8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 209)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  206  207  208  209  210  211  212  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2017 06:29 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin....I don't own "The Electric Horseman" but just a few weeks ago was at Steve Osborne's annual outdoor show and enjoyed a screening of the 2 parter. It is very well edited and the print was sharp and had good color too. I liked it.

Bill [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2017 12:58 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill - I think your comments completely justify my remarks on the previous message. After all, Steve is not likely to project lousy quality films at one of his events that showcases his business.
My copy,although very sharp and well edited, has just an oh so slight evidence of fade. Nevertheless,projection-wise the adapted widescreen image was rock steady and the film just seemed to slide through the projector. To be honest, I was testing it with a view to selling it. Not now,though !!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2017 04:19 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emily (Koo Stark) Walton 3x400ft on late Fuji acetate. Unfortunately an ex-rental print so rather scratched, badly on reel one. However colour is still perfect, especially skin tones, which is essential for this one as there is a lot of skin on display, though not in this post.
 -
 -
 -
 -

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2017 05:57 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had quite a long session this evening amid all the premature fire works and rockets and bangs going off outside a day early because it is a Saturday night. (In the UK,Sunday November 5th is bonfire/firework night when we celebrate (!) Guy Fawkes attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament in London in the year dot.Why do we celebrate failure???!!)

Anyway......tonight's helping of celluloid was...

3x 400' Star Trek - "The City On The Edge of Forever" - my all time favourite episode.

5x 400' - For the Love of Ivy starring Sidney Poitier in which he is set up on a sort of "blind date or be black-mailed" to meet the housemaid of a wealthy family and,of course, eventually falling for her.

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2017 03:35 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two film shows on consecutive nights is good going.... even for me!

Tonight I decided that instead of deafening my ears with the sound of fireworks, rockets and bangers going off everywhere, I would,instead,deafen my ears with the sound of chainsaws.... courtesy of Mr.T.Hooper esquire!

--------------------

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2017 11:05 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Casablanca, My first feature purchase ( Ken Films, 6 X 400' now on 1 X 1200' and 1 X 800' ). I was disappointed in first viewing this print due to the number of numerous and annoying black lines. After reading several posts I went back to it with two thorough cleanings with Filmguard ( wonderful stuff! ) Now the print looks great except for an emulsion scratch at the extreme right of the frame in the second ( 800' ) reel, lasting a couple of minutes. All in all, a watchable print I had almost given up on.
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ November 13, 2017, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2017 03:14 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burton - My all time favourite bar none. I, too, have most of it on super 8 but am still searching for part 1 and part 6, which, I believe, would only be about 200' as it is only the last 5 minutes or so of the film.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 13, 2017 03:55 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burton, it looks great to me,

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 13, 2017 03:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burton, it looks great to me,

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2017 01:08 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the sentiments.expressed about this classic. I was nervous purchasing it without any description other than "Good Quality". It was a reasonable price too...Not sorry after all that I was lucky enough to acquire this one. Flaws and all.

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2017 01:10 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duplication.

[ November 14, 2017, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2017 03:44 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder is gives Emily on 3x400 feet, i have only the 1x400 feet Version.
Great Pics

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 15, 2017 11:44 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin ... you're right GREAT episode! How has the color held up on you're episode. Most of those super 8 prints have faded but i have heard of a few that were apparantly printed on either good film stock or just "archived" smartly and have held up.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2017 02:09 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - That Star Trek episode of mine still has pretty good colour in it to be honest. Yes, there is slight fade but not nearly as bad as other films I have witnessed. Still very watchable!

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2017 05:24 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to treat myself to a Friday Night at The Flicks tonight.

I had intended to watch some 16mm but, after switching the projector on for the first time in possibly a couple of years, it was oh so poorly, so needs some attention.

So, it was back to good ole super 8

On the menu this evening.....

Carrie 2x 400' (why,oh,why was this two separate extracts and not a mini feature?)

Beau Hunks - Laurel and Hardy - 2x 400' a very good Blackhawk print with possibly the best sound I have heard from a Laurel and Hardy film on super 8

Footlight Parade - James Cagney and Ruby Keeler - 2x 400'. Busby Berkeley.... what a genius!

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2017 12:55 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"(why,oh,why was this two separate extracts and not a mini feature?)"

The UA contract with Derann was very complicated! One stipulation was that although 2 or 3 400ft versions of a title could be released, each 400ft extract had to be self contained and not continuous.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2017 05:28 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rob.

I asked it in a kind of frustrating "throw your hands up in the air in despair" way as opposed to as a direct question as I already suspected I knew the answer. It is a real shame, especially for Carrie, as the editing points that could be used between the two reels to make one longer film, are pretty obvious.

I assume 2x 400' like "Jaws" which DO follow on, had nothing to do with Derann? (That answer I DON'T know!!)

--------------------

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2017 10:37 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,

Those titles like Jaws and The Sting to name but 2 - were skillfully edited digests by Universal 8.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2017 10:44 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick last point as it's off topic, but 400ft UA extracts were edited by a well known member of the film community and were skillfully done to provide coherent separate parts, so as not to breach the contract, but also very easily re-cut into one long coherent version.

Very cunning... [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

In fact, a well known film reviewer at the time (nod, nod, wink, wink) noticed this and pointed out how easily this might be done (nod, nod, wink, wink...) [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Smile]

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2017 06:04 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Germany gives a 2x400 feet Version from Carrie, when you have the Derann Version to, you can cut a lot in the German Version.

Coming from Marketing Film

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2017 10:12 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
December 26, 2017

Christmas screening

Benn Hur

Scope-stereo-full length

-

-

-

-

-

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2017 10:59 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice screening room Chip. I always admired your projection booth it is a true projection booth with the very best. The picture is dark but I see you are using a 35mm rollers for transport as well as a 35mm Kelmar film cleaner and a 35mm scope lens, way to go.
Picture looks very sharp and bright.
How wide is your scope screen? are you using port glass?

Thank you!!

"Happy New Year" to all my friends on Film-Tech.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2018 01:24 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking back at 2017, here are my screenings for the entire year.

The format of the listing is: Date / Title / Media / Day of week it was shown.

Begin text:

CGC SCREENINGS 2017
DATE: TITLE: MEDIA: DAY:
1/2/17 GONE WITH THE WIND SUPER 8 MON
2/19/17 THE GROUND ROUND FILM SHORTS SUPER 8 SUN
2/22/17 HIS GIRL FRIDAY SUPER 8 WED
3/5/17 OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU DVD SUN
3/7/17 PRIVATE LIFE OF HENRY THE 8TH SUPER 8 TUE
3/14/17 THE MAN IN THE MOON DVD TUE
3/21/17 THE BLUE ANGEL SUPER 8 TUE
4/21/17 SWING HI SWING LO SUPER 8 SUN
4/23/17 SELECT CARTOON SHORTS SUPER 8 SUN
4/30/17 KENNEL MURDER CASE SUPER 8 SUN
5/7/17 SERIAL REEL 1 PIRATE TREASURE SUPER 8 SUN
5/7/17 SHORT FILMS ON BIG REELS SUPER 8 SUN
5/9/17 REPEAT OF MAY 7 SUPER 8 TUE
5/13/17 THE FOUNDER DVD SAT
5/23/17 MOONRAKER R.I.P. ROGER MOORE SUPER 8 TUE
5/29/17 SERIAL REEL 2: PIRATE TREASURE SUPER 8 MON
5/29/17 A BUG'S LIFE SUPER 8 MON
6/11/17 GRAVITY DVD SUN
6/14/17 SERIAL REEL 3: PIRATE TREASURE SUPER 8 WED
6/14/17 EVEN MORE SHORT FILMS ON BIG REELS SUPER 8 WED
6/22/17 SERIAL REEL 4: PIRATE TREASURE SUPER 8 THUR
6/22/17 FILM SHORTS SUPER 8 THUR
6/23/17 EVEN MORE SHORT FILMS ON BIG REELS SUPER 8 FRI
6/26/17 SERIAL REEL 5: PIRATE TREASURE SUPER 8 MON
6/26/17 ROAD TO BALI SUPER 8 MON
7/7/17 OF HUMAN BNONDAGE SUPER 8 FRI
7/10/17 RAIN SUPER 8 MON
7/26/17 SECRET WEAPON & MARS ATTACKS THE WORLD SUPER 8 WED
8/28/17 CINDERELLA SUPER 8 MON
8/30/17 SKILLS, BRAINS, GUTS: MUHAMMAD ALI SUPER 8 WED
9/6/17 ROAD TO BALI SUPER 8 WED
9/18/17 THE SHADOW STRIKES SUPER 8 MON
9/18/17 A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA SUPER 8 MON
10/5/17 THE DIAMOND MERCENARIES SUPER 8 THUR
10/10/17 SWISS MISS L&H SUPER 8 TUE
10/13/17 THE BOHEMIAN GIRL L&H SUPER 8 FRI
10/17/17 UTOPIA L&H SUPER 8 TUE
10/17/17 SONS OF THE DESERT L&H SUPER 8 TUE
10/26/17 SONG OF THE SOUTH SUPER 8 THUR
11/3/17 MINIONS DVD FRI
11/13/17 SAPS AT SEA /W/ PARDON US L&H SUPER 8 MON
11/17/17 GUNG HO SUPER 8 FRI
11/28/17 TENNESEE'S PARTNER SUPER 8 TUE
12/26/17 BEN HUR SUPER 8 TUE

TOTALS: SUPER 8: 36 *
DVD: 5
FOR THE YEAR: 41
* INCLUDES SERIAL IN PARTS

In my booth I hold a clip board. It has a blank spreadsheet and as the films are played the end of the night the screening is written down. At the end of year it is manually entered to the spreadsheet or word processor. In this process a copy is saved on the hard drive. A hard copy goes to the clip board as record. A blank page with lines is printed and the process begins again.

This was one of my most active years with super 8 of all time. It began in January when a friend cleared out most of his super 8 and gave that's right GAVE it to me. He said did I want it I said sure if it was free. These are the titles listed regarding film shorts. I got enough films from Gary that I needed to buy a case of Goldberg reels (300.00) and it appears there is over 40 hours of screen time. It was a lot of fun. I got films I didn't know existed - and I got films that I only wished I could have gotten when they were new back in the good old days.

Gary still plays with super 8, but he is more of a 16mm guy which is perfectly fine. Many of these films showed signs of aging. A few were thrown away as they could not be shown due to torn sprockets, lots of splices, or really bad fade. The reels that were discarded were mostly 200 footers. I know we all hate to throw this stuff away and cringe at the thought. I knew some of you might be interested - but I just couldn't let a film go out the door to someone else in that condition.

The year of super 8 2017 will go down in history as one of the very best for me. From supersizing my collection to running with GS 1200 machines......WOW!

~ CG ~

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2018 01:43 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip I like you idea of taking notes during each screening. Look at that film list, you have some nice titles. I hope I get to screen half of your yearly viewing this coming year:)

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 02, 2018 02:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, it is a great idea to do this, as already covered on here, we have an excel list of every single film trailer and promo we have, after every single screening i date the viewing of the film we show and also add any notes in another column as well as have a separate column for the date a film was last cleaned.
This list is invaluable for an anal nut case like me because as soon as i see a problem, a line or fade its noted and then i can decide the next time i view it whether it needs another clean, extra leader or sold on if the fade on older prints starts to creep in or has got much worse.
What worries me is how you can see how time flies by, i look at some titles and see the last view date is in some cases over 5 years ago. [Wink]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  206  207  208  209  210  211  212  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC