No announcement yet.

Your Today in Pictures...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version  Name:	890FF072-DCD3-457D-A173-A84EE0034190.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	10.0 KB ID:	23830
    Last edited by Chip Gelmini; December 22, 2020, 06:32 PM. Reason: The Star of Bethlehem 12/21 from internet not mine

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	me at wright patt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.8 KB ID:	23833
      Me in front of the " Avocar" , USAF 's version of an " official " UFO .
      Wright-Pat AFB , Dayton , Ohio .

Comment

• Righteous, David!

Comment

• Thanks Steve

it reminds of something out of " The Jetsons " !

Comment

• Now, I've heard of "personalized Christmas ornaments"....

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2858.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.9 KB ID:	24029

-but this one is like the good folks at Hallmark are spying on me! 😉
            Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2624.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	24030

Main Swimming Pool, Shalimar Hotel, Wildwood New Jersey

They may have finished theirs, but mine actually works!

-a merry, Amphibious Christmas to All!

Comment

• Today, after donating blood I picked a few of these raspberries still ripening outdoors in my back garden and enjoying the rose I picked on Christmas day from the front of the house. And people still deny global warming!!!!

Comment

• Comment

• Where else could you see a Palm Tree and snow covered hills in the same picture?

Comment

• Know where else Ali but that had me thinking how did they get there?, surely they are not native, although I could be wrong you never know, or were they transported across the oceans to Scotland this way

Click image for larger version  Name:	Picture 031 (Custom) (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.3 KB ID:	24482

Comment

• Palm trees grow in Seattle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Palm trees and snow in Seattle.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	24496
                      There are not that many types Palms that tolerate extreme cold. Here is information I found in our local daily newspaper (Seattle Times):

Two of the hardiest palm trees are Chinese windmill palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) and Mediterranean fan palm (Chamaerops humilis).Windmill palms have thick trunks, wider at the top than at the bottom, and grow quickly.

The fan palm is one of the very hardiest, able to withstand temperatures down to 0 degrees (briefly) and tolerate strong winds. It grows much more slowly than the windmill palm and is shrubbier, with sprays of foliage growing out all along the trunk. It has bluish-green leaves and nasty spines on the leaf stalks. I’ve seen both of these kinds of palms for sale in larger nurseries.

Always be careful when you plant or transplant palms; unlike other plants, if they lose a root, it won’t grow back. Soak the root ball before carefully and gently moving a palm into a pot or into the garden.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	Marvis April 2019.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.4 KB ID:	24502

When we arrive in Wildwood, New Jersey for CineSea, there are palm trees all over the place!

-but maybe they shouldn't count quite the same: a wise friend once said "You can always tell when it's Springtime in Wildwood, they've assembled the palm trees!"

Comment

• Comment

• Well Graham, that's a question for my sister as she is the flora/fauna expert in the family so I'll ask her.

The pictures above are from right on the front, just along from where the ferry and The Waverley (when it's running!) docks. There are two large 'putting-greens' surrounded by Palms - the picture above with no Palms in it I took yesterday (along with the snow covered hills in the background) - is the same area as in the picture with 3 people in it which is of 2 of my brothers and my sister, on the putting-green on a visit to the island in 1989!

Ed - nice picture, and now it makes me want to visit Seattle sometime! 🙂

Comment

• Btw Graham - a great picture too! Where exactly is that?

Comment

• No idea Ali, but it caught my eye a few years back on the internet

Comment

Working...
                                X