman is the 200' version, Riwer Kwai is Columbia yellow cover, and the very faded one is The Robe, 400'

Tortoise and the Hare is silent, sadly
 -

[ August 18, 2014, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Vidar Olavesen ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 16, 2014 12:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which daffy Duck cartoon is that Vidar? Is that the one where Daffy is actually hunting Bug's Bunny? (a rarity!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 16, 2014 12:26 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't think this is too rare ... Supressed Duck and bear hunting

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 16, 2014 04:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The right print of "Pluto's Christmas Tree" still looks like a new Derann print of this title even the WDHM ones.

The colours and print quality is just superb on mine Vidar and looks like you got another of them!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 16, 2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is a swedish release ...
 -

-

Does have english sound, so very happy with that

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 16, 2014 05:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice cover Vidar! I haven't seen that one before. Mine is just a plain old WDHM release in English, however it must be a later one as it is on low fade stock and partners very well with Derann's Mickey Christmas Carol. That's how sharp and how good the colours are still!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2014 03:59 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar,

Is the 400' Bridge on The River Kwai packaged in the generic Columbia Films box?

Does this release have voice over narration?

The color is holding fairly well.

I am not familiar with some of the unidentified screen shots, especially the picture that is before Disney"s

Tortoise and the Hare?

Can you please explain?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 18, 2014 04:19 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edited the post. The faded image you refer to is The Robe, 400'. Sadly the most faded of the prints I got in this collection

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 18, 2014 08:55 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can Vidar (or someone else) share about Swedish prints (of course I am not asking THAT Swedish collection that we all knew... [Wink] )

Are these Swedish prints simply re-boxed from the WDHM? Meaning the lab was American but the cover was printed in Sweden? as happened to some UFA (Germany) prints.

--------------------
Winbert

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 19, 2014 02:42 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a quick request on here asking about Singing in the Rain Barry of Indi 8 came up trumps with both the MGM 400 foot extracts. Unbelievably the colour is very very good considering this is MGM. You probably all know these extracts are most of the songs rather than a cut down but I think it works really well. A quick clean up and there are very few marks on either of them and the posh cases are all in tact. The Mrs will be pleased with this little gem.
 -
 -

And to top it off I put on the two Derann Scope extracts from Westside story, a request I put through to Steve at the reel image and he had this in stock, great colour with the advantage that it has been joined onto one spool and re-recorded into stereo sound, really good sound to. A musical evening.
 -
 -

I thank Barry @ indi 8 and Steve Osborne for these two additions to my collection.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2014 12:04 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

What are the titles of the two scope extracts from West Side Story?

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 20, 2014 06:44 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One was titled Westside Story, Musical highlights,(the 400 footer) and the short 200 footer was originally titled America with two songs in it including Maria and of course America.
Joined together it has front and end titles, (edited)

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2014 05:56 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Thanks.

There was a Derann release, titled Officer Krupke and Quintet, and I was thinking that this is included as apart of your compilation? Are there any additional songs as "Jet" "Somewhere" "Tonight" "I Feel Pretty" "Cool" "A Boy Like That" "One Hand, "One Heart" songs?

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 20, 2014 07:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Michael,

"I Feel Pretty" is on the 400 foot "West Side Story" between "Krupke" and "Quintet".

I already had the 200 Footer ("Maria" and "America") and my son liked the songs so much he chose the 400 footer for my wife to buy me for Christmas (from him: he was about five or six at the time!).

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2014 11:23 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

That's a great story.

Your son has good taste, a kind heart and good parents that love him.

Thanks again.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 23, 2014 05:10 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing to watch through my new collection ...
 -

-

-

-

-

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2014 05:58 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lawrence of Arabia, 400 foot extract now mainly red and yellow (Triangle lab print on 3M stock) but as it is mainly desert scenes it does soil it much, Dastardly & Mutley "The Movies are Badder than Ever" (my first Super 8 colour sound extract purchase made before I had a sound projector) which has not faded much. Finally reel one of "Lust for a Vampire" Derann 4x400ft bought as a faulty print I think the print was under exposed so very pale but does not seem to have faded.

Sorry no pictures.

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2014 07:09 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished watching Lady & the Tramp and Revenge of the Sith features.
A bit of a odd double feature program but we had a great evening sitting in front of the new 12ft scope screen

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 23, 2014 08:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds fantastic Jason! What distance do you have the PJ away from the screen to fill a 12ft wide screen? Also what lens do you use Jason?

Mine is an electric 10ft diagonal but only 16:9 ratio as it was first purchased for my Video PJ.
It therefore doesn't give great depth to the picture when using it as a scope screen. I much prefer showing academy ratio prints on it and use the top and bottom and one side border to crop ever so slightly. Nice picture though on it at that size with a f1.1 Schneider Xenovaron lens.

[ August 23, 2014, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2014 08:33 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew ,how far back do you have to have your pj to get that size picture and does useing a f1.1 lens give you a bigger picture ,im not to up about picture sizes and lenses ,but thinking about buying a new lens to give a bigger picture if tat would ork ive got a f1:14 lens atthe mo on my sankyo 800 can i get a better one to give me a bigger picture ??

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 23, 2014 09:18 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I can fill my screen easily on around half of the zoom range using the lens I spoke about above.

I usually sit the PJ around 17-20ft away from the screen.

Your lens Nigel, should still fit a screen on my size around 20ft away on full zoom. You will obviously get a bigger brighter sharper picture from nearer using a faster lens eg f1.0 or f1.1.

For Sankyo 800 models the Sankyo F1.0 is the one to get if possible, they were an optional extra on these machines and were made specifically for the Sankyo 800.

--------------------

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2014 09:47 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok ,thanks i will try and track one of those down

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 23, 2014 09:53 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nigel, there are two kind of numbers on zoom lenses. One kind refers to the brightness, the other to the size of the picture. The two numbers references starting with 1 refer to the brightness. The lower is the second number, the brighter will your picture be. So a 1.1 zoom lens will give you a brighter image than a 1.4 for example. As far as I know, 1.0 is the brighter you can find. The size reference numbers work like this : the lower is the first number, the biggest the picture will be. A 12,5-20 zoom will for example give you a bigger picture size than a 15-25 lense. That said, when you go for a "better lens", you usually get a brighter and a bigger image (and also a sharper one but that cannot be traduct in numbers).

--------------------
Dominique

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 23, 2014 10:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GOOD HEAVENS VIDAR!

Your collection is really building at a nice clip and you appear to be lucking out on a lot of good color prints!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  164  165  166  167  168  169  170  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC