8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 180)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  177  178  179  180  181  182  183  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 17, 2015 03:13 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect Day Laurel & Hardy (Blackhawk)
Way Out West (Walton)
Ended our tribute show with a film I made about the L&H Museum at Ulverston some years ago.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 19, 2015 01:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Night:

The natural pairing of the Laurel and Hardy "Them Thar Hills" and then "Tit for Tat", the Boy's only sequel following the film that started all the trouble in the first place!

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2015 01:36 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Pom, Pom!'...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 19, 2015 01:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly!

I bought "Tit for Tat" first and until I got "Hills" had no idea what that line meant! (...come to think of it, I still don't!)

I did a little due diligence on this one. As someone who has a camping trailer I was kind of curious where theirs came from. I found a collector of old RVs on the 'net and sent him pictures.

-he thinks it was something they cobbled together for the movie.

You know, if you built just the first few feet of this thing: What a great projection both for the home cinema! (-especially if you included the bucket and the ladle!)

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2015 12:34 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a 1930's camping trailer at the Smithsonian Institution, that's similar to the one from the movie. This picture gives you an idea of the inside space of these vehicles. It's cramped but it manages to include: window curtains, bench seating, and a table in the middle.

A Them Thar Hills '30's style camping Trailer

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 20, 2015 11:52 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the basic idea, Mike.

-but Stan and Ollie's camper is very interesting in construction. It's actually built a lot like a street car. Maybe that's what the Props Department at Hal Roach knew how to do!

Then again the idea of dragging a small building behind a Model T Ford is kind of a daunting: they had barely enough power to move themselves!

-no wonder there was steam coming out of the radiator!

(Pardon the colorization!)

-

-

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2015 02:27 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Excellent observation Steve.

Roach understood how to make an authentic production, and save money at the same time.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2015 03:02 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I bought "Tit for Tat" first and until I got "Hills" had no idea what that line meant! (...come to think of it, I still don't!)
"There's an old spinning wheel in the parlor"
"Pom, Pom!"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 20, 2015 08:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-but since that "Pom Pom" harmony started with Stan Laurel, I think it was supposed to be his subconscious mind saying:

"There's something odd about this well water, yet I'm quite delighted!"

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 20, 2015 10:47 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In doing lots of testing on my Elmo 1200HD...I ran a Laurel & Hardy short..."Towed in a Hole".

-

[ June 25, 2015, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 20, 2015 10:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are almost a virtual tent of the Sons of the Desert with all of this Laurel and Hardy going on!

-Well, Happy 125th Birthday, Stan! (-and thanks!)

--------------------

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2015 04:12 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

Friday night I screened the marketing 3x400ft of Steve McQueen's last film "The Hunter" which I acquired from independent 8 - great sound and colour and a very good edit. Then I screened the full length print of " Silver Streak" with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor and Jill Clayburgh and Patrick Magoohan. Some slight fade but nothing too noticeable - but a cracking film .
David

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2015 04:52 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be 'Towed in a Hole'...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 22, 2015 06:36 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a long time (bloody slipped disc...), I restarted my projections. I watched a film called Strange Report. It was obviousely an episode of a British tv show that I personnally had never heard about. While respooling it on a 360 m (1200 ft) reel, I noticed red domination so I was ready for it but was nicely surprised that most of the scènes are still decently watchable. Needless to say, it was a magical moment to start my Elmo st 1200 (I was Lucky it was on my table as I cannot lift anything heavy at the moment so this projector will be the only I will be able to use for "large" reels for a while).

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 22, 2015 07:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that, Dominique!

-when your back hurts, everything hurts.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 22, 2015 07:30 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Steve !

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2015 06:32 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the Strange Report episode called Shrapnel? I have that one from Technofilm and mine is on Kodak SP so it's looking rather pink.

Best wishes for your back, hope it is better if not completely right.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 23, 2015 06:57 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Brian, it's this episode. I'm not precisely suffering from my back but from my leg as the slipped disc damaged the sciatic nerve. I may recover soon or having to wait as long as one year. The only thing to do is to rest and to take anti-inflammatories and pain killers. The frustrating side is that I'm at home with many things to do but I cannot because I I have to be careful with my movments. But at the end, I'm happy we have good doctors and a good health security system in Belgium.

--------------------
Dominique

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 23, 2015 07:02 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Shrapnel myself, colours are great, especially the red, which is overpowering the other colours :-/

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 23, 2015 05:23 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Formula. A good surprise : the first seconds of the film is red but all the rest is ok. The snow is a scene is white ! I mounted the film on a 360 meter (1200 ft) spool and I'm so glad to be able to project without break. As many, I started with a silent projector and with many 15 meters (50 ft) films. A sound projector was only a dream and I didn't even know 360 meters (1200 ft) spools existed. So, I do appreciate what I have now...

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2015 02:57 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the chat I just had to watch Shrapnel last night, like you it was in better condition than I thought. (must have been thoughts after watching the DVD)
 -
 -
Reds do predominate in the shadows.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 24, 2015 06:17 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, Brian ! I'm happy the forum inspired you to Watch this film. Tonight, I took the opportunity my Chinon 7500 was out of the cupboard to screen three 60 mt (200 ft) reels : Le pimpant dalmatien (from The 101 Dalmatians, of course), Movitone's review of 1940 and Presto. I got the Walt Disney film free from a seller on EBay (France) from who I bought several films (he added this one) so I expected a hard to sell film red or in bad condition but I was wrong : good colours and almost "new" film. I had never seen it before and I found it enjoyable.

--------------------
Dominique

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2015 05:05 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WEST AND SODA(1965), a rare(?)find! Bruno Bozzetto's 1965 feature length cartoon. I had never seen it and was pleasantly amused.
MASTER OF THE WORLD (1933),another rarity. A Thunderbird copy of an old Kodascope mute version of a german Harry Piel adventure, condenced to four reels. All about a device that makes people invincible.Silly enjoyable fun.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 25, 2015 05:26 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't quite qualify within the 8mm forum but had a look at some..
Steve the Horse cartoons as was just checking them over on 9.5, 16 and this 17.5 sound print.
Steve always brings a smile to your face!
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 25, 2015 10:16 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched my Super 8 4x400 Sound print of the Mystery of the Mary Celeste (1935) (also known as "The Phathom Ship"). This creepy movie stars Bela Lugosi. One by one the crew on a ship are getting murdered. Despite the dead bodies showing up all over the ship however ... you don't see very much actual killing. There's even one crew member that continues to play his accordion and sing while most of his shipmates are rapidly dying off around him [Smile] I love watching how melodramatic and stereotypical the acting and dialog can be in some of these old films...a fun watch!

-

[ June 25, 2015, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  177  178  179  180  181  182  183  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC