What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post
    Moderator's note: This is a continuation of the Grand Old Forum's What Films Did You Show Last Night?. That topic had the distinction of having the most replies (5754) of any thread. Fittingly, both the first and last posts were by Lee Mannering.

Last night I watched a Columbia Classic Digest Print of "Holiday" with Cary Grant and Katheryn Hepburn. I bought this a couple of weeks ago, but just getting around to seriously watching it. I had never seen the full-length movie so wasn't familiar with the story at all. The digest version editing is pretty choppy...by that I mean clips here and there that I found hard to connect. I liked the individual scenes...I always love Cary Grant and Katheryn Hepburn...but I think I would have gotten more out of the digest if I had seen the complete movie first. I guess this might be true of most digests.

Click image for larger version Name:	Holiday-(1938)-8mm-Digest.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	577
    Does it have the typical narration that Columbia and Ken often inserted to ensure their digests were used in homes only

Comment

Brad....regarding the 3/400 footer of "The Towering Inferno" there is no narration in the film at all.

Comment

Here is a complete list of my screenings for the entire year! WOW: I have shattered records of all previous years!

88 total screenings

69 were super 8

1 was 16mm

18 were DVD

I am so proud to be able to write this. An amazing year in my newest and best theater I've ever built!

The format is " DATE / TITLE / FORMAT / DAY OF THE WEEK

begin movie list:
        CGC SCREENINGS 2019 PAGE 2
        DATE: TITLE: MEDIA: DAY:
        JAN 18 SNOW WHITE & THE 7 DWARFS SUPER 8 FRI
        JAN 20 VISITORS DVD SUN
        JAN 23 SEVENTH HEAVEN SUPER 8 WED
        JAN 27 ROGUE ONE STAR WARS DVD SUN
        FEB 1 I MARRIED A WOMAN SUPER 8 FRI
        FEB 2 KOYANNISQUATSI DVD SAT
        FEB 4 AFRICAN QUEEN SUPER 8 MON
        FEB 7 OUR RELATIONS LAUREL & HARDY SUPER 8 THUR
        FEB 15 THE SWIMMING POOL DVD FRI
        FEB 16 SHORTS FILM PROGRAM 1 SUPER 8 SAT
        FEB 23 FANTASIA 1940 SUPER 8 SAT
        FEB 27 THE BLUE LAGOON DVD WED
        NARCH 3 THE SOUND OF MUSIC SUPER 8 SUN
        MARCH 8 POWAQQATSI DVD FRI
        MARCH 10 WEST SIDE STORY SUPER 8 SUN
        MARCH 20 CAROUSEL SUPER 8 WED
        MARCH 29 GIGI SUPER 8 FRI
        APRIL 6 TALES OF BEATRICE POTTER SUPER 8 SAT
        APRIL 12 SHORTS FILM PROGRAM 2 SUPER 8 FRI
        APRIL 16 LORD OF THE RINGS III DVD TUE
        APRIL 17 THE BLACK STALLION SUPER 8 WED
        APRIL 23 ESCAPE PLAN DVD TUE
        APRIL 27 A&C MEET CAPTAIN KIDD SUPER 8 SAT
        APRIL 27 EASTER PARADE SUPER 8 SAT
        MAY 7 THEY MADE ME A CRIMINAL SUPER 8 TUE
        MAY 11 NAQOYQATSI DVD SAT
        MAY 15 HEDDA SUPER 8 WED
        MAY 19 A&c AFRICA SCREAMS SUPER 8 SUN
        MAY 19 AIRPLANE SUPER 8 SUN
        MAY 24 ANASTASIA DVD FRI
        MAY 26 ON THE WATER FRONT SUPER 8 SUN
        MAY 26 GOD'S LITTLE ACRE SUPER 8 SUN
        MAY 27 SHORT FILMS PROGRAM 3 SUPER 8 MON
        JUNE 5 HELLO DOLLY SUPER 8 WED
        JUNE 13 STAGECOACH SUPER 8 THUR
        JUNE 29 NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUISNESS SUPER 8 SAT
        JULY 4 BIRTH OF A NATION SUPER 8 THUR
        JULY 11 LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRARIE DVD THUR
        JULY 13 FROZEN (DISNEY) DVD SAT
        JULY 14 GULLIVER'S TRAVELS SUPER 8 SUN
        JULY 19 DR. STRANGELOVE SUPER 8 FRI
        JULY 24 HUNCHBACK OF NOTREDAME (DISNEY) SUPER 8 WED
        JULY 29 THE OUTLAW SUPER 8 MON
        AUGUST 4 THE BOHEMIAN GIRL (LAUREL & HARDY) SUPER 8 SUN
        AUGUST 10 RUN, LOLA, RUN DVD SAT
        AUGUST 12 THE WAY WE WERE SUPER 8 MON
        AUGUST 15 PIRATE TREASURE REELS 6 THRU 12 SUPER 8 THUR
        AUGUST 18 SHORT FILM PROGRAM 4 SUPER 8 SUN
        AUGUST 22 SUPER 8 DVD THUR
        AUGUST 23 BLOCKHEADS (LAUREL & HARDY) 16mm FRI
        AUGUST 25 HEAVY METAL DVD SUN
        AUGUST 28 PIRATE TREASURE 1-6 NOW ON BIG REELS SUPER 8 WED
        SEPT 5 FANTASIC VOYAGE SUPER 8 THUR
        SEPT 8 ALL THAT JAZZ DVD SUN
        SEPT 14 CAPRICORN ONE SUPER 8 SAT
        SEPT 19 ROCKY SUPER 8 THUR
        SEPT 27 UTOPIA ( LAUREL & HARDY) SUPER 8 FRI
        SEPT 27 BLOCKHEADS (LAUREL & HARDY) SUPER 8 FRI
        OCT 20 LOGAN'S RUN SUPER 8 SUN
        OCT 21 THE GOLD RUSH SUPER 8 MON
        OCT 22 BODY & SOUL SUPER 8 TUE
        OCT 24 SHORT FILMS PROGRAM 4 SUPER 8 THUR
        OCT 27 ALMA NERA SUPER 8 SUN
        NOV 1 STATION WEST SUPER 8 FRI
        NOV 3 THE CONQUERER DVD SUN
        NOV 4 WAR OF THE WORLDS SUPER 8 MON
        NOV 4 ROYAL WEDDING SUPER 8 MON
        NOV 7 THE LONE RANGER SUPER 8 THUR
        NOV 8 G.I. BLUES SUPER 8 FRI
        NOV 10 GORKY PARK SUPER 8 SUN
        NOV 13 OF THINGS TO COME (H.G. WELLS) SUPER 8 WED
        NOV 15 THE GOOSE WOMAN SUPER 8 FRI
        NOV 17 PRISON TRAIN SUPER 8 SUN
        NOV 19 RICHARD PRYOR LIVE IN CONCERT SUPER 8 TUE
        NOV 25 AKIENS SUPER 8 MON
        NOV 27 CATHERINE, THE GREAT SUPER 8 WED
        NOV 28 FANTASIA 2000 (DISNEY) SUPER 8 THUR
        DEC 4 FLYING DEUCES (LAUREL & HARDY) SUPER 8 WED
        DEC 10 INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS SUPER 8 TUE
        DEC 10 THREE NUTS IN SEARCH OF A BOLT SUPER 8 TUE
        DEC 14 CRIMSON WING (DISNEY) DVD SAT
        DEC 16 NO LIMIT (GEORGE FORMBY) SUPER 8 MON
        DEC 18 IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE SUPER 8 WED
        DEC 22 DISNEY JUNGLE BOOK SUPER 8 SUN
        DEC 27 A NIGHT TO REMEMBER SUPER 8 FRI
        DEC 31 SECRET OF NIHM SUPER 8 TUE
        TOTALS: SUPER 8: 69
        16MM: 1
        DVD: 18
        EVERYTHING: 88

end movie list :-)

Comment

The last screening this year: the Super-8-full feature of Mel Brook’s YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN...! An outstanding print of an outstanding comedy from the golden years of Hollywood. In my opinion Mel Brook‘s best feature!
          Happy New Year everyone!

Comment

Impressive Chip!

Spent the odd quiet day at work scanning my own home movies throughout 2019 so we had a nostalgic trip thru our family lives watching everything from filming at Pinewood Studios on set to our regular trips back to the Derann Films building as it was being redeveloped. Also the switching off of several 35mm Cinema projectors to be replaced by Digital ones.
            Amazing the way Kodachrome has held up the quality over the decades and looks great projected on the DLP. Nice to see mum cooking Christmas dinner and my gran giggling away once more on STD 8 as well. Ended the afternoon show with Dads 9.5 film of me in my Silver Cross pram complete with blue bonnet.

Comment

Reels 1 and 2 of When the North Wind Blows: Sunn Classic's story of a Trapper's life among Siberian tigers. It's a close cousin to Osi's favorite Life and Times of Grizzly Adams. Both films follow Sunn's common theme of people finding themselves by leaving civilization for a life in the wilderness. North Wind first put Dan Haggerty on screen, Grizzly Adams made him a star.

I always play this one during the holiday week. I'm still doing it, just a little late this year!

I really like this film. Once I became that way, I started to look for information about it and was lucky enough to get in contact with Jack Ong, one of the actors. Jack was mighty pleased about it: this was his first on-screen role and being kind of an obscure film, he was happy to have a "fan" to discuss it with! Until Jack became ill and died a couple of years later, I usually e-mailed him to let him know he would be on screen here. He said if he ever came East he'd love to attend a show, doubly so since he didn't have his own print.

Jack often kidded me about my "ancient" projection set-up, but the fact of the matter is at least at that point 8 and 16 were basically the only way to see this movie here in North America!

My print is well matured! It was at least warm when I got it 15 years ago and it sure hasn't improved color-wise since then. I resorted to a cyan filter tonight. -not a miracle, but certainly an improvement.

When I do these multi-night shows, I often start every night with a cartoon. Tonight's was Gone Nutty. This was one of my very first new Derann prints, back in 2002. Color and sound are still beautiful and after over 17 years there is still not a mark on it!

-Reels 3 and 4 tomorrow
              -Reels 5 and 6 Friday
              Last edited by Steve Klare; January 01, 2020, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Last Night: Reels 3 and 4 as expected.

I didn't begin with a cartoon, but "The Beatles Come to Town". My wife was working at the PC in the same room at the beginning. She said "Can you turn it down?" I said "It's an early Beatles concert: it's not supposed to be quiet!".

Seriously: I count about 5 people in this film covering their ears!

I was watching these two reels and noticed that with the cyan filter the skies are actually blue. Of course, this shouldn't be too much of a surprise, but it makes so much difference in the way he film looks on screen. From the time I bought this film, they've never been anything but gray!

Comment

Tonight: Reels 5 and 6 and the Conclusion

I really enjoy watching a feature this way: I get a couple of days enjoyment out of one film, maybe get to savor it a little! What's interesting about it is it makes a strength out of what many people might consider a weakness of features on 8 and 16mm film: it uses the reel changes as natural breaks. Of course you can do this with a DVD or blu-ray too, it's just when it's broken up like this, it's obvious when to stop and easy to start up again.

Two reels and a short are kind of a natural consequence of me running two machines side by side. I might run a short and a reel, but just one reel feels like I'm not even making an effort!

The short was the Derann cartoon Early Bloomer, a fairly late Derann release. This one just may have some history behind it. When Derann announced Early Bloomer, they said they'd showed it it at one of the British film conventions. Almost immediately this print appeared on the used list and I bought it. It's very likely either a test print or the one screened at the convention.

It's a great little CGI short. I love showing these to unsuspecting audiences: such a modern film is a surprise to people who think they stopped printing Super-8 in the 1970s!

Comment

Fortunately for me, the New Year Saturday night TV schedule in the UK has (IMHO) reached an all time low, so it is going to be a l o n g e r session in the Man Cave . Yippee !

Tonight, I decided to screen a host of 400' condensed films.

They were, in no particular order..

The Making of The Towering Inferno
                    Tora ! Tora ! Tora !
                    Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
                    The St.Valentines Day Massacre
                    The Eiger Sanction
                    The Creature From The Black Lagoon
                    The Day of The Jackal
                    Taxi Driver

Quite a variety don't you think?

Comment

ROCKY, the Derann full feature and an all-time classic.
                      Great acting, great music and a flawless print.
                      Happy new screening year to everyone!

Comment

I only watched the Mickey Mouse B&W cartoon "The Mad Doctor", Derann release, I think on genuine B&W Agfa stock.

Comment

Reflections (UK), The Dwarf's Dilemma(Disney Home Movies silent with Spanish subtitles but great colour, possibly on Agfa) and Double or Mutton (Wolf and Sheepdog cartoon, Techno on SP and turning a little pink)

Comment

I watched the feature GENEVIEVE - a beautiful, mint print released by Derann that I bought on my visit to CHC on Saturday. I've not seen the complete film before - only the 600ft cut-down and a black and white edited feature on standard 8mm from Walton - so it was nice to see the whole thing.

Comment

Carrie (Derann 2X 400ft edited into correct order SP going brown on shadows but all colours still there though one half is lighter than the other) and reel 2 of Swallows and Amazons (Odd reel of the feature bought at a BFCC for abut £2, Buck Labs on unmarked stock but looks like Carrie does so suspect SP).

Comment

One reel of Terminator and Betty Boop's Rise to Fame on Super 8. Termy is always good of course and Betty looked great as ever on this Collectors Club release re recorded from my Laser Disc back somewhat.

Comment

Working...
                                X