Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday night... 6pm session of "Poltergeist" just me
    Saturday night along with my granddaughter...6pm session of Poltergeist
    Sunday night.... 6pm "Murder On the Orient Express" the new one, watched it on my own and enjoyed it, thought it was very good
    Monday night.... 6pm grandson and me watched Poltergeist, he has seen many movies over the years but never this one, he gave it a 7 out of 10
    Tuesday night.... 6pm grandsons choice, at 12 years of age I was thinking more alone the line of the Disney 1950 dvd of "Treasure Island". I was surprised he picked out "The Book Thief" he gave that one a 7 and a half out of 10.

Never under estimate the young ones in what they might like. I remember taking Steven when he was about 10 years old to the cinema to watch "Lawrence Of Arabia" can't believe that he had the patience to watch it right through. but he did, and to this day still remembers it..

Comment

• Checking its release date I must have seen Lawrence of Arabia at the cinema when I was 10 or 11 too. It was the first Super 8 digest I bought 14 years later!

Comment

• Hi Brian

The one I took Steven to was the 1980s re-release. I think it was the exact same film print, that we also ran at the cinema during a month of David Lean films, all on 35mm late 2011.

It took me a while to check out the print, and get it put together as Part 1 and Part 2 on two separate platter decks. It did give us the chance to give the projector a good clean during the intermission .
        Click image for larger version

Name:	pict52.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	63629

Name:	Lawrence of Arabia.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	63630

Last edited by Graham Ritchie; July 19, 2022, 04:14 AM.

Comment

• Day the Earth Caught Fire. Very apt viewing with the cooler sprays going in the cinema at full blast. Newly remastered and in high definition. Good old Edward Judd in one of his better roles. Super image and clear sound. Available from BFI shop £8.99 and Amazon. Had this in 8mm years ago as a feature. Print was to say the least variable at best. Bootleg job lol Click image for larger version

Name:	2D0A871D-4E84-4626-A938-68DA85932D54.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	63625 Click image for larger version

Name:	2D0A871D-4E84-4626-A938-68DA85932D54.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	63626

Comment

• I have that one as well Mike, one thing I don't like is the way the dialogue is delivered in the film, I cant remember the name they use for it, but they do mention it in the special features, also having out of control teenagers in the later part just seems a bit corny these days.

Comment

• Hi Graham

i know what you mean about the dialogue. It’s all deadly serious. Using real journalists at the Daily Express instead of actors wasn’t really a great idea. Bernard “Bernie “ Braden even makes an appearance. They fitted in with leaden Edward Judd mind you. Apparently,he thought he was God’s gift to the acting profession was going to be a mega star 🌟 in Hollywood. I can only think of two other movies he featured in First Men in the Moon Ray Harryhausen and Island of Terror a real b horror with Peter Cushing.

Rampant teenagers product of its time it likely seemed quite shocking in 1961 that anyone would indulge in such activities. Movie was actually given a X certificate on its 1st release. At least, director Val Guest didn’t include any piles of electrocuted tripe like Quatermass Xperiment.

Mike

Comment

• "It goes off like a bomb in your lap"

(Owwwww!!!!!)

Comment

• Well folks last night and once again, it was this one on blu-ray. We first saw the film at the cinema when it came out, I always had liked it. Hard to imagine its now been just over 40 years ago, where does time go? I never get bored watching it its just one of those movies I can watch often. The blu-ray picture quality is very good, plus its a big one, Jerry Goldsmith music sounds great with the DTS5:1 mix, projected using the Epson VP .

Brilliant trailer by the way

Comment

• A week or so ago I watched the excellent Super8 print of "Winnie the Poo and the Blustery Day" based on A A. Milne's Original tale, which in turn made me think of watching once again the blu-ray of "Goodbye Christopher Robin". In many ways its a tragic story of A.A Milne and the effect of its fame on his young son.

Its a movie that I would very highly recommend, the acting, the script, is really outstanding. The last time we watched it, Yvonne my better half was into the tissues near the end.

Some screen shots from last night.

Name:	P1280535.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	63890

Name:	P1280537.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	63891

Name:	P1280540.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	63892

Name:	P1280552.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	63893 '

Name:	P1280553.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	63894

Name:	P1280555.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	63895

Name:	P1280580.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	63896

Name:	P1280585.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	63897

Name:	P1280592.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	63898

Name:	P1280593.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	63899

Comment

• Watched "The Negotiator" on the Epson VP two nights ago. I must say I do like movies that know one is, who they seem to be. Lots of twists and turns in the story, and that's what I like the most. I really enjoyed watching "The Negotiator" and if you like movies that keeps you guessing how things are going to turn out, its good one to watch.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280909.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.6 KB ID:	64130
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280910.JPG Views:	0 Size:	302.6 KB ID:	64131

Comment

• Tonight: Amadeus

My son said he'd never seen it and I decided to fix that.

The sun stays up too late this time of year for a good cinema show: It's our tradition to do a couple of film shorts before any feature, either digital or film, but with the sun going down after 8 O'clock we sometimes run until after midnight with a full program. Tonight I had to cut it back to to just one Super-8 short: Derann's Pathe Pic Vienna to go with the setting of the feature. This was one of the first two Derann shorts I ever owned: twenty years now and doing just fine.

Comment

• I watch this re-make every so often tonight was one of them.

Name:	P1170674.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	64243

Comment

• Graham, how does this remake compare to the 60's original? I did enjoy Quaid in "Enemy Mine", but have never watched this one.

Comment

• Hi Ed

Both versions are very good in there own way. The 1965 one I think is still the best of the two, one thing I feel that does stand out more in the original, is the role played by actor Hardy Kruger. The new one is certainly worth a watch, we ran the 35mm print of it at the cinema, I enjoyed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                                Hi Ed

Both versions are very good in there own way. The 1965 one I think is still the best of the two, one thing I feel that does stand out more in the original, is the role played by actor Hardy Kruger. The new one is certainly worth a watch, we ran the 35mm print of it at the cinema, I enjoyed it.
                                Yes, Hardy Kruger was a key character in the 1965 version. The survivors were entirely dependent on his expertise on airplanes. The reveal that he designed model airplanes is a memorable scene.

The Flight movies are what I call "sequestration movies". The plot centers on a small group of people trying to survive. Coincidentally Dennis Quaid starred in another sequestration movie, Enemy Mine. The theme of survival on another planet was also used in Robinson Crusoe on Mars and the more recent film, The Martian. If you enjoy these types of movies, another classic with Humphrey Bogart is Sahara. Here is a review of Sahara:

This is a great "sequestration movie" that is available on Bluray: https://www.amazon.com/Sahara-Combo-.../dp/B07FRLCV3D

Comment

Working...
                                X