No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love the scene where the bad guys are trying to figure out what's going to happen, so they put the Spaceballs VHS on screen!

I've heard of movies within movies, but this could be the first time the movie within the movie was the SAME movie!

Comment

• Yesterday I got two E-bay reels: something a little special.

-back into the 1960s, the Denver and Rio Grande railroad found themselves with something they wanted to get rid of: several hundred miles of narrow gauge routes. D&RG had been all narrow gauge to start, and over about 80 years gradually changed most of their routes to Standard Gauge so they could play trains with everybody else. Still, they had this one remaining route that was three foot gauge and steam powered just around the time NASA was getting ready to set foot on the moon and they wanted out.

They weren't busy enough and they were way too mountainous to change to Standard plus 3 foot gauge Diesels just don't come rolling off assembly lines every day. Normally there is kind of a process for lines with these issues: the traffic gradually withers away, they apply to the Interstate Commerce Commission for abandonment, it is granted, they pull up the rails and the problem is solved.

-but these lines posed a challenge because of the Movies! These were steam powered with vintage equipment and wonderful Western country, and they got a lot of big screen time those years. This attention brought tourists and the tourists bought tickets!

-these lines wouldn't wither!

As much as they tried to abandon, the trains were getting fuller and fuller. They were stuck to revive derelict passenger cars from sidings and fix them up even though they were losing money. The freight was still headed onto trucks and the care of these 90 year old lines and 50 year old steam engines was nobody's ideal business model.

The solution was to find some Historic groups more interested in the trains than making money.

One of these was the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. They bought 64 miles of 3 foot gauge track in 1970 and declared themselves passenger only. They severed their connection to the standard gauge network so they wouldn't fall under Federal regulation anymore, and have been chugging along 1920s style ever since.

In 1972, some unknown railfan showed up at C&TS and chronicled their early operations on the most modern consumer motion picture system there was: Super-8. These 40-ish years later, his work wound up on E-bay and now I have them.

I watched one last night, and will do the other tonight.

This is ambitions work: two pretty full 600 footers of nice Kodachrome. I've made quite a few railroad films myself and rarely got to even 400 feet. The color is excellent, the cinematography is on the respectable side of amateur. The condition is really good, and I'll give him credit for making nice smooth splices.

What's really nice about this is watching it knowing every inch of it is unique footage.

Comment

• Nice thing about that print, Janice, is that, in this case, having a slight "edit" of the feature, means that little of the cussing and objectionable material is not seen or heard and so the kiddies can watch it without mommy and daddy having to cup they're hands over the ears!

I'm not sure as to whether this was printed on Kodak SP or some other low fade stock as I can't tell by looking at the actual stock, and it might just be some really good Kodak SP that just hasn't faded.

Comment

• Don't worry Osi,

When the kids get to be young adults the objectionable material is kind of fun for Mom and Dad!

My son is 17 years old now. When something racy happens on screen and my wife and I give each other kind of a sly smile, our kid turns all sorts of shades of red!

"STOPPPPPP!!!!!"

(Hehehehehehhhhhh!!!)

Comment

• Last night I watched the documentary Film Firsts.

Comment

• I have had a double whammy of film nights this past Friday and Saturday nights.

I found myself home alone last night, so up to the cave I went and on came the projector.

So..... Friday night was a little strange but this is how it went...

The Lion - 1x 200' cartoon. I watched THREE different copies of this. Two in colour, one in black and white. I had recently obtained a second colour copy of it, so was comparing the quality of the two as to which one to keep, then checking the quality of the black and white print.

The Platypus - 1x 200' cartoon. Compared just TWO color copies of this one for the same reason as above.

The Outlaw - 6x 400' - The Jane Russell classic that also stars Walter Houston.

Then tonight (Saturday)

The Love Match - 2x 600' - An incomplete feature starring Arthur Askey. I doubt it was originally released on 600' spools so I suspect I have the first three 400' spools worth of film on it. Not sure how many spools this one was when released if someone could advise, please?

The Amorous Milkman - 5x 400' - Diana Dors. At least two of our reputable collector colleagues tried to warn me off this one. Would I listen?

Comment

• Saturday night March 7, 2020

Purple rose of Cairo Super 8 optical full length

And I loved this movie One of Woody Allen's best films

Comment

• Got to watch a Blackhawk print of The Valentino Mystique.

Comment

• Not one I have seen that Zack

We had a nice evening trawling through the Collectors Club collection enjoying Sub Pollard amongst others Its a Gift
                    His car would beat any car for fuel economy and emissions
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Carss.jpg Views:	0 Size:	13.1 KB ID:	5822

Finished the show watching THE CARD feature which gets a BR release very shortly and the 200ft of Star Wars with one of my Stereo dubs on it. Nice night

Comment

• I certainly admire his changing the Garbage can to a Garage by covering the letter B in It's a Gift.

Comment

• I watched,'Casey at the Bat'....then I watched it again and again!;-)

Comment

• Thursday night March 12

Top Hat
                          Fred Astaire / Ginger Rogers
                          full length on s8

This is getting real good here. Last week I ran Purple Rose of Cairo and this movie appears right before the closing credits.

I realized I had Top Hat so I figure why not keep it going 😀

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1639.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	5919Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1640.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	5920 Nice evening.
                            Parade of the wooden solders Betty Boop
                            The next picture show (A look at the old British film studios and cinemas)

And Doomed Caravan. A 9.5mm print that made it onto Super 8 Pathescope.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pathee.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	5921

Comment

• After a couple of 16mm features I dug out Way Out West 3x400 on super 8, I haven't seen it in quite some time so thought as I'm in a filmie mood I'd run it again and really enjoyed it as always from the boys, Mark.

Comment

• Originally posted by Melvin England View Post

The Amorous Milkman - 5x 400' - Diana Dors. At least two of our reputable collector colleagues tried to warn me off this one. Would I listen?

I believe I could have been one of your 'collector colleagues' Melvin, but I'm not sure I could be described as reputable. What did you think of the film then? Annoyingly, mine is in perfect condition with perfect colour.

Comment

Working...
                                X