8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 99)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2012 12:38 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Blackhawk Mutuals that are scored seem complete, including the front title cards that uses a much nicer font than the BOLD BLACKHAWK LETTERING -- ALL IN CAPS!

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

|  IP: Logged

Leon Thomas Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2012 03:29 PM      Profile for Leon Thomas Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Gian Luca ,
I was wondering if you have any super8mm films from ciccio e Franco .They are my favorite Italian comedy .I have few of their shorts ,but all colour fade .If you have any I would be grateful to see few of their screen shots.

regards
Leon

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2012 06:38 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Leon, hope all is fine there.
Not really my cup of tea, so I'm afraid I cannot help with is.
Good luck.
[Wink]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2012 03:27 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we had a combination of shorts for kids such as Pups Is Pups (1930) on Super 8. According to Wikipedia, It is the first episode to feature the jazz-based background scoring that the Roach Studio comedies are known for. Some of the tunes included the "Hal Roach Happy Go Lucky Trio" (a.k.a. "Teeter Totter"), "Wishing", "Hide & Go Seek", "On To The Show", and "Confusion".
 -

Following Our Gang, we took a look at the German 200' Fantasia (1940) cut down, which everyone here loves. It was one of the first titles I got on Super 8 and it is still very repeatable or a nice edition to a screening at any point during the show. It has good color and the sound is very loud, the music by Tchaikovsky is mesmerizing.
 -

After the kids were in bed, it was time to watch our Super 8 copy of Alien (1979) which is faded but, apparently has an eBay estimated value of $200. [Roll Eyes] There are a lot of close ups in this cut down, a trademark of it's director: Ridley Scott. It's clear that the 20th Century Fox people put a lot of work into making this digest action packed, but still comprehensible. It's one of the better digests that I've seen.
 -  -

And finally, after some time in our collection, we put up Picture Mommy Dead (1966) on 16mm from the legendary Bert I. Gordon. This one has excellent LPP color with hardly any wear. I was lucky to find it in this condition as most of these are very faded and or worn. Don Ameche, Susan Gordon, and Zsa Zsa Gabor star...enough said!
 -  -

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2012 06:28 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald, these pics of Picture Mommy Dead are truly special.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 29, 2012 06:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Gerald, "Alien" is on of the best edits for a digest!

I was able to really luck out on the Super 8 version of the 1942 RKO edited version of Fantasia (running about 80 minutes), which was only released at that time.

RKO felt that the original running time of Fantasia was too long and despite Walt's protests, released an edited version, mostly overseas. This was one of many things that led Walt to eventually start his own Buena VIsta company, as he wanted complete control as to what the audiences saw, and not some "hack" editor choosing what should be seen. I don't blame him.

Apparantly, someone had found a 35MM print of this that had been chopped up and (believe it or not) they respliced it together (talk about dedication!) and in most of it, you really don't notice the splicing too much.

I wonder if the person who chopped it, was the same person who re-spliced it together, thinking to himself, "Hey, I was only contractually obligated to chop. They didn't say I couldn't keep the pieces!"

At any rate, It's a wonderful find if for no other reason than the censored out material is in it, mainly consisting of the deleted "Black Centuarettes" footage in the "Rite of Spring" portion.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 30, 2012 03:13 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BOGART (A MAN CALLED BOGART)
Interesting account of Humphry Bogart life and quite a good/reasonable print from Collectors Club.
 -

[ January 30, 2012, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2012 11:53 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I showed a number of films over the weekend, listed here in no particular order except for placing the scope material together. Super 8 on Elmo 1200 HD

Reaux Reaux Reaux Your Boat (walton/ inspector cartoon)

Napoleon Blown-Aparte (walton/ inspector cartoon)

Roller Coaster Rabbit

Love at First Bite (400ft)

Der fuehrer's face (watched this after the recent discussion on the forum)

Once upon a Mouse

The following shown in scope.........

those magnificent men in their flying machines (TRL)

El cid (TRL)

Summer holiday (TRL)

Daleks invasion earth 2150ad (TRL)

My fair lady (TRL)

this is scope 2 (derann compilation)

Star Wars saga rerelease (TRL)

bearly asleep (donald duck)

Rollercoaster (widescreen centre short)

Royal Cat Nap (tom and jerry)

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 08:21 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Bolex SP-80, with a new bulb socket, held up for a 400' short: Long Fliv the King. This turned out to be a sound copy on Super 8 by Blackhawk. Everything was good. Hopefully, this machine has many full-features in it.

-

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 08:12 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald-

Great stuff!!

I have "Pups is Pups" super 8, and its one of my faves.

Those pictures from "Picture Mommie Dead" REALLY bring back memories. I remember seeing it on TV in the early 70's. It was so scary back then. Every time it came on, me and my friends would go around singing "The worms crawl in, The worms crawl out......" song for months [Smile] . Took me many years to remember the name of this movie.

Thanks to all.

James.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 12:19 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A screening that initially started out as a test ride for my projector turned into quite a great experience. Duel in the Sun, by abc Pictures on five 400' reels, has quite an ambitious story. Of course, I'd prefer the full feature, yet I liked this abridgment. The image and sound were excellent. For now, this is the best non-B-&-W film I have.

Can someone tell me why the color is so red? Why isn't it natural?

-

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 02, 2012 12:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's faded, simple as that. It looks to be Kodak SP browning.

--------------------

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2012 12:47 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I thought it wasn't fade because my The Great Train Robbery has film that looks like this too.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 01:06 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw my KING KONG 3X400 and loved it! Wow the print was great and this movie still holds up after all these years. I love Digest super 8mmfilms . I just have to change 3 reels and get all the great scenes. I got a looking back at Kong review . I hope you guys like the screen shots and the NEW review. My review is my own original review so check it out. I have many more screen shots!  -

[ February 03, 2012, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 03, 2012 01:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's the original 1903 "Great Train Robbery" then you probably have a sepia toned copy of "Robbery", which is a Black and White image given a nice brownish feel (on color film stock) to give it a vintage look. Believe me, the print you posted on here has brilliant vibrant color when first released, and there are some here and there that no doubt still do.

--------------------

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 03:39 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Osi. I believe you. You know what, despite the fade I enjoyed Duel in the Sun. The colors are better than a copy of Saturday Night Fever I own. One thing both my color titles have in common is that sound is very good.

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 06:57 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laurel and Hardy: "Blotto" and "Helpmates"

Tex Avery: "Little Rural Riding Hood"...colors on my MGM print are still perfect!

"Hollywood and the Stars: The Great Directors"

From Derann: Pathe Looks at Life: "Sounds of a City" and "The Cinema Steps Out"

"I Love Lucy": "The Freezer"

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2012 07:26 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, "Little Rural Riding Hood," I have that one too. My wife thinks it's sexist. I think it's great.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 05, 2012 03:27 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched..
Smallest show on earth (Derann Derann)
Vampire Bat (CC)

Oh what a night of fun and in this freezing weather it was nice to warm our hands round the Elmo! Try that with a DVD player!!

[ February 08, 2012, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 08, 2012 05:31 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DCR Films.... Old Mother Riley Meets the Vampire.

Enjoyable evening again. [Cool]

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2012 05:04 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Film I saw last night was SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER on 400 foot reel digest . It has a nice digest with good contrast, little fanding, and some nice color shots. Highlights are of all dynanimation scenes . It is the only Ray Harryhausen film other then ( Clash of the Titans )were there is some nudity. And were the creatures that Ray creates is not the only thing you want to look at.  -
 -

[ February 09, 2012, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 11, 2012 03:40 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its been a while since I last used the GS1200, not a good thing to do. Anyway it ran like a "swiss watch" [Big Grin] and tonight we watched "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" on two Elmo reels 1/1200ft and 1/800ft. The Derann print was excellent really nice colour. I must admit that I have this movie also on Blu-ray, but watching it on Super8 with mono sound seems to me a lot better. [Smile]

Graham.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2012 04:05 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I had a few friends over and we watched, with great anticipation, King Kong (1933). Here's how I'd set up the screening room.

-

Sound on the first reel seems to be a bit poor. The picture was quite sharp though.

-

Once the story moved to the island, the grandeur captivated the audience. There were a few smirks here and there at the tribal culture but nothing really derisive.

-

Of course, in such films how can love be avoided. Of course, in tribal cultures how can the stereotypical sacrifice be avoided.

-

-

This was it! Kong arrived. The seller had assured me that this print is the uncut full feature. Watching Kong eat dinosaurs, and people, I think it is the full feature too. The violence in this film makes Peter Jackson's version feel like Finding Nemo. Speaking of oceans, when the Brontosaurus sinks the raft, it even felt like Jaws.

-

I created another collage of Kong on the Empire State Building, but have accidentally deleted it. Sorry!

The six of us who attended liked it very much. My guests even suggested I charge a dollar or two in future. Somehow, it doesn't seem right. We here want more folks to know what film is like. They must know what movies were like. Films are probably best showcased for free.

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2012 01:45 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

just screened one of my favourite Hammer horror movies, DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS, in a magnificent cinemascope and excellent colors and of course, re-recorded in Italian!

Thanks Derann! [Smile]

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Ciao
Flavio

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2012 12:02 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice KING KONG pics Akshay! And Flavio nice Drac pics! Darkness was my favourite Hammer Film. Thanks you guys for sharing. See you all at the movies..

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC