8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 51)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2009 02:56 PM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight two classic 16mm animation shorts that go very well together:
Disney's Silly Symphony - Santa's Workshop (1932)
Fleischer Color Classic - Hold it! (1938)

-
 -
 -

-
 -
 -

They knew the art of animation in them days..

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

|  IP: Logged

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2009 03:36 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] !

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2009 03:47 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here another one from the Netherlands but not shocking Gian [Wink]

The night before Christmas(Tom and Jery)1x50ft sound

And the feature for tonight was Cinderella 3x600ft sound Derann!
A really Christmas movie.

Gian guess what is my Christmasmovie this year? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2009 06:36 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhm... Let me think...
Ok. I guess what is yours if you guess what will be mine [Big Grin] !
Oh, no...

I remembered I already wrote what will be mine in your thread about Christmas Day Shows (ET)!...

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 22, 2009 07:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Catching up with some movies of late one 16mm print of "Portrait of Lee Marvin" 1700ft B/W and colour made back in 1969 on the set of "Paint Your Wagon"

Another one this time on DVD "Ice Station Zebra" I once had the Super8 3/400ft version. The DVD is very good with a remastered 5:1 soundtrack, well here is a nice shot of the USS Ronquil which played the part of the USS Tigerfish in the movie.
 -

Graham. [Smile]

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 12:32 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian,uhm let me think.......ET???
And now you what is my favorite this Christmas??
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 01:21 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Peter,
wonderful pictures. Congratulations !

Osi,
how can I identify the stock ?

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 01:54 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just tell me, Jeroen. Will it be LADY AND THE TRAMP????

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 02:36 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday we watched a 16mm feature of Mr Destiny starring James Belushi,Tuesday's offering was a super 8 feature of Raise the Titanic in scope which went down well,in this case it came back up again!!! Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 07:18 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love John Barry's music in Raise The Titanic. It's a great film too and does not deserve the scorn that is usually thrown at it.

Paul.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 08:14 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot, Osi.
You are absolutely right about stocks. At least in my opinion.
I sent you a mail about Santa...
Let me know.
Take care. [Wink]

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 08:37 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian,you're right ha ha ha....L&T and you what is on your program? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 23, 2009 09:48 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are currently spending the Holiday season at our Provence cinema. Our last screenings were:

Monsters Inc, for all the kids in the neighborhood.

-

Il Demonio Italian neo realist film from 1963 that *supposedly* was the inspiration for The Exorcist (sorry, no pics).

The Land Unknown Bizarre letterbox print (1:2 ratio on flat print)
 -

Fright Night Gorgeous scope print.
 -

[ November 06, 2010, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 10:34 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeroen.
I have received today some WALT DISNEY HOME MOVIES I will check tonight or tomorrow. All titles I already have in my collection. But maybe the new arrivals should be in better condition (stock, color etc.).

Mes compliments, Jean-Marc. So nice pictures. And those MONSTER INC print is simply gorgeous. Once more, it would be great if a 8mm print existed! Ciao.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 23, 2009 01:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal ...

AGFA, in general, (I'm speaking of the modern AGFA prints), will have the marking "2S" on it. Nothing much more than that.
Although L.P.P. has also had nice saturation of color, I have never seen a "bluish" AGFA print. There are lush colors and a warm or almost brown to the color, (note: I'm not speaking of the Kodak SP browning, which is a sign of color fade). The colors tend to be much truer to what you would find on the original release.

A good example is the screenshot (thanX once again Gian!), when Jessica Rabbit is sitting on Eddie Valiants lap. Note the facial tones, not just on Valiant, but especially on the animated Jessica. Absolutely perfect and spot on.

One of the complaints that I have had with the L.P.P., (note that when I say this, I'm thankful to have any good color, Agfa or L.P.P.) is you can end up with spot on color, but is has tended to have the bluish quality.

This is nothing new with L.P.P. I've noticed this all the way down the line to my first Derann L.P.P. that I owned, (Who Dares Wins 600ft). There has always been a less than perfect color spectrum to it.

When Derann used the Agfa 2S stock, they're colors were never better. I know that some of it could be film labs and the chemicals therein, but for Agfa to not have that quality and be consistently brilliant is no accident.

My advice is, if you can, verify whether the print is an Agfa print of the feature. If not, L.P.P. will be fine, but the Agfa Derann's are to be truly cherished.

I hope dat helps, Micheal

tonights screening ...

A "classicals"

What's Opera Doc (warners version of "classical" ...

Kill da wabbit, Kill da Wabbit, KILL DA WABBIT!

and, for the feature?

Fantasia 2 (Yummy!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2009 05:26 PM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,
Hello Jean-Marc,where did you get that print of the land unknown? I have the belgian poster at home.I'd like to see it
maybe you could project it to me some time,could be my christmas
present [Big Grin]

--------------------
D Aveline

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2009 02:27 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Jean-Marc was that a 35mm or 16mm print of Land Unknown? it looks gorgeous as usual. I have a 35mm cinecolor nitrate of a similar feature Unknown Island. Gotta love those dinosaur movies...

Well tonight I was only able to sneak in a quick screening (because I spent most of the day fiddling with my Pathe Babies) of EP 7 of the THE IRON CLAW (1916) - The Hooded Helper with Pearl White. It was on reg 8mm. Sadly I will never know what happened as this is the only episode available [Confused]

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 24, 2009 05:19 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino: Wow, Unknown Island, that's a classic.

Daniel: the print belongs to my friend Gilles (we share the booth at Argenteuil). If he brings it back to Paris, I'll organize something.

Yesterday's screening: The Mighty Ursus (known as "Fury of Hercules" on these shores). Print is rather good considering it's an original 1961 release. Plenty of color left (more than it seems on the screenshots)

-

[ November 06, 2010, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 24, 2009 11:43 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi & Michael,

Not every film will have stock used written on the sprockets.

I received a bunch of films from Gian (thanks my Friend), some are excellent in color but I cannot see any mark about stock used.

I also believe that the bluish tint you see does belong to lab's responsibility. And I can say the lab Derann uses now tend to have bluish tint.

It is more about the person behind the chemicals mixing.

Remember during the old days with analog (35mm still) film. Between lab to lab had different result although they used the same Kodak paper and film.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 24, 2009 01:11 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't say I've ever come across this "bluish" tint on any 16mm LPP prints.
Are you specifically referring just to Derann prints, Osi?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 24, 2009 01:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really have to say that it is a matter of L.P.P. film stock in general.

This is because I have L.P.P. prints not just from Derann but many other sources. I have vintage Red Fox prints, (note: films that Derann did not re-release from Red Fox negatives), and they are L.P.P. and they have a bluish cast.

The same for a couple other releases. Unless I'm mistaken, "The Little Match Girl" (Columbia Pictures) was also released on L.P.P., and this print has a bluish cast ...

... final exhibit of proof is the Blackhawk films re-issue of the First Flip the Frog cartoon, "Fiddlesticks", which is on L.P.P. filmstock and yes, you guess it ... bluish cast to the color.

Many different sources, one film stock, continued history of Bluish color.

Also, Red Fox prints from the same early 80's period, on AGFA color stock, do not have the bluish cast.

So, though L.P.P. is certianly better than pinky eastman (by a LONG SHOT!), it is not on the near perfection part of AGFA.

Winberts point isn't without merit. Some of it could be those in the film lab, but when you see the same bluish cast to the product of MANY different Super 8 companies, the chance that they ALL came from the same UK labs, (especially back in the 1980's), it goes beyond the chance of just one film lab or chemical problems.

By the way, Peter, great screenshots from that rare color Max Fleischer film! Its a sadness that in large part, Fleischer "Color Classic" have a tendecy of always having faded color in nearly all prints, especially on Super 8. I finally ran into a good color print of "Cobweb Hotel", but it still has a faded look, though on L.P.P. stock.

I would love to find a nice color copy of "Fresh Vegetable Mystery" but from what I understand, they all have a faded color look, no matter what the stock.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2009 04:41 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting posts about LPP, Osi and Winbert.
Just received some WALT DISNEY HOME MOVIES. Some of them are holding color up very well, but cannot say what stock they are printed on. No marks at all. A real mistery.

Anyway... Waiting for tomorrow big show, tonight 'twas time for:

- A WALT DISNEY CHRISTMAS (unfortunately fading... How I'd like to find a copy on LPP!)
- BAMBI (reel #1). One of my favorite Disney's.
- MADAGASCAR PENGUINS IN A CHRISTMAS CAPER (G R E A T print and funny)
- THE LITTLE ONE.

No digital camera, tonight [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] . Chiara needed it. So I used my mobile to take some pictures, but result was simply terrible eh eh eh. Just two screen captures were decent. I post them as usual...

-  -

Equipment: Elmo GS 1200 #1; ELMO 1,1.

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2009 04:43 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I believe you are correct about LPP stock being bluish. The print of Secret Of NIMH I have is LPP and while the colors are decent, there is a clear push toward blue.

Though it should be pointed out that the colors of NIMH on Super 8 are WAYYYYYY off compared to the widescreen DVD which was personally supervised and approved by director Don Bluth. But that's another matter. [Smile]

Anyway, here's today's viewing schedule:

SUPER 8:

Playground Skirmish (Excerpt from Matrix Reloaded. Fun but I need to get a Scope lens in the new year. [Smile] )

Brer Rabbit And The Tar Baby

Mickey's Christmas Carol (Thanks David Erskine! Beautiful print!)

The following viewed on my 80" screen and with the Panasonic AX200 video projector.

BLU-RAY:

Scrooge (1951)

DVD:

Home Alone

Scrooge (1970)

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2009 04:50 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pics,the little one?which movie is that? [Eek!]

--------------------

Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2009 06:42 PM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas Eve, 16mm Tom & Jerry intro Invisible Mouse
 -

Next, Billy Wilder's The Apartment 16mm tv-print, one of my all time favorites. One day I hope to find a scope-print, either 8mm or 16mm.
 -
 -
 -

Shut up and deal, and a Merry Christmas to you all!

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC