8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 94)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2011 03:43 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Dino, that print looks amazing!

I'm hoping to get my hands on a 16 mm copy of it now that I finally have machine for it!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2011 12:04 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful with a 16mm print of metropolis as many are quite dupey looking....

Today I watched an original print of one of my favorite music films on 16mm. Sadly it is faded but not totally yet so...Oddly here in the states I am surprised by how many people are not familiar with this one...BREAKING GLASS(1980, 2 x 1600ft)starring Hazel O'Connor who is still performing music regularly to this day. The movie also features backup actors such as Phil Daniels, who was in every British rebel youth movie in the 1970's, Gary Tibbs (x-Vibrators/Adam & Ants), Mark Wingett (Quadrophenia), and Jonathan Pryce as a junkie sax player. OH and a cameo by The Damneds' Rat Scabies(pictured here but uncredited in the film)It was the first film produced by infamous Dodi Fayed, and was directed by Brian Gibson who directed one of my favorite movies that is not on 16mm or Super 8 entitled STILL CRAZY

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2011 01:38 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what is the world coming too when I could not get my friend to come over to watch a classic like PSYCHO on 16mm (3 x 1600ft). Oh well his loss, my wife and I enjoyed it. Plus I noticed a few things I had never caught before...First there is an ongoing motif of the non-Norman Bates' characters being shot reflected in mirrors,perhaps to imply that they too have the potential of dual personalities, and secondly there is a similar motif whereby characters are shot completely engulfed in darkness so that you cannot see their faces.

-

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2011 06:35 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pics, Dino!
I screened my copy on s8 right today.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2011 08:50 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gino - Was it super 8 or regular 8? I watched my old Derann regular 8mm feature recently but didn't know it came out on Super 8 as well... oh, I just recalled that Classic Home Cinema may have put it out... is that where your print is from?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 27, 2011 09:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I seem to recall that Psycho was relesed as a standard 8mm sound feature many years ago, (would anyone liketo back me up on that?)

Great screenshots Dino!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2011 09:29 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to own that film on Super 8 in the future.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2011 09:53 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Osi. Psycho was one of the first Regular 8mm sound features released by Derann in the mid-60's...along with Evil of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein, and The Invisible Man. Too bad these great titles weren't released on Super 8, too. But they are still fun to have on Regular 8.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2011 01:40 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gino - Was it super 8 or regular 8?
Gian - I am guessing that Brian was directing that to both of us as he combo'd ours names [Smile]

Who put out the Super 8 version was that Derann as well?

Oh and for the record I watched a notched 9.5mm tonight called MICHEL STROGOFF (1926, Pathe baby 4 x 300ft)which highlights one of the greatest crimes in cinematic history. The main actor is Ivan Mozzhukhin, and most modern cine fans do not even recognize the name, yet in his day he was revered! Watching the 9.5 prints that i have of his films are evidence of his amazing ability. i only wish more people could be exposed to his work.

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 28, 2011 03:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking back at Dino’s Breaking Glass post that particular film holds many memories for me as it was a film I went to see at the cinema when the punk movement was massive, and a film we later rented on Betamax for one of our Friday night friends get-together. Hazel sang the songs in the flick and a friend after the viewing asked me to make a super 8 sound film of his daughter singing ‘Calls the Tune’ which we did over a weekend making a nice little keepsake for them and she will now be aged about 38. Blimey! The film was pretty much a underground film not getting a great response at the time but it did have a following as it still does today. Nice to read your post Dino.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2011 01:31 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man Lee, what a great story. I wish I knew of a copy of the film for sale. I would happily trade mine for a copy of Great Rock n Roll Swindle though [Smile]

Tonight I watched a 9.5mm Novascope short version of the Earl Foxe comedy TENNIS WIZARD (1926, 1 x 300ft) I wish I could find the 2 reel version.

-

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2011 02:41 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So tonight I saw a real Ray Harryhausen classic. I saw this film when I was about 9 years old in a Navy base theatre in of all places Italy were it took place. Twenty Million Miles to earth was the first Harryhausen movie I ever saw and I thought at the time the creature was real. I have a real nice digest 400 foot reel and it looks great with sound. Twenty Million Miles to Earth" is a superb example of 1950's sci-fi story telling and special effects at their very best. The film has so many different things to offer a sci-fi buff like myself, top notch work by genius Ray Harryhausen, wonderful on-location photography in the beautiful Eternal City Rome, and one of the best monster creations of the entire 1950's decade in the famed "Ymir" from Venus. Indeed "monster" is not really an appropiate title in this case for this visitor from beyond the stars is a creature very much in the "King Kong" mode of being a sympathetic victim of man's lack of care and understanding in bringing him out of his own environment into a strange new world he does not understand.I'm on a Ray Marathon! So check out the pictures  -  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2011 12:06 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great screenshots! Had this digest for many years and I remember it was very good quality with a lot of stop motion. The 200 foot reel has a shot of the creature in the cage from the next morning when it grew overnight. I now have a 16mm feature. Great film.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 29, 2011 01:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! Love that film. IO have that on a two feature Laserdisc set, this film and the "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" (I think that's the title) ... both harryhausen titles!

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 30, 2011 04:11 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my mobile Christmas shows are now in full flow as we transport the old light box around to various youth groups in the area and voluntarily entertain the children and adults in the run up to Chrimbo. Over the years I found the cartoons most loved seem to be Santas Workshop 1932, The Night Before Christmas 1941 and Pluto's Christmas Tree 1952. The Pluto cartoon which Derann issued complete is a super film and the kids love it. Always fun showing films out and about....
Photo off screen and right the old light box.
 -

Update: I'm wondering now how many times I have shown Pluto and his Christmas tree??? [Razz]

[ December 03, 2011, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2011 02:02 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Night getting into the Christmas Spirit I watched BEN HUR digest 400 foot real. After a prologue of the birth of Christ, the movie begins in Judea, where we meet the handsome Roman Messala, a childhood friend of Judah Ben Hur . What a opening for a movie. That still sends chills up my spine when the horns start blowing for the opening credits.Ben Hur was made back when going to an epic movie was an international event. Great spectaculars were made with real people, mind-boggling sets and casts of thousands long before digital special effects made them all obsolete. There’s no better example of those bygone days than 1959’s Ben Hur, a biblical sword-and-sandal epic that has it all including a breathtaking, absolutely real chariot race.  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2011 04:17 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi-This just came up from a reliable seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Million-Miles-Earth-1957-Super-8-SOUND-200-/160693182132?pt=US_Film&hash=item256a0f5eb4

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2011 06:37 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey thanks Larry for the tip! I will check it out even if my 400 reel is sweet there is all ways room for more Harryhausen!

--------------------

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2011 04:16 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently added many titles to my collection and thought I should share some screen-shots from these classics as I go through the boxes.

Last night I wanted to screen a nice Blackhawk print of Steamboat Bill Jr.

-

And an incomplete [Roll Eyes] print of Foolish Wives, with no opening titles and incomplete reels still, its a must see and highly recommended.

-

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2011 08:08 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight i have watched Beauty and the beast,the best Disney ever [Big Grin]
I have for you all two scenes Belle and Belle(reprise)taken with my mobile,sorry for the quality [Wink]

Belle

Belle(reprise)

Enjoy!!!

Jeroen [Smile]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2011 11:30 AM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I decided to view Tom & Jerry: The Two Musketeers. I bought this one a couple of weeks ago. This is my first Tom & Jerry that I have bought on Super 8mm. I bought this one because it was one of my favorites when I watched Tom & Jerry summer mornings. This one always stood out to me because it was the first time that I ever so Nibbles, the baby mouse that Tom adopted. I always thought he was cute and I like how he always spoke in a foreign accent or language. Anyways, this copy of The Two Mouseketeers is absolutely gorgeous, with excellent color and contrast. I have enjoyed every viewing so far.

-

- ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 05, 2011 12:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was the first one I bought as well, (regarding Tom and Jerry). I actually prefer my original MGM release of it on super 8 over the DErann printing.

Though the Derann printing is sharper, the color has a more bluish cast. The MGM printing of it was much more true to the original color scheme, though not on LPP and not as sharp. I'm happy with it.

However, I am THOROUGHLY impressed with the Derann printing of "Heavenly Puss", which is an amazing, "See I told you super 8 can rival 16MM" print. Excellent color and EXTREMELY sharp!

--------------------

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2011 02:54 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,

Firstly, I thank Lee, Allan, Steve and Paul. Their replies to my post helped get my Bolex SP-80 going. Am very happy to have joined this forum and grateful for the help I've received.

My wife and I watched College tonight, and loved it. We were happy with the print quality, especially Reel 4. While Sherlock Jr. is my favorite of Buster Keaton, this is a very good movie too.

Any feedback on the print, projection .... anything at all is greatly appreciated.

-

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2011 12:39 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay glad to hear you are up n running. Let's face it you can never go wrong with the Buster Keaton silents. Where is Davis?

Tonight I watched a film that i have wanted for ages and a seller on ebay had it listed for 15GBP for ages and I am sooooooo glad I never acted on impulse when it was that price since the seller said it was damaged towards the end, but this is one of the most damaged prints that I have ever run across. For 9.5mm that is really saying something. Nearly every perf was stressed or cracked, and the final 1/3 of the reel had extensive water damage.. That being said it was a Jimmie Adams short called A FRESH START (1920, pathescope 1 x 300ft, SB30045) and it is loaded with great gags, so now I am still looking for a print of it to replace this damaged one.

-

--------------------

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2011 01:20 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, the forum members have been very helpful in getting me going.

You can't go wrong with a Buster Keaton silent, eh? I felt very sad tonight when I put on my reels of R8 Sherlock Jr.; my wife was disheartened too. The picture was not bright enough. I was using a B&H 456A and a Keystone K-100. Was it the projectors? Was it he R8 film format? Was the film a dupe? [Roll Eyes] It didn't feel like the S8 Cops on my Bolex SP-80 at all.

Dino, you say the film was bad but your pics look superb to me.

P.S. I live in Davis, CA.

[ December 10, 2011, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Akshay Nanjangud ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC