8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 92)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 03, 2011 01:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Gravy! (or could that be "laughing gravy?!)

That is a magnificent print you've got there. The contrast is to die for!

You may well become one of those people that archivists will come to, to release these rarities or restore them for posterity, which makes your search for these hidden gems so important ...

... and that goes for all you other collectors that do the same!

I think I once read all nearly 50 percent (or more) of the films released before 1950 are lost or at least not known to exist. I can only imagine how important these kind of finds are!

Good work Dino!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2011 09:03 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

RON HUTCHINSON of the Vitaphone project, may be able to help.

It could be a match if perhaps he has the discs, and you have the film.

If so, then strike a deal to have a master print made with sound on film.

Vitaphone Project

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 04, 2011 08:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Delightful evening watching a great deal of nostalgia..
Skeleton Dance 1929 (Derann Derann)
Betty Boops Rise to Fame 1934 (Collectors Club with audio re-recorded from Laser Disc)
Symphony in Black 1935 (Collectors Club and a Duke Ellington classic)
World of Wax 1962 (Mountain Films)
The Invisible Ray 1936.
I just love The Invisible Ray and Bela Lugosi looked so well in it along with the great Karloff. Francis Drake looked so beautiful the screen could have melted and she paraded around the delightful sets in luxurious costumes. Frances was a mere 5ft 2 (as the song says) and surprisingly appeared in a relatively small number of films, but the few she made are great to watch with the top two for me being Invisible Ray and Hands of Orlac.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2011 01:05 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight it was all about the crime. On 16mm I watched ROAD TO THE BIG HOUSE (1947. This is far from a classic but it does star a good ole boy from the silent western days in Guinn 'Big Boy' Williams and offers many lessons about shooting a film on a zero budget. The truth is that often the films with the lowest budgets come up with the most creative ways of hiding it....This film has some interesting scenes utilizing a close up of the protagonists eyes and voice over. so simple, but it is actually effective...Oh and the reason the opening title is blurry is because the titles were rolling like end titles. It caught me by surprise

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2011 12:52 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been sick all weekend so basically was just lying around. Today I found time for the most unrelated double feature of all time....The first half of which was an early talkie featuring a couple of silent stars Lew Cody and Gilbert Roland in a lighthearted drama called A PARISIAN ROMANCE (1932)

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 10, 2011 08:30 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you are feeling much MUCH better now Dino.

Watched a number of Collectors Club classics including Tree in a Test Tube L&H, Cats Chorus, Goonland and Vampire Bat.
 -

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2011 06:46 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

Is The Tree In A Test Tube on low fade film stock,
and how is the flesh tones of The Boys?

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 12:03 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee was the original audio bad on the collector's club Betty Boops Rise to Fame 1934? or did your copy just have a glitch on it...

Oh the second half of the unusual 16mm double feature was HOWARD THE DUCK (1986)....That's right! [Big Grin] The Duck movie!...It has only grown better (and by better I mean unintentionally funnier) with age...

Then I had to remember who I was so I followed it a cineart release of a Christie comedy called CALL THE WAGON (1923, cine-art no. 521-D Code URP 800ft, orig price in 1930 $40)

It stars Neal Burns, and features a small cameo by one of my favorite Hall Room Boys' Jimmie Adams.

-

-

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 12:45 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great screen shots as usual, Dino!
Hope all is fine with you.
Ciao!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 11, 2011 04:17 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino its a Flu-Tube glitch.. [Eek!] Film & clip are fine this end.

Michael. The colour/color is not so bad and not on low fade either from low cost Collectors Club. I'll be projecting it on screen before long so will Flu-Tube a shot for you off screen. The non low fade is now a good few years old so has done quite well to hold out this long although the original L&H film was shot on 16mm Kodachrome I seem to remember.

Watched 'The Wolfman' U8 and 'The Paleface' Collectors Club with music sound track. The Wolfman print quality was astounding! [Cool]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 09:09 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lee.
[Smile]

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2011 01:49 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian .. thanks, and good to hear from you... [Smile]

Lee - Oh I was thinking more about why you re-recorded it from the laserdisc, since I only have silent Collector's club prints I was curious if the tracks were hit or miss..

OK tonight i took a little bit of a detour to get ready for projecting some rare home movies at the big Home Movie Day on Saturday (Those of you in the UK can attend HMD at the Cinema Museum)here in Los Angeles at the Academy..I dusted off my Pathescope Premier 28mm projector and ran a reel of home movies from a family in Sleepy Hollow , NY from around 1918, then I ran a short that I picked up in Harpenden that is really puzzling me. It is titled THE SULTANESS OF LOVE but I cannot find anything with that title anywhere... there are a couple of french version of La sultane de l'amour from 1908, and again 1918..I would love it if this was from the 1908 version, but given that some of the action resembles a serial such as Perils of Pauline my guess would be 1918. The puzzling part is this.. Both versions have the involvement of Louis Nalpas (He directed the early version, and his company produced the later)I think I am going to have to assume it is the later as the action would be almost unprecedented for 1908..Regardless this short film, which my version has to be incomplete, as there are no titles and it starts and ends rather abruptly, is very intriguing. As I said it falls somewhere near the action of a Pearl White serial episode, but is mixed with the eroticism of Asta Nielsens' dance in AFGRUNDEN (1910). I actually realized I may be able to figure it out by focussing on the beautiful princess [Big Grin]

In this film she is quite stunning as you can see and imdb credits show that the actress in the 1918 version is named Yvonne Sergyl who is also in a film entitled La Closerie Des Genets (1924) of which I have 3 out of 4 reels of a 9.5mm print. Guess I'll have to watch the 9.5 print very soon...

-

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2011 03:10 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino: "Road to the Big house"
I have this feature too, I bought it many years ago, but I didn´t watch it yet.
I have the original US poster and also the original poster from my native country (turkey). So I was curious about this feature and as I saw it on ebay I bought it. I watched only a part of reel 1, since many years it is in my basement. Maybe it is now time to watch the whole feature.
US Poster
turkish poster

By the way, ANN DORAN plays the mother of James Dean in Rebel without a cause

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 12, 2011 03:41 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CC sound was variable depending on the material they used and I don’t think they were tooled up for the job quite so well, but remembering they were only interested in vintage issues they were generally good enough I guess. I do like to squeeze the best from 8mm sound and dear old Betty deserved a better track Dino so I used the Digital LD which is very nice. Incidentally the mag stripe on all my CC is extremely good and I have found it to be very robust.

Another bit of audio fun to be had with some of these vintage films is to record the 9.5mm prints optical track onto the balance then you have a choice which version to listen to. Some of the 9.5 tracks are very good with some astounding lower register sounds on music and it is worth recording the optical track off them sometimes. The 9.5 film ‘Land Without Music’ has just about the best sound on the gauge so with parts of the 8mm DCR short 'Richard Tauber Sings' coming from the film its quite a plus to give the audience a choice which sound track they would like to listen to and fun. The sound was so nice I dropped the old 8mm track onto the balance just to hang onto it and recorded parts of the 9.5 optical track onto the main stripe.

Happy days!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee as always thanks for the great tips...

Oemer, thanks for the images...i have to say i like the US poster better w/ Guinn giving John Shelton that sock! I am like you and often try to find some sort of paper for the films I have... I might have to look that one up.... [Smile]

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 17, 2011 07:19 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE ELSTREE STORY 1952
This is such a fascinating documentary come celebration of the studio and films which came out of the British Studio and thankfully became available on Super 8 way back. I believe it was 3X400 but mine has been on a 1200ft reel for years and it rests quite happily on this spool size being a vintage acetate black and white print. Some of the finest British films were to be produced at this studio and this film gives a nice account of some with some great history content which keeps you interested throughout. Nice film which is worth looking out for if you like films about film, and it was distributed by Derann with my print being what must now be around 37 years old. 10/10 for content and print quality. [Cool]

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2011 12:06 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino,

I looked up Franz Toussaint ( I wonder if there is any relation to our Jean Marc?) and found that Franz, a transcriber for the film arrived in Paris in 1910 and reissued his 'The Sultan of love' through A. Delpeuch, in Paris, 1927 so this is most likely a film from 1918.
Here is a link to the transcribed page for Franz Toussaint.

I also wanted to mention that last night was my very first screening of a Clara Bow film called DANCING MOTHERS from 1926. I eagerly anticipated this film after waiting for one of hers to pop up on eBay and finally winning it. It is a Thunderbird print, complete, and in excellent shape.

When I put it up to project, I had already anticipated the print to be very soft in focus as described by others who have seen the film. To my surprise, the film was sharp and running at 24fps. And what a film it was! Clara's performance in this silent comedy/drama was worth every penny, a sure bet that this one will go into the program for my film club.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 19, 2011 12:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang! That one dude looks like a deranged Lee Van Cleef (in the Howard the Duck screenshots!) [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2011 03:22 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,
One title from the "Whoopee Comedies",THE BEAUTIES, is available in an Encore Home Video DVD titled "Crackerjack Comedies".
By the way, did you get my e-mails?

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2011 04:23 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A dark, rainy afternoon in NJ. Perfect movie weather!

I did a 16mm pre-Halloween show:

THE DEVIL & DANIEL MOUSE (1978): 1x1200'
Beautiful AFGA print of this cartoon classic about a young mouse who sells her soul to the Devil for rock & roll fame.

THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW (1979): 3x1600'
Excellent TV movie with Jeff Goldblum as Ichabod Crane.

Good condition print with some scratches, splices. Eastman stock with only slight color shift, color still good otherwise.

JUst a fun afternoon of film! [Cool]

[ October 19, 2011, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Thomas Murin, Jr. ]

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2011 11:06 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald - Thanks for the tip and welcome to the Clara Bow club....I love her...Dancing Mothers is a one of the good ones, and the super 8 print I used to have was not that far off the 16mm.

Osi - The Lee Van Cleef guy is actually the principal from Ferris Buellers'

Pan - yep got your email....sorry [Frown]

Lee - don't sell your 17.5 in Blackpool sell it to me [Big Grin]

Now I have been doing some experiments with the Bolex DA, and I do not know how I can ever go back to the other notched projectors again... I absolutely love the Bolex, so friggin bright... Tonight was a short notched comedy called School for Scandal (1923, 3 x 60ft G10129) starring a fairly young Basil Rathbone some 15 years prior to his first Sherlock Holmes appearance.It also stars a 25 year old Queenie Thomas who was making her big comeback if you can believe it, unfortunately it did not really work, mainly because the material she was working with was not always the best.

-

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2011 12:38 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
had a busy day at work cuz I found John Carpenters' first student film ....plug, plug... Hollywood Reporter

But tonight I watched the notched title SURCOUF(1926, 2 x 300ft, S 548)which stars Jean Angelo and is like a brutal Captain Blood. I was not expecting much since it was originally released as serial, but was really surprised as it contains some very powerful imagery...

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 27, 2011 11:22 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'House of Dracula' which I always think is a amazing film..

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2011 11:29 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
screened hindle wakes 1952 and holiday camp jack warner .both on 16mm owned these films for over 20 years and still as good as ever .showing white heat on sat starring james cagney

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2011 01:43 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great all super 8mm show last night!!

SHALAKO-Reel 2 from Walton Feature,Colour still good too
NORTHWEST PASSAGE-MGM 400ft-What a great condensation!
DR ZHIVAGO-MGM 400ft-More of an extended trailer,Sadly faded.
GRIP OF THE STRANGLER-Boris Karloff Mountain 4 x 400FT-Great Fun!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC