No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night I watched a beautiful Derran print of Disney's Sword In The Stone.

Comment

• Last night it was a '70s 'Disaster' movie night:

Airport - 400' (still quite good colour)
      Airport '75 - 400' (some fade)
      Jaws - 2x400' (some fade)

Watching with my newly acquired gel-filters that worked really well, so I was very pleased 😊

From my youth, I remember 'Airport' being the beginning of the 'disaster-movie' trend starting in 1970 🤔

Comment

• Comment

• I bought "Airport 75" when it came out, always considered it one of the best edited Universal 8 films. I sold it many moons ago, however I think that digest was also released in Scope but have never seen it. I did come across "Airport" of late, and found the print to be, not to bad fade wise

Comment

• Ali

I put this up on you-tube last year on "Airport" it would be nice to think there are better copies color wise out there than this one. however its still not to bad

Comment

• Graham, my copy of Airport had pretty good colour, to the extent that the filter didn't really improve it as much as it did with Airport '75.

They were both good well edited versions, especially Airport, which pretty much told the whole story - it was just a pity that they couldn't have included a minute's footage from the scene where Joe Patroni (George Kennedy) was battling to move a stationary plane stuck in the snow on the same runway that the damaged plane was coming in to land on, a great scene!

On a similar note, I meant to say that the edit of Jaws was really good too - however, with a total running-time of only 31.5mins, I think another 3.5mins added to include another 3-4 scenes (such as say, the Dreyfus 'dive' scene etc) would have been nice.

Or better still, a 3x400' mini-feature (like say The Towering Inferno) it certainly would have warranted that extra reel given the popularity of the film the world over!

But I presume that Universal 8 were limited on how long an extract they could release??

Comment

• Hi Ali

That scene you talk about when they are about to give up moving the stuck 707 would have been a great edition. If Universal 8 had increased both Airport and Airport 75 that would have been good, say 600ft . I always thought there 400 footers were a bit short on the running time. Even though Universal 8 did release 2/400ft digest films, even they tend to be a bit short as well, considering what we paid for then new at the time it would have been nice to fill those 400ft reels a bit more.

With "Jaws" it would have been better to offer, as you say a 3/400ft version, I think both in a "full frame" format without those black bars top and bottom, and in Scope as well

Comment

• I found quite a few of the 2x400ft digests would fit on a 600ft spool. I even have one 3x400ft one that (just) fits on an 800ft one.

Comment

• Graham - back in the day those titles released on Super8 of fairly current titles used to cost about £30-£40 for a 400' Col/Snd reel - that's the equivalent of £133-£177 in today's money, for a 16-18min extract 😲 So both the Jaws extracts would cost £300+..... bearing in mind the DVD cost just a few quid, anyone not in the hobby would think that we collectors must be completely mad! 😉

Brian - when I was first collecting, I often found the same. Back then and indeed now, I get rather obsessed with the length of the running time of especially 400' and 2 x 400' titles - if a 400' reel runs for less than say 17mins then I still feel a bit cheated, silly I know 🙄

Comment

• Btw - Gone With The Wind would cost about £1900 today! 😲

Comment

• Ukelele man 200ft and probably my oldest s8 Derann 200ft from the 70s. Cant help but get a bit sentimental about it.

Then watched Spare a Copper 400ft and recalled when Ton Photqu off the old forum gave comments on GF in Ask a policeman looked dark. But this was Formby classic Spare a Copper not the a Will Hay film. These experts!

Ended with some Kodachrome of George's Norton bike I filmed in the 80s and a visit to his house in the north west uk.

Comment

• Back to Airport for a moment.....Universal 8 also released that digest in scope without the black masking found in the Cineavision U-8 scope films. The color has held up well on that one.

Comment

• Douglas Meltzer Very nice print!

Comment

• That's a good looking print Doug.

Although the colours on my digest aren't that good they were surprisingly good and to the extent that using a filter didn't improve them significantly, whereas they did for my digest of Airport '75.

Comment

• Just thinking Doug, the Widescreen did have a few Scope digests, was this one on them? what year did Universal 8 release it in Scope?

Ali I agree, I myself used to get obsessed by how much film was on a reel, as they were expensive.

You mention quote...."anyone not in the hobby would think that we collectors must be completely mad" you are right

Comment

Working...
                                X