8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 91)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2011 12:20 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,
Thanks for your tips and appreciate your contribution to help others become interested in public screenings. Your screen shots are of major inspiration and hope that some people will find obscure films significantly more appealing than the latests Hollywood release in the years to come.

This weekend was the first in a series of programmed screenings. On Friday, there was again, only one person in attendance! But the bright side is that the person who was there gave me a lot of tips on how to promote around town and $10 cash from his wallet to keep doing this! I was in disbelief and thought he was going for a business card! We both saw:

42nd St. (Berkeley) Warner Bros. -- a Standard 8mm/Sound extract. The print was nice, with good focus and contrast. The sound is always out of sync on my Kodak Sound 8 but, it still works in many ways like those Americom titles with a record that ALWAYS goes out of sync. Mind-bending!

Summer of ‘42 (Mulligan) Warner Bros. -- A faded TV print, with a cyan filter, it is still watchable. I think it also added to the feel of the movie with toned down colors. I'm still looking for an LPP theatrical version, but this one will do until then. "I hope someone invades this dopey island!"

On Saturday, we doubled our audience with TWO people in the audience for:

Saturday Night Fever w/ Trailer (Badham) Marketing Film -- Still good color on this Kodak SP feature version that still has blues and reds. The scenes in the nightclub are amazing. After the film, we talked about how iconic those images remain with us. The drama in the film is a bit on the melodramatic side but, the lines are really funny. This is defiantly a repeatable film for me.

Last night on Sunday these were in the mix:

A Trip to the Moon (G. Melies) Blackhawk Films -- Good contrast, amazing music added by Blackhawk and an unforgettable curiosity!
Star Wars (G. Lucas) Ken Films -- Kodak SP version, "Yeah...We did it!"
The Empire Strikes Back (I. Kershner) Ken Films -- Kodak SP, Nothing like the Imperial AT AT Walkers going down in flames! Enough said.

I planned on screening Footlight Parade at 4:30 on the same day and had six people in attendance leave after "Empire". [Roll Eyes] I stuck around until 4:45 and when nobody showed up, I went home to have dinner with my family. This is a great film, one of my favorites and I should reschedule for an evening show later into the year.

I finished the night with more Sound 8mm that I got from another forum member.

-This is Baseball (Castle Films)
-The Tell Tale Heart (Animated with narration by James Mason)
- and several Hollywood variety shorts.

A fun weekend overall!

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

|  IP: Logged

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2011 11:19 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm "Make Way for Tomorrow" and a TV show from the 1950's Dick Powell in "The Return".

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 11, 2011 09:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In recognition of Derann on their last day I decided to take a step back to when I first dealt with them in 2002.

-I used my first sound projector, a Bolex SP-80 Special (2002) intead of one of my Elmos (2003 and later).
-I used the tripod screen my Dad once used for slides (1975) instead of my 16:9 wall mount (2005).
-I played through the internal speaker instead of my 4 speaker sound system (2010).
-I projected the 'scope flim squished intead of using the anamorphic (2004).
-I used the den where I first showed films before I bought the new screen and planted my flag in the living room (2005)
-I even found the snack table I projected from back then!

The films were my first three Derann prints (2002):

-Tifield Thunderbolt 400' Cutdown: Bought used off the Derann list on a laptop in a hotel room up in Boston. It was the print I used to show my family this "new" wonder: Super-8 with sound! (-first time for all of us.)

-Sounds of Arizona: ('Scope) bought new because I used to work in Tucson and loved it there,

-Vienna: Bought new because we went there for our 10th Anniversary the summer before.

The machine still works beautifully, and other than the Fellers in Sounds of Arizona sitting a might too tall in the saddle without the Sankor out front the prints are wonderful.

It took me back to the beginning of an adventure I've had because Derann was there to start me off. Without them it might still be silents on the Moviedeck! (-or some other hobby altogether...)

PS: My son (2002) walked down the stairs and asked "What are you doing down here?" (Guess it's been a while...)

My next project is to build a cable to connect the Bolex up to the sound system. It's a good machine: it deserves more screen time.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2011 10:21 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Cool.

[Cool]

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 11, 2011 10:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-and a cool thousandth post for you, Mike!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2011 10:43 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome.

I'm batting a thousand,
-or just plain batty.

Thanks in bringing that to my attention.
[Smile]

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2011 12:28 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well now that I am back in the states I guess it is time to start watching some of the films from my recent haul....The night started with me fiddling with a new Bolex DA, but it will be awhile before I can watch stuff on it, so it was the trusty Specto. The first one tonight was called [b]FURS AND FEATHERS{/b] (1 x 60ft, Pathescope 30098), which was the animal bits from an Educational comedy. This was followed by my first tinted pathescope title called ARABIAN NIGHTS (3 x 300ft, 1921). The print was splicey, but there was some quite nice photography

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2011 01:15 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm narrated version of Mary Queen Of Tots...I ran it through an RCA TP-66 and watched it on the monitor. Be warned that the narration is weird! The film has VS but played ok until it lost the loop right at the ending.

http://youtu.be/afb5hyDjI1w

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 15, 2011 04:14 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the Eumig on again and still going strong!

'SUPERMAN' 1978. Amazing to see the colour has held up so well on this and a nice little 200ft reel.

'STAR WARS' 1977. Bit faded now but holds lots of memories as we rushed out of school to see it with the cinema full but they let us stand at the back....for 2 hours!!
I seem to remember the 200ft issue was available within days of the film opening and the 400ft a little later. I do like the 200ft reel as it is so full of action and here we are years later, the old 70's Eumig is still going as is the film first time run on it way back then. [Cool]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2011 12:15 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just had time for one tonight on 9.5mm.
a comedy short featuring Lloyd Hamilton entitled THE SIMP (1920, SB 30042 1 x 300ft)

-

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 16, 2011 11:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Made it through Another Week" Film Festival

-Train For Christmas (Derann)
-Busy Bodies (Blackhawk)
-White Pass and Yukon (Blackhawk)
-Railway of the Rheidol Valley(Derann)

Somehow I mixed railways of 3 different gauges on three different continents with Stan and Ollie doing their best to destroy a lumber yard (-and sawing a Model T in half...).

-this is what happens when you just walk up to the shelves and grab whatever looks good!

--------------------

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2011 01:24 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This weekend, my film club is having a look at three Woody Allen films. For my girlfriends birthday last night we had: Play It Again, Sam on 16mm. This is one of my favorites directed by Herbert Ross. After that screening, she requested more mystery films on Super 8 at home with the family. We screened:

Superman: The Mad Scientist (Niles Film Prod.) -- This 200' short still has strong, fair color and good sound.
Pigskin Palooka (Blackhawk Films) -- Our Gang at their best. Great sound and contrast in this 200' short is highly recommended.
The Vagabond (Blackhawk Films) -- One of our favorite scored Chaplin Mutuals...sort of a drama, mostly genius.

Tonight and tomorrow we have more Woody Allen with Interiors and Take the Money and Run on 16mm. This time we got a little publicity in a local online newspaper, which helped bring in a couple of people last night!

--------------------

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2011 11:54 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, the Dive-In Movies on Glenwood offered:

An all Scope program:

Trailers:
"Ice Station Zebra"
"Mutiny On The Bounty"
"The Spy Who Loved Me"
"The Sound Of Music"

Cartoon: "Jerry And The Egg" (Tom & Jerry)

Feature: "There's No Business Like Show Business" (Derann print, re-recorded in stereo by Lance A.)

We had around 40 guests this evening... a great time!

Come join us.!!!!!!

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2011 02:23 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Greg,

I have to work on the possibility of a "Drive-In" of 'Bike-In" for my screenings out here in the Bay Area. In the meantime, it's indoors for now and last night as promised was Interiors by Woody Allen on 16mm with photography by Gordon Willis.

Back home and later in the evening, we had more films on Super 8. An unexpected box of films showed up after waiting for many months. We were still very excited to see many of the titles inside. Thanks to forum member David Ullom for completing this order -- it was a big one. We had a friend over last night and she picked them all. We screened:

The Cat Concerto 200' Tom and Jerry cartoon from MGM, so not the best color but, a very funny one. It won the 1947 Oscar for Best Short Subject.

An Evening with the Lady and the Tramp 200' Disney excerpt from the film features two very cute dogs finding love. The short still had good color.

The Prince and the Dragon This 200' Disney short is one of the best excerpts around. If you can find it with good color, you'll never forget it.

Popeye Meets Sinbad the Sailor 400' print from Niles Film Prod. still has fair color and good sound. I wish I had more of them on Super 8.

Escape from Astragard 200' excerpt from Island at the Top of the World has very good color on Fuji film stock. It is also adapted scope with great special effects. Highly recommended.

Fame This 2 x 400 MGM digest works very well with great music and a terrific cast. There are many amazing surprises in this one, also highly recommended.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show At the stroke of midnight, this went on and I have to say it is one of the best digests I've seen. More on this 400' version from 20th Century Fox later, in 8mm reviews.

North by Northwest Always leave them with a cliffhanger! The 400' MGM digest has many great sequences from the Hitchcock classic. It still has good color, a great cast, and good editing.

It was a long night but, very exciting to see many of these titles for the first time.

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2011 12:20 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a crappy day at work so even though I didn't really have time for film when I got home I made time...Last week i watched one of the films I picked up in Harpenden featuring Nicolas Rimsky, so I figured I would watch the other one THE PORTER AT MAXIM'S (aka Le chasseur de chez Maxim's, 1927 Pathescope S628) This one was a drama with some humor thrown in and was originally a notched title that had its titles masterfully redone as running titles by the Croyden Vintage Filmatheque..

-

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 27, 2011 09:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I envy your collection, Dino! ThanX 4 those screenshots!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2011 01:20 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi, but I bet I have one film that I am planning on watching very soon, that no one but me would envy.. [Smile]

Tonight took a break for some Super 8. First up is a hidden gem that I think Collector's Club may have put out since it has what looks' like their main title font...It is called HOUSE OF EVIL with Pearl White and it is a 200 footer with the most footage ever released from the serial THE LIGHTNING RAIDER (1919). It seems to be one of the 2 reels from EP 11, which is much more than what was included in the Blackhawk release..This was followed by the universal 8 sound 400 foot digest for Sssss (1973) which as you can see is very faded, but still fun and creepy.

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 28, 2011 04:04 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino great to see you have watched Sssss or is it SSssssss? Used to watch that one loads at our weekly shows in the 80's and is was funny in as much that our audience used to sit there going 'ssssss' throughout it. [Cool]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 28, 2011 06:08 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's a digest it's actually just "Ss".

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 28, 2011 09:42 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
The Trailer: http://youtu.be/MnasfM3UtDc

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2011 05:58 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee you are right I needed a few more s's.....The funny thing is that the same sound is often heard at silent films whenever the villain comes on screen, the audience does a collective "Ssssss" [Big Grin]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 28, 2011 09:08 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

-It's kinda like "Snakes on a Plane"

without (you know)...the plane.

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 01:08 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snakes on a plane if Samual jackson was one of the snakes. [Big Grin]

Tonight was one of the few Hal Roach directed Eddie Boland comedies to be found on 9.5mm. Fired up the LUX for tonights' viewing. This one was called THE WONDERFUL LAMP (aka Alias Aladdin, 1920, pathescope S692 1 x 300ft notched)

-

--------------------

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 03:14 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened my new copy of "The Gold Rush" 1925. It was my first time watching it. It was quite good! Very enjoyable, especially on super 8!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2011 12:30 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On friday I obtained 18 reels of the rarest of the rare 9.5mm films. Some of these are so rare I have never seen any record of them anywhere such as this one. SOME BABIES (1930, Pathe 2 x 300ft sound on disc title). The sad thing is I only have the films and not the discs so I am still on the hunt for the second half of the rarest of the rare....

-

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC