8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 39)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 04:35 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had my sister-in-law and her family visiting to see the new home cinema, so I showed some reels suitable for the kids (1,5 and 5 years old).

- "Dr. Jekyll and mr. Mouse" - Tom and Jerry Super8 sound 200'
- "14 Carrot Rabbit" - Bugs Bunny/Yosemite Sam Super8 sound 200'
- "Clown of the Jungle" - Donald Duck Super8 silent 200' (had audio accompanying via YouTube)

Then showed two reels for the "adults":
- The Great Train Robbery - 1903 Western, Regular 8mm silent 200'
- Man United vs Anderlech, European Cup 1968, super8 silent (yes, we are very addicted to football here).

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

|  IP: Logged

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 11:42 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday (sunday afternoon), after having re-recorded in Italian Stereo, I finally screened one of my favorite thriller: SILENCE OF THE LAMBS...

Just shot some pictures from this great Derann print

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Hope you will enjoy them...

Flavio

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 12:14 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flavio,

how was the sound of your copy, before you dubbed it? Mine is not so good and I always have to equalize high tones to have a decent sound.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That print looks truly stunning [Smile]

Too bad you don't enjoy it with the classic sound of Anthony Hopkins [Wink]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 19, 2009 01:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Strange ...

The thing I liked best from that movie was the double subliminal imagery in the original poster.

You first see the beautiful endering of the Moth on the poster ...

You look closer, and you see the super-imposed Skull in the moth ...

You look even further, and you see ther orgy scene, (well, at least two guys and a woman).

Cool subliminals.

Tonights film viewing at the Osgood house?

"Goodwill to Men" scope, MGM 200ft

"STAR WARS" (600ft Marketing digest) I can never get enough of that one!

"Raid on Entebbe" 4X600ft (Charles Bronson/Peter Finch) The actioneer about the real life hostage rescue from the 70's.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Fabrizio,

I saw only the first reel in English, before re-recording, and the sound (also the original was in stereo) was not so bad in my opinion. For sure the use of the equalizer could have helped with high frequencies.

Flavio

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 03:52 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All my compliments, Flavio.
Great print and wonderful shots.
Ciao!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 11:41 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday Night October 19 2oo9 @ 8:30pm

Everything on super 8 sound

Short:
High Society Digest print 2 x 400'

Trailers:
Poltergeist
10 (Bo Derek)
Animal House
Stripes
Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs
Elmo Sound Demonstration Film

Feature:
Top Hat

You know, this is getting interesting. Watching all these movies every Monday night. I am enjoying my collection more than ever before. It's kind of weird, actually.

Before I was a projectionist in theaters, I spent alot of time with my hobby of super 8. Maybe because I wished for more. Maybe because I wanted to be that projectionist in a theater full of patrons. Maybe because I just wanted to have fun.

But since I no longer run movies for pay, I'm back to the super 8. Maybe because (ironically) purchasing a video projector gave more spark to the hobby. Being able to pick up copies of all those other movies I'd wished to be on super 8 that never would be.

But yet, since May, I've used the super 8 projectors more than any other summer or same period of time. This is reflected on my clip board, where I log in all shows run to the screen.

The time I spend in my little booth is mind boggling. You've all seen pictures of my set up and know the laundry shares the cinema. Well each day when I go down to get clean clothes for the day, I step in to the booth and give a visual check. You know, just to make sure everything is OK. Even if only for a moment.

That's the power of super 8. That I can spend so much time with it and not worry. Even when I sleep. I have reoccurring dreams that I am back at a theater running the booth, making my rounds, just making sure all is alright. I have dreams that I'm back at the Randhurst shopping mall in Mount Prospect Illinois in 1972 picking up my first Vernon dual 8 editor - or a bunch of 400 foot Scherer dual 8 reels with the snap in removable adapters.

Even with dreams of super 8 I'm addicted. And you know what?

It's still a lot of fun.

Thank you for listening! [Big Grin]

[ October 20, 2009, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Chip Gelmini ]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 02:15 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip although I do not know you personally I become somewhat familiar with people on the forum from their posts, and there was a time when I was thinking we had lost you as every screening seemed to be video, but what you just wrote was poetry and even if your next 100 screenings are video I can see that the film is part of you and it is inspirational. [Smile]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 02:21 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I told, last Friday was the Ben Hur-Night.
The pictures were not as good, as they should be...perhaps the distance was too high. We showed it with a width of 3m and minimal zoom (that's the reason of the high distance). And sometimes I forgot to shoot the pictures because the film and the quality were so fascinating...
The last 2 pictures are the setup of the evening after ending the show. For the (simulated) surround sound we used a Shure HTS-5000.

The Program:

Some Commercials (Deutsche Bahn, Flensburger Pils, Levi's, Gib Aids keine Chance)

Trailers:
- Grease
- The jungle book
- Titanic
- The fall of the roman empire

Short:
The pink panther: G.I. Pink

Full Feature:
Ben Hur

As a surprise, because it was around midnight, when the feature ends:
- Frankenstein starring Boris Carloff (400 ft.)

-

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 03:44 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once more my compliments, Michael.
That's what I REALLY call HOME CINEMA.
Thanks for posting your pictures. They always delight me.

--------------------

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 04:15 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian,
thanks for your compliments.
It was a really great evening.

It's in the dance school of a friend of mine.
We were 5 persons who saw the film. There should be 10 guests, but most of them became ill.
The projectors were two Elmo ST-1200 HD, one with standard 1.3 and one with 1.1-lens, but we didn't saw a very high difference in the light...

My home cinema is much smaller [Big Grin]
If I can say "home cinema" to it... [Wink]
In the next days I will post some photos of it.

But just one question: How do you get your pictures so sharp and with such a good colour ?

Regards,
Michael

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 04:39 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having decided to leave the office a little early last night, I decided to screen a couple of B&W films; both 16mm.

First was Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt", 1943, which I had been after for some time, and finally bought from Michael O'Regan whilst at the BFCC.

It stars Joseph Cotten and Teresa Wright (uncle and neice in the film), where Cotten (Uncle Charlie) is suspected of murdering wealthy widows for their money. Wright (also named Charlie, after her uncle) thinks he's the most wonderful uncle in the world, until her suspicions are aroused by a couple of undercover detectives. Naturally she begins to fall for one of the detectives, and things begin to reach a head when she falls victim to some of 'Uncle Charlie's' contrived accidents to get her out of the way - as he now realises that she knows a little too much.

It's interesting to note that Teresa Wright was the only performer ever to be nominated for Oscars for her first three films. She passed away in 2005 at the age of 87.

I'll leave it there, but I'm sure many will know the story anyway.

Next up was Carl Theodor Dreyer's "Vampyr", 1932, with Julian West as Allan Grey, Rena Mandel as Gisele, and Sybille Schmitz as Leone.

This film is always a surprise and delight, for it has German sound, English sub-titles, and musical background. The sound is pretty poor by today's standards, but certainly adds to the eerie atmosphere of the film - particularly the music.

An excellent example of the film noir genre, the story of which is briefly as follows (from IMDb):

"Young traveller Allan Grey arrives in a remote castle and starts seeing weird, inexplicable sights (a man whose shadow has a life of its own, a mysterious scythe-bearing figure tolling a bell, a terrifying dream of his own burial). Things come to a head when one of the daughters of the lord of the castle succumbs to anaemia - or is it something more sinister"?

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable horror evening.

By-the-way..........

My dear wife (Carol) has just agreed that we can use / turn the spare downstairs reception room, currently affectionately refered to as "The Den", into a cinema room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow - how about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 05:17 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20th October 2009, Tuesday.

Super 8 matinée test screening with REMI, LE SUE AVVENTURE (Rittai anime ie naki ko) by Dezaki Osamu.

Very enjoyable 30 years old digests by Technofilm on 3M and Kodak SP still in good shape.

-  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

Projector used: Elmo ST 1200 HD m/o; Elmo 1.0

Michael, I personally think your pictures are ok. If I were you, I would only try to take shots while screening 'daylight' sequences/scenes, avoiding too much dark images. Results will be definitely better. Take care.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 20, 2009 05:24 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

I'm glad you're enjoying SHADOW OF A DOUBT.

How are the new Ampros?

-Mike

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 06:12 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike -

Only had time to unpack them from the car; but they are FANTASTIC! [Big Grin]

Can't wait to get them up and running, but that will have to be in the fullness of time, as I will now be concentrating on my new home cinema room - (see final comment in my last posting).

Cheers!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 05:14 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20th October 2009, Tuesday.

Super 8 screening night.
The programme:

TRAILERS
- Evita
- Armageddon
- Save Private Ryan
- Schindler's List
- Psyco
- Fantasia 2000 (incredibly stunning print)

SHORTS
- One Man Band (Pixar; I love it!)

FULL FEATURE
- Goldrake l'invincibile (sometimes there are things worth waiting. Stunning print. And in perfect condition, even if used. Not a single line or scratch. How happy I am!).

-  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

Projector used: Elmo GS 1200 # 1; Elmo 1.0

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 21, 2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As always, screenshots that are a pleasure to view, Gian!

Honestly, I have never been a fan of anime, (excpet for the first Robotech series: Macross saga, and the truly superb Cowboy Bebop, now THERE'S a Super 8 feature I'd love to see!),
but I'm glad that your search for an apparantly mint condition print of this has been fruitful!

Manga! (or is it Manja?)

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2009 05:02 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, this is a super 8 movie I have dreamed about for so longtime; compare the color quality to the DVD one by watching the following linked videos.
Isn't it a super print indeed?

Goldrake

Goldrake 2

Not really a Manga-Manja, mine. Just a little 'nostalgia'. This tv animated series is in all ex '78 Italian children's blood (now in their forties).
Great great great print!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 21, 2009 06:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have a good point indeed, Gian.

I have noticed that, while the Japanese have been quite prolific with their anime, they have not been as good on restoration of their films.

I would love to see the unedited original Japanese version of "Robotech", nudity and all!

Tonights film show ...

Carrotblanca (Bugs Bunny, 1994 (I think) beautiful print, but I need to re-record the sound).

High Plains Drifter (2X400ft)

HOOPER! Optical sound (Burt Reynholds, Jan Micheal Vincent 1978)

Burt plays an aging stuntman who is getting pressure from a newcomer (Micheal Vincent). A reel homage to Hollywood stuntmen.
This is a japanese release and does have some Japanese subtitling to it, but it is in english sound. Besides, all the best scenes, all the action, there's no dialogue, so no subtitles!

--------------------

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 12:20 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night showings.
JAWS 2 1x400ft Universal 8
THE DAM BUSTERS 1x400ft Walton
My latest buys from Derann [Big Grin]
Patrick

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 01:42 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I screened a very good Derann-Release in Scope and German Stereo Sound: Die hard 2 - Die harder

As I said before, my camera is not the best [Wink]

-  -

Projector: Elmo ST-1200 HD,
Lens: Elmo Super Zoom Lens 1:1,3/15-25mm
Anamorphot: Rathenower Rectimascope 48/2x

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 22, 2009 10:51 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

Your Die Hard print does show an excellent print. But I notice the projected picture does not have a perfect square. Gian did also have the same symptom when he posted his scope prints.

The reason why I am asking this because I do have the same problem. I posted my question here long time ago. And the response from other members did not solve the problems.

So can anybody explain that the vignette is normal symptom in projecting 8mm scope prints ?

regards,

--------------------
Winbert

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 11:27 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,
I have my own theory to the problem and I try to say it in english [Smile]

I think it is the low distance between lens and screen. So I must zoom the film very high. If I take a low focus, I will get no round edges.
Then there is the length of the anamorphot. If the lens-zoom is high and so the focus is short, perhaps the front of the anamorphot is too small for the picture. So it leaves the a. not with the right width and shows the corners of the anamorphot on the screen. That's why the corners are round.

When we screened Ben Hur last weekend, the projector was wide enough to the screen and we had no roundings (as you can see above).

I hope you know, what I mean [Big Grin]

Regards,
Michael

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 22, 2009 11:36 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the explanation and I have been thinking that was the matter too (I also mentioned it in my old thread).

The problem is now that my HT (in Indonesia) has only 3.5 meter distance between projector and screen. So if I set the lens into minimum (low) zoom although it would show perfect square however the projected picture only took 1/4 of the screen (too small).

However, if I set the lens into maximum zoom then the rounding was so obvious.

First time, I thought it was because the anamorphic lens I used was too small. I then bought an anamorphic lens for 35 mm projector!!. But the rounding (vignette) still took place !! [Mad]

So anyone can suggest what should I do now?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC