No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice show last night had a bit of a Star Wars night and some Popeye cartoons which always tickle me.

A couple of chums around today to see a Christmas programme which will include Gramby in Christmas comes but once a year, Night Before Christmas T&J, Mister & Mistletoe, Little Match Girl and a video I did at the Derann Christmas open day with Derek.

This all means we have projected Super 8 6 days in a row so far and tomorrow's never even bee touched yet Yay!

Comment

We watched "A Christmas Carol" 1951, full feature!

After that ...

The Snowman
      How the animals discovered Chistmas
      The Little match Girl
      The Prince and the pauper (OK, so it's really not Christmas, but what the heck!)

Comment

Sunday night December 22

winnie the pooh the many adventures of
        with Disney's the Jungle Book

Watch this area in the next 10 days for my annual a list of everything that I run in the last year it's coming soon....

Comment

Christmas shows are still in full flow watching some lovely S8 gems from our collection all full of memories.. The new rack system is working very well and I find feeding the GS1200 and the Eumig into the digital optical input of the AV amp a great improvement in sound.

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, Santa's Workshop, Mister & Mistletoe, Christmas around the world then the feature of PETER PAN.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191223_192937.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	1440
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20191223_192606.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	1441
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20191223_192252.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	1442
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20191223_190823.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.6 KB ID:	1443
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20191223_193800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.0 KB ID:	1444

Ended the evening with the new Blu-Ray of Return of the Cybernauts having had to retire my Super 8 Derann film due to total redness. Had that film for so many years it has served me well.
          The new resto of this gem is awesome and hats off to those who put the love into doing the work making it look as good as 70mm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191223_144859.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	1445

Comment

Santa's Workshop and the title song from Jesus Christ Superstar, sadly the second is almost completely pink now.

Comment

My Christmas Eve super 8 film show consisted of....

The Night Before Christmas - Both the Tom & Jerry and Silly Symphonies versions
              Snowdrift at Bleath Gill - Has a seasonal feeling to the film.
              A Walt Disney Christmas - Which included Toy Tinkers / Santa's Workshop / Pluto's Christmas Tree

…….. and totally none seasonal, but a film I try to watch annually within this three day window...…. A Hard Day's Night .

Must go now. It is nearly midnight and I have been told there is a geezer on a sleigh who has just flown over the top of my house. I think they must have had a drop too much! Don't You?
              MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Comment

Last night - Christmas Eve - i watched - Woody Woodpecker in Ski For Two, Bugs Bunny in Bugs Bunny Rides Again, Thank you very much - extract from Scrooge, Gremlins - the Derann 2x600ft release and the feature print of the Frank Oz musical - Little Shop of Horrors.

Comment

Christmas Under fire : a wartime documentary (and a testimony) about the hard time Britain had during this awfull period. Some scenes, as expected, are sad so it's better to start a Christmas with this short (to realize how Lucky we are here and now) and then go on with some more encouraging subjects/ Two Disney (60m/200ft) cartoons : 3 Caballeros and Dumbo The Flying Elephant. Another cartoon, but German : Der Schneemann (The Snowman) : very nice seasonal film, it's dated 1944 and has no dialogue (only a short song, in German of course, at the end). Little Match Girl, a cartoon based on the famous Andersen's tale. The Fabulous Dorseys, a 120 m/400 ft digest of the film. Mickey's Christmas Carol : Disney's version of Dicken's Scrooge. Very good quality and the sound on my copy is in French :-)

Comment

Eve Christmas day show.

No Limit 1935 Cinderella 1950 We also watched some Lantern Slides from the archive during the Intermission.

The Derann feature of No Limit Derek told me was from a 35mm print so the quality of this relatively early Derann S8 B&W Formby feature is really nice to have. Have come across a few now going VS but worth looking for a nice copy.

I raised a glass to you Dom!

Click image for larger version  Name:	8mmLM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	1494 PS That's my first GS1200 and thankfully the only trouble I have had with it is a rewind gear go and fitting a new drive belt.
                    It has a 2 blade shutter fitted by genius Bill Parsons very much the man with that job.

Carry on projecting Girls and Boys!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hippodrome Pictures.jpg
Views:	1130
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1496

NEXT UP

Click image for larger version  Name:	star wars LS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.6 KB ID:	1495

Comment

That Star Wars cinema picture looks a bit like the Dominion, Tottenham Court Road, where I saw it (in 70mm) for a second time after thinking the 35mm print shown locally wasn't very good.

Comment

Very good Lee ...for us only one Super 8 film on request yesterday I bought this film new when it came out in the 1970s, and although it has a bit of color fade its still pretty goodClick image for larger version

Name:	P1100819.JPG
Views:	1147
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1577

Comment

Friday December 27

A Night to remember
                          Kenneth Moore

The first of three Titanic films in my collection as I await the arrival of James Cameron's masterpiece (the 3rd film of the three mentioned). Number 2 very soon is Raise the Titanic.

with film short
                          NEVER WEAKEN
                          Harold Lloyd
                          Last edited by Chip Gelmini; December 27, 2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

For me King Solomon's Mines 400ft MGM M12 Maritz Labs on Kodak SP going pink in the shadows but all colours still there.

Comment

"The Towering Inferno".....3/400ft First reel is good but second and third has a certain degree of fade, also not the greatest definition on the last two reels. Overall its going to be a print I will not likely run again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100888.JPG
Views:	1208
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1654
                              Attached Files

Comment

Does it contain the typical intrusive (borderline insulting - “Susan opens the door and peers into the room”) narration that Columbia and Ken inserted? I was told years ago that the narration was a copyright protection move to ensure home use only.

Comment

Working...
                                X