8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 182)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  179  180  181  182  183  184  185  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 21, 2015 09:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The scored "You're Darn Tootin'" is one of my favorite L&Hs!

Last night? -just a bunch of silent 200 footers.

It's easy to just shove these aside and stick to the talkies, especially when you have a sound system.

-but they are great in their own right and what right do I have to complain I don't have enough films when I rarely screen about a third of the ones I do have?

(I see them rarely enough that in a few cases it was like I was watching them for the first time!)

A while back I experimented with switching the amp over to the CD player and just letting music play, but it imposed moods on the films and I didn't like that. Here and there a serious moment in the film and a happy passage in the music came together, or vice versa.

-it just seemed...wrong.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 21, 2015 03:33 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve...I've come to the conclusion it doesn't matter how you enjoy film. You don't need a top of the line projector...You don't need full-length movies....You don't need massive numbers of film reels on the shelf ... You don't need sound ... and it doesn't matter if you have Standard 8mm, Super 8mm, 16mm, 9.5mm, etc. Watching reel film is magical. Still pictures that when placed in sequence creates movement. It's wonderful!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 21, 2015 03:35 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love silents too, if they are originally silent. If it has sound, I want that stripe on it

I do prefer scored, but that's not a must.

Darn Tootin' kicking contest is funny

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2015 08:05 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of those silent 3 Stooges abridgements play surprising well with super-imposed sub-titles.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2015 06:20 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched L&H "The Fixer Uppers" a strange Walton print silent, but striped box titled as NL13 "Een Best Karweitje". Oh and it had subtitles in (I assume) Dutch. This was followed by an reel of adverts which I spent this morning getting out of the works of the projector, but I think I'll only loose about 1ft of film due to this.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 08:57 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Sunday, we had out 49th viewing in the club and we made it an almost 100% documentary evening. We did finish with a non-documentary
Battle in the Atlantic, 200' sound
 -

Pearl Harbour, 200' sound
 -

Fury in the Pacific, 400' sound
 -
 -

Blitz on Britain, 4x400' sound
 -
 -

And the non-documentary was Little Rascals in Arbor Day, 400' sound. Most people found this boring, and it's not one of their funniest by far
 -

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 23, 2015 12:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy! You were certainly running with a largely war theme with you're screenings this time. Nice screenshots as always!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 01:20 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The song alfalfa sings in arbor day always made me sad when i was young watching the little rascals. Still, i'd like to own it one day. I like the 'midgets', George and Olive Brasno on this one. They are also in 'shrimps for a day' which i have and love.
Matt
ps: Watched this today for the first time in 8mm, no sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfgrYGVHICo
We Faw Down.

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 24, 2015 06:37 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight and yesterday night, I watched home movies. The reason is that I decided to sonorise the silent ones. Beside the well identified and titled films I have, there is an amount of 15 m (50ft) spools I never put on a larger reel. So, I started with the black and white films as they are few. It brought me good souvenirs. So did the sound films as some were "forgotten". Of course these already have sound but not all of them have a title, so I will do that first for the same reason I started with the black and white films : the sound ones are not too numerous. The silent colours films will also need to be edited and that will take time.

--------------------
Dominique

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2015 07:36 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Vidar, those look like exquisite prints. Beautiful contrast.

Matthew-love that We Faw Down. Primo Laurel and Hardy. Seriously love those guys.

Last night I watched a reel out of The Gold Rush by Charlie Chaplin. Hilarious, with masterful timing. Comedy is all about timing. Well not all of it. It's also about talent, the right casting,costuming and writing. Mack Swain as Big Jim McKay is a freaking riot. The costuming also helps. Check out the costume choice for Swain-the hood shape only contributes to the overall hilarity of the scene. It's all in the details.

-

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 28, 2015 12:58 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw a couple of films the other day ... High Society, 800' which is red, but still :-)
 -
 -

Way Out West, 1200'
 -

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 28, 2015 01:56 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Same as mine that one Vidar, the Walton version. It is one of my all time favourite L&H's and one I never tire of watching again.
Classic comedy at it's very best.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 28, 2015 02:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night? Three Bugs Bunnies in honor of his wascally 75th birthday:

What's Opera, Doc? ("Kill the wabbit!, Kill the wabbit!...")
Rabbit Fire ("Rabbit Season!, Duck season!...")
Buccaneer Bunny ("I aint no Doc! I'm a Pie-rate!")

-all presented in booming monaural sound!

--------------------

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2015 04:58 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double Whoopee- Blackhawk, Standard 8mm

-

-

-

-

Funny early Laurel and Hardy with Jean Harlow (the one with the nylon stockings- pictured). Everyone in the film is a nasty ambivalent type except L&H and Jean Harlow.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 01, 2015 05:09 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laurel & Hardy silent called From Soup to Nuts on 400' ... Blackhawk print
 -
 -

Golden Boy, 400' sound
 -

and finally Raiders of the Lost Ark, 400'
 -

This has started to warp a little, any way to fix that without liquid we can't buy here? We have no access to Film Renew or Film Guard anymore in Norway. A bit sad about this, as the colours are very good in this

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 12:10 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar to fix warping try rewinding the film on the bench so it will wind tightly and try to wind it tails out and leave it that way for awhile. Rewinding on the projector makes it loose. I had a 16mm film that I always tight wind it and has pretty much fixed the warping and takes up when projecting fairly tightly.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 02:51 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, will try that.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 02:52 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, will try that.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 04, 2015 06:49 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a digest of The African Queen (1951) that I just bought from a fellow member. I have the complete film on 16mm, but this Super 8 ... although also turning... has better color and contrast. The audio lacks some low end, but the digest is well edited with no narration. This is a classic I can watch over and over again.

-

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 05, 2015 04:08 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are inspirational, Janice!

I did the first reel of my African Queen feature (1200') last night, and will do the second and last (800') tonight.

I kind of hope your digest disposed of the leech scene...I could live without that!

(Personally, I don't see them staying married, but then again they hadn't invented the mandatory sequel yet, had they?)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 05, 2015 08:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the full feature "once" not so long ago and its well worth getting the color was very good, however the sound at the beginning was a bit harsh. A feature copy came up for sale locally for $70 a couple of weeks ago....and yes the leeches are in it [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 05, 2015 10:26 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve...I hate to say...but the leech scene IS in the digest. Not one of my favorite scenes either.

-

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 05, 2015 10:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Saw it tonight myself (eww!)

As much as I enjoy a nice day out on a boat, this was no pleasure trip!

-contains one of the least romantic lines ever spoken in a movie:

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. Proceed with the execution."

I started out with Bach's Toccata and Fugue extract from Fantasia, just to clear the cobwebs out of my speakers!

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2015 03:01 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope there were stunt leeches

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2015 09:34 AM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
African Queen on eBay at moment starting price 00.99p...
African Queen

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  179  180  181  182  183  184  185  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC