8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 104)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 13, 2012 09:21 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that Ken Films released Equinox because of a connection with producer Jack H. Harris. Harris may possibly be the producer with the most releases on 8mm! Republic (later Ken) put out The Blob, The 4D Man and Dinosaurus. Then Ken released Master of Horror and Equinox. Dark Star was distributed both as a digest and a full length feature by Iver Film Services. Piccolo Film had a 2x400' German language The Eyes of Laura Mars. Equinox was also released as a 4x400' feature by Powell.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2012 11:15 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

When I played the Disney digests my nieces were terribly disappointed.
The youngest one picked up on the two Bedknobs and Broomsticks cutdowns
and that one edition had an ending that belonged on the end of the other.
reel.
Why?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2012 03:32 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only heard of Fritz Lang's Spies a few weeks ago. That was when a friend, with two copies, offered to sell me one. Here are pics from a trial run of the first reel; appears to be another Blackhawk beauty.

I really want to watch this!

-

-

-

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2012 12:15 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After Barry's topic of the Chinon DS 300, I pulled out my DS 300 and watched print of Hollywood Film Exchange Bulldog Jack a.k.a. Alias Bulldog Drummond. The screen shots with my phone didn't turn out well [Frown]

Fay Wray looks better as a blonde than as a brunette in this movie...and IMHO she was over credited with second billing when she only had a couple lines every now and then.

Over all, not a bad comedy/drama from the U.K.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 14, 2012 12:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really do appreciate the Blackhawk Standard 8mm releases, as most tend to be pin sharp marvels!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2012 03:10 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Osi. The print of Spies was very very good and the feature was quite nice too.

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2012 12:31 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched Thunderbird print of a hammy cue card reading 1932 feature...The Hurricane Express. I'm sure glad no one in Hollyweird held this movie against John Wayne when it came time for casting future movies. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2012 06:03 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne,

It's difficult to believe that the Hurricane Express was originally a chapter serial.

I'm currently hoping to find the trailer to this title.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2012 07:10 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like serials, and that is why it was gifted to me...the person who gave it to me knew that and thought it was a serial. In fact I was on the phone with him between reels and the subject came up was this title a serial or feature...

By the time all the "serial" stuff was edited out it makes a run time of right at 78 minutes although IMDB lists the edited at 79 minutes [Razz]

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2012 08:16 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne,

Cool. [Cool]

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2012 08:38 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the 200 foot Super 8 mm TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA nice color and contrast nice but I wish Disney had done a full feature and a nice 400 " Digest. I have a RESTORED article in the forum check it out I went to the showing in Hollywood last weekend.  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 17, 2012 12:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the foreign super 8 digest of this, as it ran 300ft and was letterboxed and a nice sharp print. Anybody wish to share screenshots from it?

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2012 01:05 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi here are some screen shots from my 200 ft 8mm Disney Super 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA " MONSTER FROM UNDER THE SEA" Any body knows who is selling the foreign super 8 digest of this 300 ft or feature let me know ?  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2012 01:10 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pics, Laksmi. The colors are pretty good in these pics, so am guessing they are actually very very good.

Eric Ray
Junior

- posted April 20, 2012 10:13 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched some NASA footage of Apollo 11 and 12

-

and some Laurel and Hardy in Sugar Daddies

-

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2012 06:07 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished up watching Fritz Lang's M

I watched one reel a night the past week. It is the super 8 silent feature. It is the uncut version. I have the film on laserdisc and it is the 99 min version. The super 8 print (although silent) is the long 110 min version and the quality is very good. Very powerful film.

Here are a couple screen shots from the last reel with my cell phone:

-
 -

Bill [Smile]

Eric Ray
Junior

- posted April 22, 2012 08:17 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched some more Laurel & Hardy in Habeas Corpus. I saw some Sherlock Holmes in 8mm on Ebay but I do not have a projector that can handle 1200ft reels.

-
 -

The film was a little washed out during the first half. It became better during the second half.

Eric Ray
Junior

- posted April 24, 2012 08:11 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched a silent Castle digest of Hopalong Cassidy in Bar 20 Rides Again.
 -

-

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 25, 2012 06:09 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LET ME SING 1933
200ft Collectors Club
This was released around the final year of Collectors Club operating as a business selling low cost package movies. By this time they had switched to a slightly better printed film stock for better results and the magnetic stripe had even got better for sound recording. Let me Sing is a musical reel which features Al Jolson, Harry Langdon amongst others and is taken from the 1933 film Hallelujiah, I’m a tramp (Bum). The feature is quite unusual in many ways and this little reel is a nice episode from the movie which is an entertaining slice of Hollywood history if you like vintage material that is. Sound quality is good and has that sort of deep crisp sound the old Warner musicals used to have which is always a pleasure to hear let alone watch the film. The master material used had a few marks but on the whole not bad for CC.

As mentioned about a year later from the release of this short Collectors Club were no more and I missed them at that time having been ‘in the club’ for some time like many others. Derann picked up the negative I seem to remember and did prints as well but they were missing one tiny thing, that little yellow or blue box Collectors Club members looked forward to receiving along with the film inside it.
Happy days.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2012 09:45 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did not take pictures but watched a ton of movies this weekend... Friday night I screened a gorgeous 16mm LPP print of ANNIE HALL for a group of USC cinema students that wanted to experience a film screening.

Saturday I programmed an entire day of films for a group of friends here in Long Beach that get together to watch films periodically. The films were as follows:

9.5mm
Bonzo the Traveller (animated, 1925, 1 reel)
Shiver and Shake (paul parrott, 1922, 1 reel)
Belle's of Liberty (Monty banks, 1918, 1 reel)

The Vagabond Queen (Betty Balfour, 1929, 3 reels)
Robert macaire (Jean Angelo, 1925, 3 reels)
manon Lescaut (Lya DePuti, 1926, 3 reels)

16mm
shorts
Down Memory lane with George Jessel 1 reel short from 1950'
On With the New (Betty Boop, 1938, 1 reel)
His Own Law (William Boyd, 1918, 2 reel kodascope)
The Devil's Assistant (Margarita Fischer, 1917, 2 reels)

features
His majesty Bunker Bean (Matt Moore, 1925, 5 reel kodascope)
Du barry (Norma Talmadge, 1930, 8 reels)
Kelly The Second (Patsy Kelly, Charley Chase, 1936, 7 reels)
Wolf Dog (Allison Hayes, 1958, 6 reel regal scope print)

started at 11am and went until 10pm...

Then Sunday my wife and I went to see Cabin in the Woods which I give an A + + in regards to modern horror films....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2012 05:47 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! friends last night i screened the terminator i love this film and the arnold has one great performace ,i nice print from our beloved derann...
regards

luis caramelo

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 30, 2012 09:17 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Standard 8mm color/sound Columbia shorts:

Cowboy (faded)
Gerald McBoing Boing (surprisingly good color)
The Jaywalker (quite a strange 1956 cartoon, faded)

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 30, 2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Friday night my son's Cub Scout Pack had their monthly Pack Night. Every April they have a bakeoff where the cakes follow a theme, and they structure the night's events to fit.

This year they chose "A Night at the Movies". At the planning meeting somebody came up with "Steve Klare has movie projectors and real films.", so I was asked to do a film for the boys. I said “Yes.” (Scrooge himself couldn’t say “No.” to the Cub Scouts!)

To me the prospect was a little bit...challenging: when you get down to it what this was about was showing up with a 35 year old machine and having a fine opportunity to have it flame out in front of about a hundred people, many of who don’t get the whole “film thing” and therefore might think I'm an idiot!

So I took my most trusted machine (Elmo ST-800: not sexy but simple!) and popped off the back cover. The belts had a couple of small splits so I ordered a new set and installed them. The lamp is recent so I left it alone and just brought a spare.

The room we use has a full time sound system, and given a little prep. time I bet I could have connected in, but in the interest of keeping it simple I stayed unplugged. For a few days before I used the machine on the internal speaker just to be sure it still works.

I got the school to find me a genuine projector cart, which had probably felt the weight of many a machine back in 16mm days. It was in the back room loaded with copy machine paper. The custodian I talked to about this was maybe 25 (not a clue…).

I was ready, but it was still iffy: It was a bigger screen than I’ve ever projected on and I was running a hundred watt bulb, and the room was big and full of hyperactive boys for my little round speaker to overcome. The film was The Little Rascals “Hook and Ladder”(Blackhawk): black and white and maybe a little ancient for even some of the parents. Still the same: great film, great print too.

A few minutes later I had a nice big image up on stage and the acoustics of the room allowed the machine to operate below half volume. The boys and their parents loved the movie too. What a rare thing to see this bunch sitting quietly paying attention to anything!

I looked up at my Elmo humming along like it was two weeks old, and I thought “Ahhh! That’s why I do this stuff!

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 30, 2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks 4 those screenshots of "M". I've always admired that film. I think it's a perfect example of taking a horrifying storyline and without trashy exploitive imagery (likie we would today), tell a story that, though we're disgusted by the character, we watch, none the less.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 30, 2012 09:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Steve, I like the cake [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC