8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 174)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  171  172  173  174  175  176  177  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 27, 2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a nice looking trailer for the Beatles film. Most of the trailers I have ran into for Beatles films have tended to on old pinky Eastman and so they have naturally faded ...

Except for one reel that has exceptional color, but it's all slightly fuzzy to look at.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2014 01:06 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi, all four of them (Yellow Submarine, Help,Let it Be and A Hard Days Night) are LPP and so still look great.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2015 02:58 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An extremely well worn and faded print of one of my absolute favorite guilty pleasures THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER (1982, Super 8 6 x 600ft, re-recorded into English). I have always felt this was equal parts Horror / Douglas Fairbanks adventure with Lee Horsley doing the best Fairbanks homage I've ever seen.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2015 03:23 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,
Well New Years eve was spent watching what Santa brought me via Ian at perry's - a Walton trailer reel - witch finder General, curse of the Crimson alter and hannie Calder. Then Eric Sykes and Harry Secombe in Rhubarb, followed by George Formby in No Limit and finished with Thats Entertainment then the Roger Moore thriller Gold on Blu ray followed by Carry on Constable on DVD. On New Years day - I screened the feature prints of Mary Poppins and Horror Express. Not sure what I'll screen today - but I'll let you know.

Dave

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2015 06:07 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I kid you not but I watched 'Rhubarb' last night too! I followed this with Ronnie Barker's 'Futtocks End'.

-

-

-

-

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2015 10:53 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jonathan,

I've now got Rhubarb, Futtocks End and The Plank - all the classic silent - well almost silent - colour visual comedies from Eric Sykes and Ronnie Barker.

Dave

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 02, 2015 12:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dino! Another print that I didn't know was released on super 8? Do you happen to know who did it?

That British comedy reminded me of my 600ft "The Picnic", so I screened it last night. Wonderful old school, slightly naughty British humor!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 02, 2015 03:45 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got around to view a film again. Been quite low on energy during Christmas

Spaceballs, optical Super 8 on 2x800'
 -

Mel Brooks in a couple of roles too :-)
 -

Daphne Zuniga
 -

-

Joan Rivers as the voice of Dot Matrix
 -

John Candy is missed, at least by me ... He's a Mog, half man, half dog and his own best friend :-)
 -

Rick Moranis as Dark Helmet
 -

John Hurt, a big favorite of mine ... Oh, no ... Not again
 -

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2015 04:46 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,'The Plank' is a classic. Like 'Rhubarb',it was remade for Tv. I prefer the originals, though.
Osi, I didn't know 'The Picnic' had a super 8 release.
Vidar, I remember seeing 'Spaceballs' on its first day of general release at The Odeon York in the UK. I saw it with some mates and was crying with laughter. Saying that, it was the last day of the Uni term and we had had a few beers too many!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 03, 2015 09:13 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched two features : one I already watched recently but wanted to see again : Ciné folies, a compilation of songs and extracts from (early talkies) French films and the film La grande illusion from Jean Renoir with Jean Gabin. The film has an optical sound track and is in good condition. Once again, I Wonder if airplanes companies (or should I say Air France) showed films like that on board or if optical films were released for other purposes.

--------------------
Dominique

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2015 11:55 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar, your print of Spaceballs looks really faded. I thought that by the time this film was made, 1987, all optical films where on LPP? Have you been really unlucky with this one?
I have a copy of this title myself and the stock definitely are LPP. Unfortunately I have no photos, but I scanned a couple of frames to show the difference.

-

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2015 06:32 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we had a bit of an Elvis night to celebrate what would have been his 80th birthday(Jan 8th)

Loving You,G.I Blues,Frankie & Johnny,Viva Las Vegas and Live a Little love a Little trailers

400ft of Girls Girls Girls, Fun in Acapulco and Change of Habit

3x400 of Viva Las Vegas

tonights will be 68 TV Special and Aloha from Hawaii.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 09:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Got quite a few of the Elvis features and really enjoy them despite the fact the scripts are often very flimsy at best! Ha ha

Never had the Derann 3x400 low fade cut down of Viva Las Vegas yet but would love to find a decent copy one day. All the ones I have seen are quite dark in contrast. Is yours the same Mark?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2015 09:58 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,
Yes the films aren't Oscar winners but great fun, some better than others of course but I do enjoy them.

I used to have the Derann Viva Las Vegas release and the colour on it was lovely but I have heard a few dark ones were sold, my copy is a UFA German release and very nice, I just had to rerecord it into English but does sound great, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 10:03 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Mark! That must have been fairly tricky being that it is an abridged feature. I really like the quality of the UFA releases I see and given your re record, That must be quite a spectacle I bet!

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2015 10:11 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew, it's one of the better abridged features to do because it has quite long segments so not too much start stopping, In stereo and on the big screen and one of the better films it's well worth getting.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 10:14 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds it Mark. I am always on the look out for one but now you tell me it isn't too bad to re~record, I will broaden my horizons to the German prints also. [Smile]

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2015 11:19 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,
Get a good Derann print as they are out there,i sold mine and wished i hadn't, the UFA prints are good too but some faded ones on offer,low fade copies do come up though as i have one,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 11:43 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure what my print is really. 1200' reel I got from the norwegian club. Looks okay to me at least

-

-

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2015 12:01 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks a nice print Vidar.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 12:12 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks superb to me Vidar, that surely must be the Derann print.

--------------------

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2015 07:53 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just screened "Gremlins" this was a Durann print. It switched between open matte and matted 185:1
Very nice color and contrast, ran very smooth on my Elmo ST1200 fitted with a 300 watt ELH lamp.
Sound was clean and clear as well. A very enjoyable print.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 17, 2015 08:02 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a fantastic print is the old Derann (not Durann... that was once a name of an old New Romantic Pop Band though spelt differently) print of Gremlins.

I have one myself and treasure it. Derann at the very beginnings of their renaissance Hey Day!

BTW: If anyone ever gets confused about how to spell Derann better than a 4 year old would, here is my advice:

The word was made up of the proprietor's of the Business that the newly married couple of Derek and Ann formed.

As their title suggests, Derek and Ann very conveniently make Derann, first three letters of Derek, last and only three letters of Ann (the traditional English way of spelling this name as opposed to my wife Anne).

So with this in mind, hopefully all gawd awful recreations of this that we most frequently see, will be corrected in future.

R U watching you vast majority that are ignorant E Bay sellers???

--------------------

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2015 01:32 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The word was made up of the proprietor's of the Business that the newly married couple of Derek and Ann formed.

As their title suggests, Derek and Ann very conveniently make Derann, first three letters of Derek, last and only three letters of Ann (the traditional English way of spelling this name as opposed to my wife Anne).

This makes it easy to remember, nice story.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 21, 2015 10:16 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Sunday night I was in the second night of a three day weekend. I decided to mount up the anamorphic and run a couple of Derann 'scope musical extracts and crank the sound.

Do-Re-Mi (Sound of Music)
America (West Side Story)
Summer Nights (Grease)

The sound on these is spectacular. I was in full bass thumping, china cabinet rattling glory!

The next day my wife (upstairs watching NCIS...) voiced some mild objections. I asked "Why, could you hear it?" She said "Hear it?! I could feel it!

It seems I'm going to get a set of headphones out of this!

They say no good deed goes unpunished, but I guess that also means no bad deed goes unrewarded!

Maybe I'll get a much bigger amp and wind up with my own backyard theater! (...or living with my Mom!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  171  172  173  174  175  176  177  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC