8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 118)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  115  116  117  118  119  120  121  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2012 06:50 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I felt like watching a film with a christmas theme, so i saw my 16MM print of We're No Angels starring Humphrey Bogart, Aldo Ray and Peter Ustinov. It's also beautifully supported by Joan Bennet, Basil Rathbone and Leo G. Carrol. And if that's not enough, it's directed by one of the greatest: Michael Curtiz.

The print is a reduction of a really well used 35MM print with Swedish subtitles. 90% of all splices and lines on this copy comes from the master material. I'm not quite sure if the fading is on the 16 or 35MM print, but I suspect mostly from the latter.

As if it was not enough that this is one of Bogarts few comedies, you also get the added bonus to hear him sing a carol together with Ray and Ustinov.

If you have not seen this picture I strongly recomend it. A warning though, it has a VERY dark humor. It's set on the French penal colony of Devil's Island on Christmas-Eve and -Day 1895. Bogart, Ray and Ustinov are prisoners trying to escape that end up in the home of a family that has some trouble.

Thats all I'm gonna tell, don't want to spoil your experience if you not seen it before.

-

-

-
Ray, Bogart and Ustinov singing.

-

-

-
This is the home of the important, but never seen, caracter Adolphe.

-

-

[ December 22, 2012, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Lars-Goran Ahlm ]

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

|  IP: Logged

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2012 07:53 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Compare to what Quentin did with that movie, whose name I can't remember, that was made to look like a worn out drive-in print, and you get the idea.
Quentin Tarantino's GRINDHOUSE.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 23, 2012 08:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On this Christmas Eve(squared) the Sci-Fi Channel seems determined to wear out their Star Trek features, so in (their) spirit of the Season I showed the Star Trek Generations trailer that just arrived from Paul Foster followed by my wonderful Derann 600 footer of The Small One.

-Merry Christmas!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2012 12:40 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey nice screen shots Lars!, I have been watching all my spiritual films to get into the mood of Christmas. Ten Commandments, Ben hur, Joseph, Solomon and Sheba,The Robe,and King of Kings, on Super 8 and Blu-ray. Tonight I watched BEN HUR Nice Print 400 foot digest beautiful color from my friend Osi MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERY BODY!!!  -

-

-

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 24, 2012 12:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked that print that In sold you, as it did have vintage color, (better than what you see in laksmi's shots), as I have the scope feature of this, but I dare say that it is a touch on the bluish side, but quite watchable.

I keep on being VERY tempted to do an edit on it to cut down on projection time, (as I always hated the bloody romantic subplot to the film), but just can't bring myself to splice the film!

ThanX 4 sharing them again!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2012 07:06 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On christmas eve I watched 'Madagascar Penguins in a christmas caper'. Im always amazed by the sharpness of this print even more so when you consider the size of the super 8 frame. One to amaze an audience with.

Graham S

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 25, 2012 09:22 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree Graham - Madagascar Penguins looks like 35mm and has to be the best S8 print I have ever seen.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 25, 2012 09:41 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Christmas Eve we watched "Around The Pond", which is a film I shot in 2005, titled in 2010 and (life being what it is..) edited five weeks ago! These dates correspond to the end of Kodachrome mailers being accepted, the end of Kodachrome processing and me just getting around to doing something from my pile of things to do.

It shows my (then) 3 year old son walking a trail around a beautiful, local pond on a golden, sunny October day and the intertitles talk about what children mean to our lives.

I liked the results so much, I set it aside for an occasion. There can't be many more like this!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2012 09:49 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a look at The Wild One- a digest. A fine B&W Super 8mm Sound 400 ft. strand of celluloid. A depiction of rebel youth on bikes that take over a town. or Lee Marvin vs Marlon Brando- what a great cast. I think Mad Magazine did a sendup on this film portraying Brando as a flaming queen. In reality Brando in the Wild One was a sensitive kind of tough rebel guy. Setting the stage for James Dean in the much deeper depiction of youth of the 50's in Rebel Without A Cause directed by the great Nicholas Ray.

-

-

-

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 25, 2012 02:23 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 6 year old daughter being into a dinosaur craze, we screened One Million Years BC as a Christmas Movie. 16mm Print is OK, good colours but some nasty scratches here and there. "The Land That Time Forgot" is next.

-

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 25, 2012 04:52 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, hope everyone had a good time. [Wink]

Christmas eve was spent running a 1200ft reel consisting of Tom and Jerry "Night Before Christmas" from 1941, the 400 footer "A Walt Disney Christmas" I bought this new when it came out in the 1970s and apart from a bit of slight fade and many screeings over the years its lasted really well, another was Tom and Jerry "Smarty Cat" 1955, a new Derann release at the time I bought it, and is brilliant...Tom showing his home movies to his friends, except for Jerry who is not welcome...well you can guess what follows in true T and J fashion.
Last one was another Derann release "Mickeys Christmas Carol", stunning color with that one.

Of all the Derann releases "The Snowman" must be one of their best and that will be one for later tonight.
 -
A Walt Disney Christmas.....timeless fun.
 -
....Two of our grandkids watching "Walt Disney Christmas" captured thanks to the camera "flash". [Smile]
 -
..."Mickey's Christmas Carol"
 -
.....Tom and Jerry "Night Before Christmas"...The End Title.

Graham.

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2012 05:50 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Few days ago, I intend to screen Star Wars on S8, but on Christmas-eve I changed my mind and wanted screen 35mm. Since 4 Years, I wanted to run again "White Christmas" but I promised my little daughter (4 years old) to screen disneys Cinderella.
I asked my wife, my older daughter (12) and my son (7) if they want watch together Cinderella and nobody wanted watch a movie on film. I wanted cancel the screening, but my little daughter said "I want see Cinderella on the big screen, but not on TV", so we watched this beautiful 35mm technicolor print alone. And it was realy great.

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2012 07:07 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking a break from christmas I watched Remo Williams on Super 8 optical sound.

Can't understand why this one bombed at the time, I have always liked it.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 26, 2012 08:33 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Oemer and Seasons Greetings, what better way to spend
Christmas Eve than watching a favourite film with your young
daughter, who knew what she wanted, time with her Dad and
"Cinderella",I'm sure that happy memory will stay with her forever.
Charming.

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2012 04:30 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh,
Your 100% right.
Merry christmas to you and your family.
Oemer

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2012 12:27 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars - I too have always liked Remo Williams...Great print...

Today i watched a double feature of prints that sadly I will not screen again since they have lost their color...I used Hugh's gels to try and soften the fade to a watchable level, but what a shame to lose them..why does it seem that all of my horror prints fade? First up was a British Hammer knock off called DEVILS OF DARKNESS (1965, 2 x 1600ft 16mm)that was about a vampire cult. Bit of trivia here, this was director Lance Comfort's final film as he died the following year. I followed that with HOUSE OF WAX (1953, 2 x 1600ft 16mm)which is an absolute classic and was written by Crane Wilbur who was a silent star from Perils of Pauline fame that extended his career by writing screenplays.

-

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2012 01:58 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Shots everybody hope you had a nice XMAS! Hey Dino you think you got fade ? I watched a old time favourite of mine THE MAGIC SWORD feature super 8mm color sound 5 X 400 reels. I have been trying to sell it in my eBay store for months with no luck [Confused]  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 01:05 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi, you know the best way to deal with color fading? Go B/W....

Today was a 3 decade triple feature.

Started with the MGM extreme cutdown version of Abel Gance's NAPOLEON (1929, 2 x 1600ft Silent 16mm) which is an unfortunate version that compacts the story so much that all of the subplots are eliminated except the marriage to Josephine. In addition most of the amazing photographic techniques have also been removed...This was followed by a low budget British programmer that features one of my favorites Noah Beery in a comedic role. THE AVENGING HAND (1927, 2 x 1200ft 16mm) is a comedy murder mystery that takes place on New Year's Eve. Nothing special here but a fun way to spend an hour....Finished it off with the final installment in the Invisble Man franchise entitled THE INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE(1944, 2 x 1600ft 16mm) which again is nothing special, but you do get John Carradine and some comedy distractions from Leon Errol....Tomorrow will be one very long film...

-

-

-

--------------------

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 09:19 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Dino you have a digest of Abel Gance's, Napolean! Incredible. I saw Napolean many years ago on the large screen. It used 3 projectors to achieve Gance's Tri Screen Wide screen effect (way before Cinemascope). If anyone has the opportunity to see this film (Coppola revived it I believe) it is an astounding visual feast. It is also one of those films where the entire audience is completely swept up in the power of the story, complimented by an astounding visual multiscreen happening. I have read about and experienced this- the entire audience rises to its feet at the thrilling climax of this film. A must see film on a big screen.

Great screen shots Dino and everyone. Happy New Year.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 10:58 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey good advice Dino fantastic B/W shots and Happy New year to everyone !!! Here is a nice collection of B/W shots you might know for 2013.
 -
 -

-
 -
 -
 -
 -  -

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 28, 2012 12:45 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,
Fantastic screenshots from all three films there.
What score is on that MGM Napoleon ?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 28, 2012 01:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice seeing REMO again. You should keep your yes out for a good color print. This title, as a general rule, has hld up well. I have a print with absolutely no fade to it at all and i wonder if it was another time when they used whatever stock was available, so, one run was Kodak SP whiel another run was LPP. Quite possible.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 02:43 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

Anytime you are ready to part with that unfortunate version of Napoleon, I know a good home for it! [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 08:38 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael – My MGM print is completely silent as was their release of it.

Gerald – Sadly (for you…. and my wife) prints of Napoleon only enter my house but never leave.

Well today being the final day of my holiday vacation I treated myself to a screening of the 1981 version of NAPOLEON . (1927, 1981, 5 x 2000ft {8500ft actual} 16mm tinted and toned on low fade stock) Even though I abhor what Coppola did, this is the only version that has ever shown up on 16mm. For those who have not seen this version, it runs fast at 24fps (instead of the desired 20fps) and has the Carmine Coppola score on it which is (outside of the theme for Josephine) quite amateurish compared to the Davis score. For the Polyvision sequence at the end the image switches to anamorphic. As you can see from my pictures my little condo is not set up for a triptych, or scope for that matter so I lose the outside panels. That being said any version of this film is worth seeing as it is hands down the greatest movie ever made. Now if there was only a way to get the latest version Brownlow has screened with the Davis score I would be one VERY happy camper.

-
 -
 -

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 11:10 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Dino ! Looking good but what about the B/W you were talking about? My all time favourite B/W no sound super 8mm feature is METROPOLIS  -

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  115  116  117  118  119  120  121  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC