8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 208)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  205  206  207  208  209  210  211  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 30, 2017 05:24 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, i do miss that 3 x 400ft version, we did sell ours along with the Ice station Zebra & also the 400ft Coma due to the red colour shift. Westworld was one of the best cut downs from MGM, such a pity they put there films on trashy stock, when they were new the quality was very good, especially the sound. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2017 03:01 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This week, I spread my film show over two nights as it was a full feature I was watching.

7x 400' Yankee Doodle Dandy starring James Cagney. A great film, and a good quality print which, sadly, is a black and white film that has been printed onto colour stock.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2017 12:08 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have spent the past few years off the forums since it got overwhelming with people bickering and so many splintered forums it got too hard to keep up, but tonight I just remembered I really enjoyed hearing about everyone's film activities so tonight I watched a few shorts. The Headless Horseman (1934) UB Iwerks cartoon on a beautiful lowfade 16mm Blackhawk print. Ireno (1932) musical short with Ethel Merman on an NTA TV 16mm print, and a very professional looking 9.5mm amateur travel short called Rogue's Roost that has some footage from the 1937 Dartmoor Pony show...

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 03, 2017 12:16 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So nice to see your post Dino and that you are still enjoying such wonderful films.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2017 12:52 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back!!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2017 12:17 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice and Panayotis! [Smile]

Continuing tonight I watched La Petite Chocolatiere (1927, Pathe 4058, 4059, 4060, 15 x 60ft . my print picked up at Argentueil a few years back is on 2 x 800ft reels and has beautiful homemade running titles instead of notched ones - check out the main title in my pic) starring Dolly Davis and Andre Roanne..A sweet (pun intended) rom-com featuring Roanne (who often starred alongside Raquel Miller in 9.5mm films) as the romantic interest of the lovely and now sadly forgotten Dolly Davis..Basically Roanne's friend plays matchmaker and tricks him away from marrying his boss's daughter into marrying the daughter of the chocolate magnate (Davis). Davis was a nice little comedienne and this films' simple entertainment rests almost solely on that fact.

-

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 04, 2017 11:38 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's so great to hear from you again, Dino!! Thanks for the posts! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2017 12:13 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice screen caps Dino. I know very little about the 9.5mm format possibly because I have had no personal experience with it but looking at the screen capture the images look very detailed. I see some film grain in your pictures, very nice focus. Looks like a lovely format.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2017 06:36 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the Universal 8 400ft "The incredible shrinking man" last night. Incredibly, this was the first time I had watched it but the 400ft did a great job of condensing the story down to 20 minutes.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2017 11:30 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Osi, and yes Alan, 9.5mm prints almost always have exceptionally good quality as Pathe would use their original negatives, and brokered deals with other companies..I have hundreds of prints and maybe only 2 or 3 of them are dupey looking...Plus the actual image area is deceiving compared to 16mm and 8mm since the silent 9.5mm prints use the whole width of the film since the sprockets are center perf, so 16mm is more like 11mm and 8mm like 5mm, but 9.5mm is 9.5mm, so its much closer to 16 than 8.

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2017 12:11 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Regular 8 shorts tonight of varying quality...First was Sweedie Learns to Swim (1914) a Blackhawk print that has sadly seen better days as it now suffers from the bad processing brown spots. Next was a Universal Hoot Gibson short The Man With The Punch (1920, Nick Fiorintino 400ft print) followed by a French Arthur Lake print that I am not sure what the original title is. Grant Police Reporter episode 11 A Mission of State (1916, Perry's Movies 200ft print), and finally another Hoot Gibson short Fight It Out (1920, Parkchester 400ft print)

-

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 07, 2017 05:46 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see you back, indeed, Dino. Just watched La chienne, a classical early French talky (I never saw that at the singular form so I hope it's correct to call a sound film like that).

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 07, 2017 09:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's usually spelled "talkie"...

-Close enough!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 08, 2017 03:02 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for this answer and the one I got through a pm.

--------------------
Dominique

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2017 04:27 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night's viewings was 2x600 The Colditz Story,nice print from Derann, 400ft The Jolson Story,Kentucky fried Movie,200ft Saturday night Fever and One Man Band,also the first 600ft of the Genevieve feature,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2017 07:52 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see your screen shots Dino, you really have quite a collection! Mark, I have a trailer for Kentucky Fried Movie but is that a digest you have? I didn't know there was one if so.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2017 07:57 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Bill,it's the 400ft release,I think there is two different releases to the film on super 8,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2017 08:11 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow didn't know that. Is it Derann who put that out?

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2017 08:24 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Major 8 released it,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2017 04:01 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,what is the french title of thw Arthur Lake comedy? Is it a one reeler (from the "Horace in Hollywood" series?) or a two reeler?

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2017 05:14 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched, amongst other things, a Hammer trailer reel, comprising VAMPIRE CIRCUS (still looking for the feature), REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE MUMMY and THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. The last two were released by CHC, with an ABC day set in front; the first was a new purchase from Derann; REVENGE OF F was a second hand buy, with beautiful rich colour. The sound is about a second out of sync though, which actually increases its entertainment value! Any idea who released this trailer? It’s preceded by a black and white ‘and’ which makes me think it was originally part of a larger reel of trailers.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2017 04:27 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight's viewing in the "Man Cave" consisted of a 4x 400' black and white cut down of a film called "Magic Town" which is basically about an American town that has been chosen as the most mathematically and aesthetically pleasing town in the US to live.....so everyone flocks there, only to find it is not what it is cracked up to be.... so they all leave.
I have to say, this is the worst film I have ever seen James Stewart take part in.
Also the 1x 400' so called "colour" film of Dr.Cyclops,the prints of which, apparently, have all turned into a muddy brown sepia colour, just like this one has. Pity, because it is not a bad cut down and the picture is very steady on screen.

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2017 09:54 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
October has been Laurel & Hardy month for me.

Swiss Miss
The Bohemian Girl
Utopia
Sons of the Desert
Way Out West

With some of their shorts before the features, too.

Flying Deuces (digest)
The Music Box
Them Thar Hills /w/ Tit For Tat
Another Fine Mess
Men Of War

[Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 18, 2017 12:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino ...

Would you happen to have on 9.5MM the 1935 version of "Scrooge"?

If it's taken from original source materials, I bet that it would look absolutely great. This is a film that desperately needs a restoration effort, to be sure. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2017 04:30 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was "home alone" tonight ( honestly,wife,I was!) so out came the projector and screen again.

Tonight's offering to myself was....

1x 400' "Flicker Flashbacks #6" - this compilation of old silents with musical soundtrack featured "Mr.Fixit" with Charles Murray, and "The Height of Madness" with Harold Lloyd, which is the one where he is hanging off the side of a building. Brilliant stuff.

2x 400' "The Electric Horseman" starring Robert Redford and Jane Fonda. This is one I have had in my collection for a year or two and it was its first outing for me. Am pleased to say I was very impressed. A very good edit.Flowed very well.

2x 400' "Little Miss Marker" starring Walter Matthau and Julie Andrews. Its first outing for me,too, but was much less impressive.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  205  206  207  208  209  210  211  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC