8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 90)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2011 12:48 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee I think you just sold a Novascope 9.5 film on ebay that I would have paid much more for, but it didn't allow US buyers..If you have any more Novascope titles please let me know.

Tonight I watched a couple of Snub Pollard shorts on 9.5mm, the first was called WHIRL O' THE WEST (1921, Pathex O-41, 300ft) This film proves you cannot believe all the reviews you see on imdb, since the review for this states snub is not in it..Trust me he is...He is just not wearing his familiar mustache, he is joined by Marie Mosquini and Sunshoine Sammy...Then I thought I'd add a pic of my Specto being used with the essential Roy Neil Film-O-Clean..This was followed by IT'S A JOY (1923, Pathex O-31 300ft)which features the familiar looking snub and some fun dream sequences showing behind the scenes footage on a number of movie sets.....

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2011 11:52 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I saw MAGIC SWORD again I love that film. It is a Super 8 color feature with five 400 reels. Basil Rathbone's last great performace.  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 10, 2011 03:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still recovering from the Raise the Titanic scope night but it all went off OK.Dino wasnt me with the Nova film my friend. What was the film? [Eek!]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2011 12:36 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a bunch of friends over the other night, and I can hardly believe what a lovely evening it turned into. Perhaps it was our best ever. We watched films out under the lovely August sky the way they were meant to be seen -- as a group social experience. The crowd reactions were so fun to hear, whooping, hollering, laughing, and reacting to the antics.

My equipment was inside behind a window, so this was my view towards a 70-inch old DaLite screen hung on the shed:

-

Program:
Trailer - Aladdin
"Poet and Peasant" - Andy Panda (1945)
"Studio Stoops" and "I Want My Mummy" (3 Stooges)
"A Two-Cylinder Courtship" (1917, with old Edison music recordings for accompaniment)
"Our Wife" (L&H)
"Music Box" (L&H)

Good clean fun, great time to bring people together, and classics that many haven't ever seen -- that's what this hobby is about.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 10, 2011 02:50 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"That's what this hobby is about"

Spot on Bill, thats excellent, cant think of other hobbies that you can share with others like this one.

Graham.

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey All,

Last night I had a summer showing of two Blackhawk Chaplin shorts "Getting Acquainted" (1914), "The Tramp" (1915), and Two Blackhawk Keaton shorts The "Blacksmith" (1922), and "The Balloonatic" (1923). The films were accompanied by a friend of mine on improv piano, and electric ukulele. It was very well attended by 30 plus people, and I was happy, a good amount were small kids. The room was filled with laughter by both the young and old.

This not only gave me rejuvenated faith in good old classic comedy, but the power of film! Can't wait to start my weekly film series, which kicks off in October with a Blackhawk scored Iron Horse (1924), and a Blackhawk scored and tinted "The Great Train Robbery" (1903)

[ August 11, 2011, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Bradford A Moore ]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2011 02:13 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, Bradford, you certainly topped my get-together: you had live music! Outstanding. Ever think of moving to the west coast? ;o)

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2011 04:46 PM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I showed Getting Acquainted at 24 frames per second, which seemed too fast. I had checked it out before hand at 18 frames per second, but that seemed too slow. 20 frames would have seemed more realistic. I'm surprised Blackhawk didn't adjust better when they made the print.

I have had this print since I was about 11, and back then I only had a Bell and Howell that ran at 24 frames per second. When I was that young I didn't know any better anyway. I wonder If the Blackhawk 8mm print would be better because on my Keystone, I would have more control over the speed. I wouldn't be surprised if when the made this super 8 print, if it was taken from a 8mm one anyway.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2011 10:08 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill - After looking for a location for regular film screenings with my club BUFS, I finally found one here in Berkeley. You are not very far away and I hope you can make it to some of the programs I have planned. I'm also planning on musical acts to accompany some silent programs, I have many friends (including myself) who are musicians and filmmakers or amateur projectionists. Of course, you'll see more posts from me on this thread in the following weeks once I get that started.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2011 03:37 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Gerald! I've bookmarked your blog and will keep my eyes peeled here, too.

Isn't it about time for Dino to do another Echo Park screening, too?

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2011 02:31 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee - forgive me, oh and the title was The Desert Rider w/ Jack Hoxie...man I wanted that one.... [Frown]

Bill - you are right I was just discussing that tonight, I am thinking about doing a silent film night w/ a full length feature projected on 28mm, and some 9.5mm shorts.

Speaking of the Echo Park Film Center I did take part in a really fun screening tonight. We showed Eames films at 901 Abbot Kinney Rd, which was the site of their office..The show started with digital projection of the doc 901: After 45 years of working, followed by Powers of Ten and Kaleidoscope Jazz Chair. A bit of trivia regarding Powers of Ten (This is a film that most every U.S. school kid my age saw at some point) Even though the narrator states that the picnickers are in Chicago, they were really filmed lying on the grass at 901 Abbot Kinney Rd, just behind the main building.

After the digital I stepped in and screened beautiful 16mm prints of Tocatta For Toy Trains and Tops, both from 1957. If there are any train enthusiasts who have not seen this Charles Eames classic, you have no idea of what you are missing..

It is hard to see in this pic, but to the left is the projector on a stand, and then some of the people that were there...The gracious hosts of the event were the current tenants of the building, who allowed people to enter the offices throughout the night as well.

-

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2011 11:36 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to know someone else is running Snub Pollard 9.5 Dino!

I have a few and the quality is really nice. I also have his shorts on 8mm, Super 8 and 16mm. I had new prints struck on 16mm of a few titles about 3 years back.

David

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 13, 2011 01:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonights viewing will be ...

"Two Gun Goofy" (WDHM super 8 sound)

along with ...

Vera Cruz (1953, Burt Lancaster/Gary Cooper) Super 8 optical feature.

Yippie Ki Yi Yay! ... ( I won't relate the last part of that statement, I'll leave that to Bruce Willis! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2011 11:52 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, I sure hope I can get that evening free, whenever it is you run 28mm! etc! Do keep us posted. And your on-location screening is sweet.

Last night screened "Martin Luther" (1953) under the beautiful bright moonlit sky in brighter 16mm for a good audience who appreciated the theological discourses and controversies.

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2011 07:31 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I watched on super 8, Lone Wolf McQuade, optical feature.
It has turned somewhat, but not to bad.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2011 11:28 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night (or should I say, early this morning) a mixture of genres:

TRUE GRIT(3x400')
THE WOLFMAN'S CURE (Castle 200'; from HOUSE OF DRACULA)
HOUSE OF DRACULA (Castle 200')
FRANKENSTEIN'S NEW BRAIN(Castle 200';from GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN)
FRANKENSTYMIED (Woody Woodpecker), plus assorted B&W horror trailers

Fun stuff!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2011 01:25 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to the amazing magician Martyn Stevens I have my beloved LUX YD back..It had hit a snag and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to correct it, but of course Martyn was able to find the problem and correct it...To celebrate the first film out of the newly repaired LUX was of course A VISIT TO THE PATHE FACTORY..Someday I hope to find the original of this one, as mine is the LGP re-release, which is still great...This was followed by the Raquel Meller film VIOLETTES IMPERIALES(1924, Pathe 2037,2038 12x60ft notched)

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 19, 2011 08:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been running through someone elses home movies of years past which were located in the corner of a loft and covered with dust but oh so interesting..
Last reel yet to view. [Cool]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 26, 2011 06:34 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Secret Partner 1961
MGM British
Now this is one of my favourite films in the archive and in my childhood it was on TV although I missed the start! It took me many years to get to see the complete film as I had no idea what the title was and twas only a couple of years ago I more or less fell on a print at the good old Derann film collector’s event. As we know films you are hunting for turn up when you least expect them to and this print was at a bottom of a pile of films I tripped and landed on believe it or not and how pleased was I to purchase it finally.

Secret Partner stars Stewart Granger, Bernard Lee, Haya Harareet who is rather a nice girl to look at. Stewart is on top form in this movie and the whole film is a moody black and white flick with some great shadows and flare which you will guess I love watching over and over again. It’s not available on commercial DVD so makes it an even more wonderful collector’s piece to have hold of. Needless to say it is on the top shelf and one of my prized possessions sitting happily next to Plan Nine which will please Bela no end. We are due for a moody B&W double bill shortly so it was a good time to test run it once again and a cracking film which keeps us on a seat edge. [Cool]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 28, 2011 02:59 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PLAN 9
Now that was a very good show and went along to see Plan 9 on 16mm. My goodness it was a sharp print and certainly beat any DVD hands down for image quality. It was great to see all the shadow detail which I have never had the pleasure of watching before on any other medium... Amazed [Eek!]

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2011 11:10 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was the first in series of screenings I'm putting on through the remainder of the year. Trying to host a revival for small gauge collectors isn't easy, there was only one person in attendance! Then again, I didn't really promote it that much at all hoping that word of mouth will bring in more people to future screenings.

Here were last nights films:

Bored of Education (Our Gang) Blackhawk Films
Midsummer Mush (C. Chase) Blackhawk Films
Saturday Night Fever Trailer(Badham) Marketing Film
Grease (Kleiser) Marketing Film
Animal House (Landis) Universal 8

The color is still good on the Animal House 2 x 400'. I like this version better than the thatrical release. The plot and editing are insane!

Color has also held up on the SNF trailer and the Grease cut-down, however Grease is very soft in focus, but most of the songs are there and complete.

Midsummer Mush proves that imdb can sometimes be very harsh on reviews for children's films. It features the famous "Liberty Alley", funny gags, and very good music. My son really liked it.

Bored of Education is one of the best Our Gang comedies around. This is a classic and has brought a tear to my eye on many occasions. Not last night, but other times!

It was fun to put on this screening and excited to see how the others turn out...

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2011 12:40 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald, well done. I applaud your enthusiasm and lets hope Berkeley folks do as well.... keep doing it regularly as that is probably the best plan to build up the audience..Plus programming for an audience is an art...I usually like too many obscure films to satisfy anyone but myself I think. Although you'd have to be dead not to like at least Claudette Colbert in the DeMille CLEOPATRA (1934). Today's viewing was on 16mm, and it was still light out so I got some light bleed on the screen. The show started with the behind the scenes docu entitled HOLLYWOOD YOU NEVER SEE (1934). If anyone is interested I still have my Super8 copies available for sale....This is probably my last screening before heading to the UK.

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 04, 2011 05:43 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann Tribute Shows Part 1.
Well part one of our Derann celebration programme went off without a problem and we raised a glass to Derann Films for the excellent service and entertainment we have had from them for so many years. As we approach the grey day of closing we thought it a good idea to remember the best loved films we have, along with presenting them on a range of our projectors secured over the years.

First half.
Using our trusty Eumig 1973 800 range sound projector we watched the following..
Std 8 Sound Derann Trailer Reel number 1 inc adverts
Std 8 Sound Derann Highlights: Clips from early feature issues they made

Second half.
Derann through the years..
A Super 8 feature double bill using the gs1200 wonder machine
The Fog (Scope)
That’s Entertainment feature.

The evening ended with ‘The Queen’ whereupon everyone stood, glass in hand with a few shouting Thanks Derann.
Part two of our programme is yet to come…

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 05, 2011 04:39 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part 2.
Well we completed our extravaganza showing a few trailers and just one feature which seemed to fit the bill just nicely.

The Smallest Show On Earth. 3X600
The 1957 classic as I am sure we all know features the re-opening of a very old cinema with some rather wobbly projection equipment, along with a very wobbly Peter Sellers. What a great day it was when Derann launched this release at sunny Blackpool FCC and from my fading memory I seem to remember quite a number of people lined up to buy a print. Not quite sure when this was but perhaps someone can also remember the year?

We had a good turn out of friends coming along for the shows and sharing Derann memories which was lovely. For those of you who usually watch films solo I can confirm it’s not usually the case we have a house full and often it’s just me, the dear lady with family or perhaps another local. The weekend was great fun and thankfully the equipment worked well throughout without even blowing a lamp!
[Cool]

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 05:38 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! friends last night I screed -the sound of music my favorite
musical film,this,s the full lenght in scope it looks great in my 10feet screen,i hope some of you got this lovely film,witch I
belive so...

luis caramelo

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC