No announcement yet.

What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the 2010 version of True Grit came out, there were a lot of comparisons made with this 1969 version. I like them both, but tend to lean more towards the Coen brothers version. A friend once observed that John Wayne always played John Wayne, regardless of the movie he was in. That is probably the case for most "movie stars". I found an interesting article, TRUE GRIT: A Comparison which goes into great detail comparing the two versions. My conclusion? Both versions are great!

Comment

• One interesting aspect of the new "True Grit" is I have never seen the end of it. I did go to watch it at Reading cinemas when it was first released, however the earthquake "the big one" back in 2011 caused the speaker to come through the screen, ceiling tiles came down plus the sprinkler system broke above our heads with water going everywhere, what a mess.

So, I never got to see the end of it. later we did get the 35mm print, being only one of two cinemas still operating in the city. The very first screening though at 8pm that Saturday night we again got hit with a very strong after shock. The projectors as with the building was bouncing around, so I never got to see the end of the film. I really began to think "True Grit" was jinx, so any future screening we did I never bothered to watch it. I do have the blu-ray but don't want to attempt fate, as yet.

Picked up the 4K plus blu-ray of this one the other day second hand, although I have it already on blu-ray, I do have the feeling, that the blu-ray versions that come with the 4K discs, appear to be of better picture quality on the Epson VP. I could be totally wrong, but that's is the impression I seem to get, also got the same feeling was with the blu-ray that came with the 4K of Jaws. .

PS I still have the True Grit 35mm trailer
      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1320316.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.3 KB ID:	73002

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
        ...So, I never got to see the end of it. later we did get the 35mm print, being only one of two cinemas still operating in the city. The very first screening though at 8pm that Saturday night we again got hit with a very strong after shock. The projectors as with the building was bouncing around, so I never got to see the end of the film. I really began to think "True Grit" was jinx, so any future screening we did I never bothered to watch it. I do have the blu-ray but don't want to attempt fate, as yet.
        That's interesting. It is the sort of thing that usually only happens when Lawrence Woolsey's films are being shown.

I do have the feeling, that the blu-ray versions that come with the 4K discs, appear to be of better picture quality on the Epson VP
        I believe most older Blurays are sourced from 2k scans. When they do the 4k scan for UHD, they use the 4k source to create the new Bluray for the multi-disc release. It's the same as in film. If you do a 35mm print from a 70mm source, it will always look better.

I have Last Action Hero in UHD as well. As I recall, I had to go into the HDR settings to lower the brightness. It is a stunning UHD to watch. Kind of like having 70mm in your little home cinema!

Comment

• Ed,

Nice Matinee reference. For those who haven't seen it, John Goodman plays a William Castle type of movie showman. I love this film!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9349Matinee.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	73011

Comment

• Doug, It is a favorite of mine as well. The score by Jerry Goldsmith reminds me of those summer days as a kid going to see the matinee at our local theater.

The trailer for Mant! within the movie is a classic!

Comment

• Here is one that I think is good blu-ray and directed by Roman Polanski called "Oliver Twist", excellent production and cast with "Ben Kingsley" being really outstanding.

PS, as the summer school holidays are finishing we have our grandson here at the moment, last night I said, would you like to watch a movie? what's it about? a man building a bridge in Africa? was my reply, its got some nice animals in it, Ok, well it wasn't what he thought probably some kind of boring documentary. Well not quite it was "The Ghost and the Darkness" now that gave him a jolt, especially the excellent Dolby Digital 5:1 blasting out of the speakers . good movie I should add.

Anyway back to "Oliver Twist"

Name:	P1280425.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	73220

Name:	P1280427.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	73221

Name:	P1280434.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	73222

Name:	P1280449.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	73223

Name:	P1280455.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	73224

Name:	P1280467.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	73225

Name:	P1280475.jpg
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	73226

Name:	P1280494.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	73227

Name:	P1280529.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	73228

Comment

• As my 45 year old 8mm film print of The Projected Man is showing its age I purchased the Blu-Ray very impressed.
                Also Blue Hawaii 4K UHD beautiful colour.

Comment

• Last night final screening here before junior returns home to start high school next week, it was "Signs" boy did that make Connor jump, especially at the scene where the alien gets his fingers cut off.

One thing for sure our grandkids, is when they visit they will always remember those "mystery" film evenings . My son Steven called in on his way home from work "Connor dad", Connor told him about me about letting him watch a movie about a man building a bridge in Africa When I told Steven it was "The Ghost and the Darkness" WHAT he says, you forgot to mention the 20 or so that GET EATEN.... a man building a bridge he says well it was, my reply.

A couple of screen shots from a past one,
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300988.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	73249
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300965.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	73250

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300980.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.8 KB ID:	73251

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1300985.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.7 KB ID:	73252

Comment

• Been working through a selection of blu-ray and DVDs using the Panasonic VP for the purpose.

A few nights ago we watched the above
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1320344.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.8 KB ID:	73452
                    Other titles below were by myself
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1320342.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.1 KB ID:	73453
                    Tonight it was "The Guns Of Navarone" being one of my favorite films from the past
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1320376.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.1 KB ID:	73454
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1320377.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.5 KB ID:	73455
                    And last night it was the turn of this blu-ray, the landscape photography is really outstanding, with English sub-titles both Yvonne and me and by accident, went to the wrong film one night back in the 1980s, it happened to be this one. I thought at the time, this is a long trailer any we stayed and thought in the end, it was pretty good movie. The ending is one of the best the cold landscape is so well captured you feel cold just watching it
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1320373.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	73456
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1320375.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.0 KB ID:	73457

Comment

• Yesterday I screened “ Mrs Harris Goes to Paris” on DVD in my home cinema to members of wife’s WI. It was one of their members money raising events for their charity of the year. Coincidentally it it also being screened at our local cinema shortly as one of their Wednesday morning film club repeat screenings. Who said DVDs are obsolete! Ken Finch.

Comment

• Superb gothic ghost horror story from Guillermo del Toro. Ghost of a dead mother revisits her only daughter. Devious husband who marries her and his evil creepy sister. Spooky house and twists and turns aplenty. There is also some blood and gore and the ghost comes to the rescue in the end.

I remember seeing it when it came out in 2015 it didn’t really do well at box office on release but well worth a watch. Available on Blu ray for a few pounds.

Some day it will be recognised as a classic. Click image for larger version  Name:	5EAD4AAF-76A3-49B9-9B41-044EE8F4CF30.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.6 KB ID:	73510
                        Last edited by Mike Newell; January 28, 2023, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• I remember watching "Phenomenon" 1996 years ago and always regarded it as a very good film, a couple of days ago I picked up the blu-ray brand new and still sealed for $5 dollars from my favorite second hand shop in town

This movie got poor reviews , to this day I cant figure out why, as in my book this is John Travolta at his best. The directing by Jon Turteltaub was excellent, as with the story, other cast members, in fact I would give it a ten out of ten.

I projected "Phenomenon" last night using the Panasonic VP and found both the Scope picture quality and the DTS 5:1 to be excellent. Reading the back cover it states, all-new digital restoration with enhanced picture and sound, also below {2014 blu-ray release} so I am not sure if there was an earlier release, but I certainly cant fault this one.

"Phenomenon" only has a PG rating, so its suitable for "everyone" to watch, its been one of Yvonne favorite films to watch in the past, but it last night using the VP for the first time with this blu-ray brought the viewing experience up to a new level.

Its a movie I would highly recommend, I didn't take any screen shots but here are a couple from the internet, also check out the actor from Star Trek in this scene in the you-tube video?, you should know him.

Name:	Phenomenon-663806258-large.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	73591

Name:	Phenomenon-253444827-large.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	73592

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                            I remember watching "Phenomenon" 1996 years ago...
                            1,996 years ago? Wow!

I see it got pretty good user reviews on IMDB and 59% Audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. Looks like a "love it or hate it" kind of film. After watching the trailer it looks like a movie I would enjoy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post

1,996 years ago? Wow!

Another of those - "Eats shoots and leaves" moments.

Comment

• mmmm Ed I must have been in a rush when I posted it, or is it an age thing? I am sure you will enjoy it, however my Wife Yvonne had to get the tissues out last night near its end.
                                Right of to Muffin Break to re-charge my brain cells
                                Last edited by Graham Ritchie; January 29, 2023, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X