8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 38)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2009 09:28 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was a varied film night. We began with "The Monster From Under The Sea". This is a 200ft extract from Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" with excellent colour and sound on this print by Buck Labs. Next we had the MGM 3X400ft "Where Eagles Dare". What a great digest this is. It is superbly edited and is fast paced action and excitement all the way. I recommend getting hold of this title if you can as it is great entertainment and the colours have held up very well on this title. We concluded our evening with Cecil B. DeMille's immortal classic "The Ten Commandments". This was the 3X400ft mini feature from Marketing Films and it has absolutely stunning colour and is a wonderful print on low fade polyestar stock. I have the latest DVD of this film and I have owned every commercial release of this film since the Betamax double cassette version from the early 1980's as it is a personal favourite of mine, but I can honestly say that this Super 8 release is visually the most satisfying as it looks like it did when I first saw this film in the cinema in the early 1960's. The editors did a nice job with this film but a full length print in this quality would have been wonderful. Oh well, what a pity, never mind. [Smile]

Paul.

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2009 09:39 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, The Ten Commandments was offered as a complete
full length 8mm feature many years ago. I remember seeing it
listed and it was hugely expensive. Around 20 years ago
it was selling for about $1,000.00 USA.

Osi, LPP depending on how it is processed, can return either
blue or green hues. The lab work is important.
I have numerous films on LPP
and they have perfect color and without that blue cast.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday Evening October 15, 2009 @ 8:15PM

Shorts:
Elmo Sound Demonstration Film
Arneson Pool Cleaner
Jurassic Park The Ride Promo
Rendezvous
Notes To You

Trailer:
The Sting

Feature:
Hoppity Goes To Town

This was all on super 8 sound. And it brought back some grand memories....the reel of shorts were some of my very earliest in my collection. Most basic models of Elmo projectors, factory new, came with the 50' demonstration film. The pool cleaner was something I found in a cassette which I pulled and mounted on a reel. Rendezvous is a pretty funny film of very old monster movie scenes - perfect for Halloween - with music by Frank Sinatra (Strangers In the Night). Notes To You was a classic Porky Pig cartoon. And the feature still has surprisingly good color which in that title is hard to find. I am pleased to report that EVERYTHING ran just fine although the Porky Pig cartoon was definitely turning to pink. But then again, pink is acceptable if it's ham.

[Big Grin]

Gosh How I LOVE this format!

[ October 16, 2009, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Chip Gelmini ]

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2009 04:22 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Osi.
Yes, you are right. I should only write AGFA referring to Agfa stock and LPP when referring to Eastman LPP. Mine it's a honest and innocent way to refer to superior film stocks. Sorry [Wink] .

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2009 04:42 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday we watched the Derann print of Die hard with German Stereo Sound. Good sharpness and amazing colours.
 -  -

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2009 04:45 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...

--------------------

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2009 05:27 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay my camera is not the best to photograph Film Sequences [Big Grin]
And the problem with the high zoom factor in the edges.

Tonight is the Ben Hur night. If possible I will post some photos.

Regards and have a nice weekend,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2009 05:29 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, my 'wow' was sincere. Good shots!

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2009 07:55 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was my birthday so I ran , for the first time ever, the Castle Films News parade from my birthyear...1949. It proved to me what I already knew.....absolutely nothing happened in 1949. Good print, though.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 16, 2009 08:20 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something did happen in 1949, a future film collector was born, and thats always a good thing! Happy after-Birthday!

(being I'm a little late)

Chip ... was your "Hoppity" the agfa Red Fox print or the Derann rerelease on L.P.P.?

Gian ... Grasshopper, a good student, you are!

That Die Hard really is a great print. Curious thing about that movie. We just watched the two disc DVD set of that film and I immediately noticed that the FOX logo was off center. It actually wasn't. Though the movie was in Letterbox, it was in what I call, "Cheater Letterbox". The edge of the FOX logo was right at the right edge of the TV. In other words, a good 20 percent of the full anamorphic image was still cropped off!

Its strange what goes through studio executives minds. We can give em some letterboxing, but whoa! They won't stand for a fully anamorphic transfer!

On that "Ben Hur" print, I'll be curious to see any screenshots if possible. My print has a bluish cast with a slightly brighter edge on the right hand side of the frame. It's not too distracting most of the time, but it does distract.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2009 08:22 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
regarding the feature length "The Ten Commandments", I wonder how the colours held up. I had a full length "War of the Worlds" that had significantly faded whereas the 3x400ft is still excellent. Also I have heard that "Murder on the Orient Express" is usually faded. Could Marketing Films have printed their feature releases on inferior film stock to keep their costs down?

Paul.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 16, 2009 08:32 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul ...

That must be the case, as there are both good and bad prints ranging from the same time. I wonder how much film stock control the assorted film companies (Marketing and beyond) had when sending the negatives to the labs, as I'm sure that different labs had different stocks utilized.

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2009 08:50 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi: I am not sure which version my print of Hoppity is.

Also, on the Die Hard 20th Fox logo....

On the first two releases of this movie Die Hard and Die Hard II Die Harder - Fox actually had FLAT versions of the logo on the front of the SCOPE prints. And yes, I do mean on the 35mm prints. Now I don't know why this was done. But if they didn't catch that on the video release, this could be the problem which you describe. Assuming that, all home version releases come from a master copy somewhere.

CG

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 16, 2009 10:02 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear where your coming from Chip ...

However, that deluxe DVD edition is definitely not the full anamorphic scope.

... but we have it, on Super 8! HAH!

for tonight ...

British Humor ...

"Rising Damp: The Movie"

Three stooges : Pop goes the Easel

animated film "The clock that wouldn't Cuckoo" (Blackhawk)

--------------------

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2009 01:25 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Cuckoo Clock" Tex Avery cartoon, new Derann print, first viewing!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 16, 2009 02:06 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't screened any Super8 for a while so last night it was time to give the projector a run.

1/800ft reel
Gone Nutty
The Old Mill "new copy from Derann last year"
Shopping for a Queen..a L/L from 1959
The Night Before Christmas 1933 "a stunning Derann print"

1/600ft reel
The Frog and the Princess
Donald Duck and the Gorilla
Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby

Apart from the "Look at Life" which was slightly washed out in colour "still very good", all the other shorts were excellent prints nice and sharp with good sound. The projector was a GS1200 fitted with a two bladed shutter and Xenophot lamp [Cool] .

Graham.

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2009 05:13 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul: Ten Commandments is also one of my favorite movies.
In the past years I had many prints of this great movie on film.
The Marketing 3x400 is nice, I never watched the marketing full length feature but you can buy brand new Super 8 german prints.
A friend of mine have also one used print for sale, if I remember right he want 400 Euro for his print.
In the past I had few nice 16mm Technicolor prints of this movie, I sold a very nice print to a collector in the USA. Unfortunately this was a composed print 60% IB Tech and 40% faded. I sold few months ago another german dubbed 16mm IB print to a friend of mine. I restored this print from 3 different prints and I ordered few missed minutes from the film lab who make the S8 prints (this 16mm footage was made from the same negative) and you see a big difference between the Technicolor print and the new print. The new print is very good but far away from the great Technicolor color.
I watched also a 35mm IB Tech. print and I must say the best Ten Commandments print I ever watched was the first 1 hour of
my first 16mm print (the composed print).
Here are some screenshots from this. :-(
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2009 05:29 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simply great shots, Oemer. My compliments. Amazing, amazing, amazing!

Mike, did you have any chance to watch those files?
Let me know.

CIAO

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 16, 2009 09:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, your not kidding Gian!

Those screenshots have better color than the "restored" laserdisc version that I have from about 15 years ago. Yeah, it was 15 years ago, but it was restored. Those screenshots prove that they botched at least that laserdisc edition!

--------------------

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2009 11:15 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing tonight but earlier this afternoon I showed the 200' digests of Superman and Pit & The Pendulum followed by the DVD of Curse Of The Werewolf.

My mother was watching with me and enjoyed both digests very much. Curse Of The Werewolf was also very good. Neither of us had seen it and we were very pleased with it.

Osi, I don't know about the Super 8 prints of Die Hard, but the original 35mm theatrical release did use a flat logo but vertically squeezed it. This is maintained on all widescreen video formats including Blu-Ray. The pan & scan versions show the logo normally though.

The 35mm theatrical release of Die Hard 2 (Die Harder is a promotional title and never appears on the screen. At least on US prints.) had a normal scope logo as do all video versions including Blu-Ray.

My guess is that for the Super 8 version, someone decided to present the logo normally which caused the cropping. I can't say what happened in the first place. John McTeirnan would probably know but nobody has ever asked him.

As for The 10 Commandments, according to film restorer Robert Harris, the restoration was handled correctly, the video transfer was not.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2009 01:38 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last nights showing was
BEN HUR 1x400ft cinevision
DALEKS INVASION OF EARTH 2150Ad 4x400ft
both super 8 sound!

and on 16mm
TRIUMPH OF THE WILL
SOS TITANIC

Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 17, 2009 01:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was that the print I traded to you Pat?

I was struck that the print had that perfectly black leader, and yet the source print had a slightly washed out color. Some of it looked just about perfect ...

... but it was the cut of that digest that really impressed me.
I'm glad that your still enjoying it!

Back to that Ten Commandment print. The thing that strikes me about those screenshots, (must look even more incredible in person), is that the color is so natural, so perfect. On that restored Laserdisc, while the image is very sharp and clean, the colors have that "50's-ish" looking color. I'm sure that someone else could better explain it.

Those screen captures have a very good natural color spectrum. If the negative used for that print is the same as used for the Marketing Super 8 release, (as stated above), then, though I semi-retired with my collecting, I may be tempted to
hunt that 3X400ft down!

--------------------

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2009 07:59 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi
Yep the BEN HUR print is ex you!
despite it's fade, it is a very good digest, I would not mind the 3x400ft version of it!
Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 10:08 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Ealing" first lot screening:

16mm (all from the bring and buy stall):
The Blue Light - Leni Riefenstahl: test screening
Gentlemen's gentleman, Pluto's cartoon: very nice short, no splices and some lines here and there
Unknown spanish tank documentary: nice images but only an excerpt

Super 8:
MASH 400' selected scenes
Goldeneye pre title sequence: new copy from CHC

maybe in the evening I'll go with the second lot (cartoon short section) and ll check in my editor the third lot (the fiction section)

Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 04:16 PM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vampire Circus, flawless 8mm Walton print. Have to get new batteries for my camera, so I can make stunning pictures to post and to drool over.

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC