8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 210)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  207  208  209  210  211  212  213  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2018 11:14 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like your idea Tom of using an excel spread sheet, going forward I will do the same.
Tom don't worry, your not the only nutcase on this forum [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 16, 2018 01:28 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Checking out some spare Disney Super8 prints tonight on the GS I bought a few years ago......only just got around to watching them [Roll Eyes]

1...The Old Mill
2...The Three Caballeros

Both have really good color and sound [Smile]

Another couple of Super 8 films that I have been slow at getting around to watch.

"Panorama International Productions"

1...Grand Canyon... "A Journey Into Discovery"
2...Pearl Harbor Attack...and the USS Arizona Memorial.

Both above films on two very full 200ft reels in excellent condition, as well as being in excellent color and sound....very interesting films... very well made.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 16, 2018 01:17 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, i am pleased to hear it. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 17, 2018 12:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iliked seeing you're "Ben Hur", Chip! It looks like you got one of the better color copies. I have an L.P.P. scope print of this, but it has a slightly bluish cast to the color. Still, a nice sharp scope print, to be sure. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 17, 2018 12:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Graham!

Up until just now I thought I had every Panorama International travelogue ever to exist!

Panorama International

-now the quest begins! (...again!)

I have "The Old Mill", it is an excellent cartoon: it's kind of the "Pre-Fantasia". What's fun is it came with a cinema advert spliced in back of it: 1960s retail in Birmingham. There's a hairdresser, an appliance seller and a camera shop: big hair, reasonable monthly payments and brand new Bolexes!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2018 01:08 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I read that "The Old Mill" was one the first (if not the first) film to use the multi-plane camera.

However mine last night was first the Blu Ray of Logan's Run followed by the MGM cut down. I was surprised how well edited it was and that the colour and definition was a lot better than I remembered. I bought the print new from Perry's in Wimbledon it cost then more than twice the Blu Ray did now without adjustment for inflation!!!!!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 17, 2018 01:53 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian

I read the same regarding "The Old Mill"...brilliant animated film.

Steve.

Pearl Harbor....I came aross this film by accident, it was not in its original box, but the previous owner put it in a nice tuscan 400ft reel. However the original cover was attached to the box,.. all the best with your search....this is what the cover looks like.
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 19, 2018 08:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its been years since I last screened my Walton print I bought new, way back in the 1970s of "The Two Mouseketeers" so was very happy to find the color still looks great.
 -
 -
Another excellent Derann release was "Reflections UK"..
 -

Here is a link to that evening... [Smile]

https://vimeo.com/251754574

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 20, 2018 02:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More shorts the other night...

Universal Studio Tour...a little bit faded, but not to bad, still very interesting to watch.
 -
Another 200 footer from "A Reel Image" this B/W short I had never heard of before, and came with a pile of other films. Its called "The World Of Kids". I understand it recieved a Acadamy award back in 1952, and to be honest, I cant think why. What parents encouraged there kids to do as shown in this film like todlers with boxing gloves whaking each other. Some scenes were ok, however the general tone of this "award film" makes Peter Brook 1962 "Lord Of The Flies" looks like a Sunday day school picnic outing in comparison. The only good thing about "The World Of Kids" would be to show people how not to bring up kids.

After that depressing short, I needed something to cheer me up...ah! what better that this one, with excellent color and sound it was a reel treat.
 -

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2018 04:21 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham-"Reflections UK" was just magnificent. Have you tried to name all the films in there? Reminds of some films we did for Chuck Workman years ago.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 20, 2018 06:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Larry

Got some [Smile] I think that in itself might make a good topic [Cool] [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 23, 2018 03:49 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing at bit of comparison the othe night, between the blu-ray and the Super8 print of "The Black Stallion" I notice that after taking Thomas advice and moving the lamp holder on the GS1200 back 10mm, the brightness of screen image looks a lot better.

Screen shots from the Super8 print taken last night...
 -
 -
 -

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2018 04:02 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I ask Thomas, or may someone describe or link to Thomas' information on how to move back the lamp holder on the GS 1200 to increase the brightness in order for the screen image to look better.

Is the ESC 200W lamp used in this application without modifications to the shutter blade, and is a specific lens also?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2018 12:22 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Superb! Very nice, Graham. Both your print and your lamp adjustment. Standards to admire.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 24, 2018 12:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael

Its only if you are using a 250 watt ELC that you need to move the lamp holder back the 10mm because of the way those 250watt lamps concentrate the light on the gate. However in saying that, I have not tried the 200 watt EJL out in that position as yet, it might work better, but not sure, but if it does not improve things its simple enough to put the lamp holder back in its original position....it might be worth trying out.

Moving the lamp holder back is easy as its only held on with a couple of screws, you will however need to drill a hole in it... [Smile]

Burton..thanks "The Black Stallion" on Super8 is good and easy to focus, here is a an interesting comparison between the blu-ray and Super8 [Roll Eyes]

This is Super8
 -
and this is the blu-ray..
 -
notice the blue...I prefer the 8mm in this scene as it looks more natural. I felt that although the blu-ray is very good the Super8 handled the dark scenes better.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2018 12:29 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also shows how good Super 8 could be, I prefer the look of the Super 8 as well.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 25, 2018 11:40 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a beautiful super 8 print, Graham, you are a lucky man to have it! I agree, the super 8 is more acccurate, color-wise!

--------------------

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2018 08:10 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the Blu-ray but I was lucky enough to win the Super 8 print last year on eBay. The film's cinematography is excellent and I agree, the Super 8 print is outstanding.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 05:27 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was a Mickey Mouse shorts night first "Mickey Mouse the first 50 years" on Eastmancolor standard cardboard box. I was surprised at the good colour though the B&W extracts were rather sepia (this may have been intentional I haven't watched it for years) all colours in darker scenes were fully there. Then Mickeys Memorable Moments in a plain white box, no label (Buck labs on Fuji stock) good colour, slightly unsteady picture in both directions.

Finally "The Clock Cleaners" Derann import on LPP great colour and steadiness, but graded a little blue as was normal for the time of release. Sorry no pictures but I was too busy watching to bother.

A good evening that makes me think I'll try more of my Disney shorts/extracts soon.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 31, 2018 04:19 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surender, with Ivan Mosjukine. I respooled this silent feature on a 480 mt/1600 ft Supaspool and projected it with my Sankyo 700 modified to accept larger spools. Since I upgrated the projector with a 1.0 lens, it became one of my "good" machines. A good evening with that film I didn't know.

--------------------
Dominique

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2018 04:58 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, what a coincidence. I watched the first 50 years and clock cleaners earlier this week but not on the same night.
My clock cleaners is on faded eastman and was released in Japan.

Here's a description of a film that I watched last night and listed on Ebay.

quote:
Super 8 optical anime film released by Lilli 8mm Home Movies for the Japanese market. This is an digest of episode 53 "Farewell Red Impulse". In this episode, Ken(Gachaman) reunites with his father before his dad sacrifices his life for the earth.

It's on Eastman film from 1976 and as you can tell from the photos it's faded.

-

Here's a link to the film on ebay if anyone is interested in it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323043148649?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l 2649

[ January 31, 2018, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Jason Smith ]

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2018 02:49 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Monday night,a super standard 8 show! CAPTAIN CELLULOID VS THE FILM PIRATES, the classic amateur hommage to the Republic serials,in four episodes.At 18 fps,silent with Republic music accompaniment on cassettes! POSSE CAT,one of the earliest Walton Tom and Jerrys that has retained its colors beautifully.And COLD COMFORT,the "lost" Peter Sellers short comedy that has recently "resurfaced". In all,a big hit with my audience (of 7)!

[ February 01, 2018, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Panayotis A. Carayannis ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 01, 2018 11:22 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
faded yes, but sharp, ya betcha!

I wonder how it would look with a good cyan filter? Usually, as a general rule, cartoons fare better than live action films when you use a filter.

Thanks for sharing, Jason!

--------------------

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2018 03:29 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, if I wasn't taking pictures for selling it, I definitely would have used a filter. I agree with you. I think it would look great with a filter.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 01, 2018 05:10 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Virginian, the silent feature. It mounted it on a 480mt/1600ft Supaspool. Had to help the take up spool for the last meters as my Fujicascope Sh 30 could not do the job alone (I was lucky I had kept an eye on the operations). However, I was happy to see that the product I used several weeks ago on the contacts is still working. It seems that the little "losses of ligt" have completely disappear.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  207  208  209  210  211  212  213  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC