8mm Forum

my profile | my password | register | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 218 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  216  217  218 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 22, 2008 03:38 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each year I like to update my post starting this thread, so as we near its 8th anniversary I hope you can all squeeze a film or two in over the weekend to celebrate all that is 8mm.

Thumbing through the many posts posted over the years you will find this a very unique thread as to what is popular with collectors and perhaps the fun we all have with 8mm cine film.

There is simply nothing like it!

So then here is your opportunity to tell us what film you watched recently and it can be as short or as long film as they come.

Happy viewing! [Cool]

[ February 20, 2016, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2008 04:06 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage   Email John Clancy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't run anything last night, but the night before we put 2010 on in the living room. Partly as an excuse to use the 10ft screen and partly to see Roy Scheider at work.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2008 04:06 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well last night line up was 3 screenings...
TRIUMPTH OF THE WILL in 16mm
RAISE THE TITANIC reel 4 (raising scenes)16mm
TAXI DRIVER super 8 400ft digest

Patrick

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2008 12:47 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3   Email James N. Savage 3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing last night. But last week I showed STAR WARS full length / scope for family. Because of our busy scheduals, we actually watched one 800 foot reel per evening (3 total). We do this with features sometimes. It gives us something to look forward to the next day [Wink] . Sort of like watching the old serials like Batman & Flash Gordon. I will usually do this only when its family. Otherwise, I show the full features at one showing.

James.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 22, 2008 01:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Night?

Railroad films!:

Blackhawk's On the Bustling Narrow Gauge
Sunday River Productions' Ride the San Juan

Both were silent since it was after my son's bedtime. Both are 1940s views of long gone stretches of the Denver and Rio Grande narrow gauge lines in Colorado and New Mexico.

-very satisfying with a nice glass of port!

Night before, everybody was still up: Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper.

Features in my house very often start Monday night and run a reel per night throughout the week.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2008 03:59 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James...I know how you feel. I've been watching about 7 minutes a night of The World is Not Enough. Not enough time , either. Due to schedules that's about all the time there is. I'll take my 7 year old into the screening room for a cartoon some evenings.....7 minutes.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 22, 2008 05:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage   Email Osi Osgood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I perhaps watch the films once or perhaps twice a week ...

but I'm nearly fiddling with film every single day!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 22, 2008 05:33 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I don't have at least one projector sitting at the far end of the dining room table, it probably means we're having company.

Depending on the company, they may just reappear there after desert!

I have a pull down screen behind the living room window's curtains, so whenever the mood hits I'm within about 1 minute of show time.

--------------------

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2008 09:11 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The night before last we had a mammoth film show and watched our recent ebay aquisitions. We started with "The Sea Hawk",Derann's excellent 2x400 footer which is a great cutdown. This was followed by Walton's 4x400ft "Carry on Cleo". We then had "The War of the Worlds". This was the Marketing Films 3x400ft version which is beautifully edited. I used to have the full feature of this but the colour was fading, but the mini feature does not seem to have suffered at all. Finally we ended the evening with Walton's 4x400ft full screen version of "Doctor Who and the Daleks". A great film in superb unfaded condition. I have a great affection for Walton Films, possibly because my dad had quite a collection of them and I get all nostalgic when I see their big 'W' logo appear on the screen, but also because the quality of their prints were often superior to other British home cinema distributors in the 60's and 70's. This shows in the fact that all of the Walton colour features in my collection have not faded.

Paul.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 24, 2008 05:20 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight : Derann's Super 8 (and superb) print of The Prince and the Pauper (starring Mickey Mouse) - pulse-synched in French and stereo for my non english speaking audience

[ November 06, 2010, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2008 08:44 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 Stooges in "A Bird In The Head", "Gabby's Diner" (Woody Wodpecker), "Studio Stoops" (Stooges), "We Want Our Mummy" (Stooges). What can I say, my 5-year old daughter loves all the "bonks" in their films. The wifey's not too crazy about showing her these - for fear she'll try to emulate what she sees, but so far no worries.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 24, 2008 10:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not watching much at the moment its still summer, however last night watched a little bit of film, Mickey's Service Station on Super8, a NZ 16mm 1950s NFU travel film "Four Ways To Milford" stunning scenery, beautiful color, a 20min reel of 35mm film of adds and trls included ET, finished the night with should I say it [Eek!] the VP the movie "The Client" 1994 an excellent film starring Tommy Lee Jones, Susan Sarandon and Brad Renfro makes a nice change from the current films on the cinema, sadly I understand Brad Renfro died from a drug overdose last month, well its a beautiful summers night so no films tonight.

Graham. [Smile]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 04, 2008 01:13 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, we had a short program of short subjects:
- Jaws 200ft Super 8 cutdown
- Quo Vadis 200ft super 8 cutdown
- Donald Duck in the High Andes super 8 200ft

[ November 06, 2010, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2008 07:57 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad.......My daughter is now seven, but I started her at age 3 with the Stooges Microphonies....which she would ask to watch on film and on tape over and over.....she got started on Stooges by a Stooges magnet I had on the refrigerator. She was intrigued by it and started asking questions about the guys. I found those less violent New Three Stooges /live action/cartoons from the 60's...and she watched them ..and still does watch those on her DVD player. She still prefers Stooges "on the wall"....meaning on film in the screening room...and prefers Curly to Shemp.....but she did enjoy my print of Snow White and the Three Stooges....and also The Three Stooges Go Around the World in a Daze. So far he has not tried to imitate any of the Stooges antics.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 04, 2008 09:29 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little my Mom banned the Stooges because she said they made me hit my sister.

The Stooges had nothing to do with it: she was a pain!

(-at least back then!)

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2008 03:57 PM      Profile for Mal Brake   Email Mal Brake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did a show in a local social club this afternoon for the Great Western Railway Retired Staff Association. This is the 6th time for me to screen steam train films for them.

The selection the made was Movietone News:150th Anniversary Of Steam; BTF Train Time; Land Of The Little Trains; R,H&D Railway.

Before the programme started one of the audience handed me a

spool with about 200ft of super8 film on it. He told me it was about 25 years old, he was in it but had never seen it. In fact the film had never been shown to an audience.

It turned out to be a quite well made record with members of the Neath Valley Railway Preservation Society removing an old signal box and using a crane, put it onto a lowloader. It had live sound and the colour was very good. Being very local, the members enjoyed it, with the person appearing in it offering to sell his autograph at the end of the meeting!

I have now been asked to repeat the whole programme to the above-mentioned NVRPS in May. Had a little problem (again) with the GS before the start, but with that put right the m/c then perfomed beautifully, the sound was incredible in the large hall.
Have another show next Wednesday for a Senior Citizen group;good old super 8.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 05, 2008 04:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal,

You were brave screening a reel you'd never seen before. I did this once and it turned out to be a skin flick! Even better was the audience was mainly the family and widow of the reel's former owner! (surprise!)

-everybody has secrets, but some don't get buried with their keepers.

The best part was one guy in the crowd didn't want me to turn it off!

I have a bunch of friends that include somebody that is retired from the Long Island Railroad, one that is currently with Amtrak, plus a whole bunch of Model Railroaders and generalized train freaks (myself included!). I'll have to try to do a railroad film show myself sometime.

I did a show recently for a number of people in their 70s and 80s and it was going really well. Then I put an Our Gang short on and they really liked it. I guess that took them back a long time.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 05, 2008 09:41 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
That was a very amusing story [Smile] I like the bit where you mention about the guy not wanting you to switch it off [Big Grin] for the rest of the audience including the projectionist it must have been like [Eek!]

Graham. [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 05, 2008 10:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, silly me!:

When I saw the reel it looked obviously like commercially produced, silent black and white film, so I hoped maybe I'd stumbled on some early L&H or Charlie Chaplin.

Suffice it to say I didn't know any of the actors but the story line was the oldest one known!

This was bargain basement, cheesy stuff too: the reel began with somebody's hand reaching into frame with a title that looked handwritten in Magic Marker on a ragged piece of paper.

-I've seen better done titles on people's vacation movies!

You got the feeling that had there actually been credits one of the crew would be somebody to sound the alarm if the cops showed up!

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 06, 2008 12:40 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday's show: Zombie (Dawn of the Dead) - UFA 3 parter

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 08, 2008 01:37 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday's show:
- Goldeneye opening - scope / stereo - from CHC
- La Course à l'échalote (french comedy released by UFA as a three-reeler and recently redubbed)

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2008 04:26 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage   Email John Clancy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A standard 8 short entitled 'Moon Conquest'. Released by the Daily Express and shipped to pre-order customers just after Apollo 10 went right around the moon looking for possible landing sites (for Apollo 11).

50ft colour silent - but very little colour left.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 13, 2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, I screened the dvd of Monsters Inc. for my daughter as she looks very much like Boo. [Big Grin]

[ November 06, 2010, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2008 05:48 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonights show on the Elmo Projectoris was a mixed diet - the UFA 4 x 400ft version of "El CID", with English soundtrack and Disney's "Aladdin". What a superb print that is.
My new "pet" still has "impeccable table manners" when devouring its diet of Super 8 film and its stereo "song" is something to behold.
I have promised it a meal of "Black and White" tomorrow night - "Whiskey Galore" and "Happiest Days of Your Life".
I feel that a varied diet will keep the new machine happy (and me also, of course).

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2008 04:10 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage   Email John Clancy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't suppose that copy of El Cid still has the original boxes Keith? If it does I'd like to see one, particularly as we're currently researching UFA for the next 'smallformat' article.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 218 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  216  217  218 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2010 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC