8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 93)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2011 01:05 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark - Why only R2 of Shalako? Is yours incomplete or is that the best reel?

Tonight I finally got past the final stumbling block with Roy Neil's excellent Film-o-Clean. I was using it on almost every gauge of film I watch regularly, especially on 9.5mm films through my Specto, but could not figure out a decent way to use it on notched films....WELL that has all changed now that i have the Bolex...This projector (and the film-o-clean)keeps getting better and better..First it allowed me to watch notched films on a large screen, now it allows me to watch "CLEAN" 9.5 notched films...I'm telling everyone, even though he did not make a 9.5 version, it is the best thing that has ever happened to 9.5...Tonight I watched the Rene Clair film MYSTERY OF THE LONE CASTLE (1927, aka LA PROIE DE VENT Pathescope S594 2 x 300ft notched)

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2011 02:16 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK was the 400 foot reel Marketing films edtion. It was great and the colors were great and sound . Still holds up after 30 years. It is a very nice digest with all the top scenes. Wow what a trip to watch I love it. Check out my review of the film. The camera gave a nice flash on Karen Allen's chest .  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2011 01:44 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got my Chinon 7000 Super 8mm projector yesterday. I was so excited for it to come. Right away I took it to my dorm and took it out of the box. I plugged it in, read the directions and attached the only Film that I had, Corny Concerto. A cartoon staring Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd.

I fed it through the projector and it didn't come out the other end. So I stopped it an rewound the film. It rewound for a bit and then stopped. The film ended up breaking off at the opening fade in. I took off the cover and tried again. I watched the film feed through until it got to a certain part and ended up stopping. This is when I got stressed, I had been waiting for my projector to come and then it didn't work. I contacted the seller and he told me the Projector was dropped by the post office. I had sent him pics of what happened and he saw that a shaft near the very end of the feeding process had fell out. All I had to do was open the back and put it back into place. Then I was finally able to watch my film!

I have Corny Concerto on DVD so when I saw it on ebay I took my chance and got it for $6. It is really faded, but still enjoyable. I took it out to my lounge at night and projected the film on the wall. A bunch of guys kept coming over telling me how cool the projector was. I told them I am planning on having some screening nights once I get a few more films and they seemed very excited.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2011 02:27 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Grant! Great story and glad you liked the film I sent.

Here's to your first screening and many, many more to come!

Hip, hip, hooray [Smile]

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 10, 2011 02:58 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grant, congratulation. Don't bother with the fade. Most films will be like that anyway. Just enjoy how the flicker pictures come to your wall from a little machine. That is what always in my mind.

When financial permitted, then we can go to higher status by buying big machine and expensive films.

For now just enjoy any $2-10 films. Buy from Ebay or locate on your nearby thrift stores.

--------------------
Winbert

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2011 04:56 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should have given me that warning Before. I have spent $200 in the last week on 8mm stuff. I got 2 films The Three Little Pigs, which I got today and the Two Mouseketeer.$25 each from the UK. Also I have gotten a bunch of random cartoon ons Ebay for cheap.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2011 01:17 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grant if you email me I'll send you some shorts I don't need any longer...

Tonight was a multi gauge comedy-stravaganza...OK really it was just a couple of shorts.... I started on Super 8 with BEAUTY AND THE BUS (1933, Blackhawk 1x400ft sound)which features one of my favorites Patsy Kelly, but was softer than most Blackhawks. This was followed by GIDDAP (1925, Mountain Films 1x200ft) starring Billy Bevan in a very dupey looking short. This is my only Mountain film so I don't know if they regularly looked this bad. Then it was over to 9.5mm for a Paul Parrot comedy about baseball entitled SPORTING PAUL (1922, aka TOUCH ALL BASES, Pathescope 1 x 300ft SB766)which also features the lovely Jobyna Ralston (who stars in a number of Harold Lloyd films). David Wyatt has recently written an excellent piece about the complexities of the Charlie Chase/Paul Parrott identifications in films in issue 134 of Flickers. Apparantly there is an earlier piece by Gerald McKee in issue 25 if anyone wants to send me that issue. The final film for tonight was HOLY SMOKE (1921, Pathescope 1 x 300ft SB811) with Jimmie Adams in a non Hall Room Boys comedy made for Jack White, where the burning of a hotel is actually a very funny thing...

-

--------------------

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2011 01:43 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I showed my friend 'The Three Little Pigs' on my Super 8mm projector. His excitement made me excited for the years to come in collecting Super 8 films.

The Three Little Pigs was made by Walt Disney Productions in 1933. It is the traditional story of the three little pigs and the Big Bad Wolf. This was one of my favorite cartoon shorts to watch as a kid. I always loved being able to watch the old Silly Symphony films, but was rarely given the opportunity to because they only showed the films on late night TV. 'The Three Little Pigs is one of the best Silly Symphonies in my opinion. Winning the academy in 1934 (Best Short Subject, Cartoons). The film was made even more famous by the ever popular, 'Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf', song. Anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed the quality on the sound and image of this film. NO fade as far as I can see. So far this is my favorite of the TWO films I have! I got it from http://www.classichomecinema.co.uk/ for $25 total. Here are some pics. If any of you guys have better ways of taking screenshots let me know.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2011 04:31 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished to view my new copy of Zombie, UFA edition, with very good colors! I'm going to re-record in Italian... [Smile]

Here are sample shot taken during the projection with my HD camera, that will help me to edit the DVD version.

I hope you will enjoy it....

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[...]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 12, 2011 05:27 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grant

I'm glad you are enjoying the projector. Your screenshots of 3 Little Pigs are excellent. It looks like a nice print.

PatD

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2011 12:36 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grant,

The Three Little Pigs is a triumph for Disney, and all collectors should consider it for their collection/libraries.

It won the best cartoon short subject of 1933 and the story and song has become an imprint on our culture.

The Derann print contains the original and unaltered materials, that serves as a reference against the subsequent video re-releases.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2011 01:52 AM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pat, I am loving the projector! So are my friends!

You're totally correct Michael, The Three Little Pigs is a masterpiece.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2011 12:07 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flavio the color on the Romero film is great..I have a warming 16mm print....If only they'd struck em in LPP.....

Tonight was a Hal Roach short sort of following my last batch..This one was directed by James (Paul) Parrott and starring Lillian Rich and Stan Laurel in one of his last batch of pre-Laurel & Hardy roles...The title was ON THE FRONT PAGE (1926) was a standard 8 single 400ft reel that is excellent, but I'm not sure who released it, I'll have to look into it...

-

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2011 08:33 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a)I also have a std 8 copy with the same lettering. It is a Regent print.What do you mean by "a single 400 ft reel"? Mine is a 2x200 joined together.
b) Did you get my e-mail with the Gerald McKee article?
c) WHERE IS MY FILM ????? Have you posted it,or not yet ?!!

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2011 11:45 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dino!
I was also surprised about the colors, and couldn't imagine to find in such a way when I bought it.

Flavio

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2011 12:02 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pan
lets see - yes got the McKee article, thanks.... yes posted the film, sorry... and I meant single 400 since it was as you says already joined together with the reel 2 leader as part of the program...

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 14, 2011 12:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice print of that "3 Little Pigs". I have an old standard 8mm release of that that has remarkably resisted color fade as well, though a silent print.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2011 12:58 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since tomorrow I will be getting ready to go to Austin, Texas to do a presentation on 4.75mm, I snuck in a couple of shorts before I go...Both were Spanish released 9.5mm notched prints. The first was one of the many late era Vitagraph features released in short versions entitled THE SILENT AVENGER (1927, 1 x 300ft) starring Ranger the dog! When Ranger attacks it is surprisingly violent. He kills a bear and a bad guy..The funny thing is the pathescope title of this film is GOOD DOG..This was followed by some more Paul Parrott. This time was called TAKE THE AIR (1923, 1 x 300ft), I also have the shortened Pathex version of the film.

-

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2011 09:01 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds most exciting! Let's have a report and photos from this rarest of gauges!!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2011 01:08 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pan, one of my friends who has a DVD company called Flicker Alley video taped the whole presentation so I will edit it and post it on his blog very soon...It went really well...

OK for today it is thanksgiving here in the states so I have some down time before heading out to the family....Last night I finally got around to watching my tinted 9.5 print of METROPOLIS (1928, Pathescope 5 x 300ft SB745) which was in a word "breathtaking." I will say that some of the tinting has faded in spots but that doesn't take away from the enjoyment.. i have had prints of this film on 8/S8/16 over the years but nothing compares to the 9.5...

-

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 24, 2011 01:15 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That METROPOLIS print looks like a beauty. What length is it?

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2011 01:39 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
total of 1500 feet, 5 x 300ft reels...

--------------------

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2011 01:40 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing shots Dino...

Last night felt like another marathon of great films:

The Howdy Doody Show 600' on Super 8! Amazing and complete episode of the TV show. I'm not sure of who the distributer was.

The Adventures of Superman 600' of classic TV spots both in b&W and color featuring Stamp Day for Superman. Mind-blowing. Also an unknown distributer.

King Kong 2 x 1200' of a very nice Super 8 Thunderbird print, complete with great sound.

The 39 Steps 2 x 800' of another nice Super 8 Thunderbird print, complete a little bit soft but, some scenes looked very sharp.

Rebel Without A Cause 2 x 2000' 16mm flat print with some fade, the "chicken run" had good color, it looked like a composite.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 24, 2011 01:59 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
total of 1500 feet, 5 x 300ft reels...
I'm not familiar with 9.5. How long timewise?

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2011 11:37 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH basically a 300ft 9.5 is equal roughly to a 400ft 16mm, so it is equivalent to around 2000 ft of 16mm projected at around 18-20fps..the film clocks in around 70-75 minutes but as with other 9.5 releases they have superimposed many of the titles onto the image so it is roughly the old 1960's 82 minute version, but as with most versions of metropolis has some scenes not in others...There was an interesting article in an old issue of Flickers (#117) where someone pieced together a longer Metropolis from the various 8mm versions out there.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC