No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas time is kind of a big deal film-wise around here. Usually the week between Christmas and New Year's is night after night of film shows and the maximum compliment of gauges and machines. We got a late start starting last night, but we had a great show!

Silent Night (16mm, Castle Films, 1949, the shortest 16mm film I've ever seen!)
    The Small One (S8, Derann)
    White Pass and Yukon (S8, one of my own)
    Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Concert (Projected DVD)

White Pass and Yukon is two cartridges of 100D I shot when we stopped off in Skagway, Alaska on our cruise this summer and rode the White Pass and Yukon narrow gauge railroad up into the mountains. It was a hot July and August, so I held off sending it for processing until October. I spliced the two rolls on a 200 Foot reel and set it aside. Before last night, nobody saw all of the footage including me! It is a nice piece of film: all the footage came out well. Maybe some time when I have a partial cartridge I'll do some titling and finish the story it's telling.

White Pass and Yukon Railroad!

Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Concert is a DVD we had for years before my wife gave me a VP one Christmas. It's 10 times the show on a big screen with a nice audio system that it is on a TV screen, so these past few years it's become a tradition!

Mannheim Steamroller Christmas

Comment

• December 31, 2022

Happy New Year everyone!.

My annual list of 8mm (and others) for all of 2022 begins below.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	370
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	71907

Comment

• We watched Zulu full length on Super 8 scope.

Comment

• Tonight we are watching ‘The Towering Inferno’ scope followed by ‘The Outlaw Josey Wales’ also Scope Super 8.
          a great double bill and cracking prints.

Comment

• Phil,

Could you please tell us more about these prints? Details would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Recently The General, Buster Keaton, Collectors Club 7x200ft on 3M B7W stock, bought at Blackpool last year. 200ft The Hunchback of Notre Damme B7W also from Blackpool. Super 8 "June is Bustin' Out all Over" Derann, Rollercoaster Ride, Widescreen centre and Shakespeare 400, Derann all 'scope.

Comment

• Phil, I didn't know these existed as super 8 prints. We're these digests or features? The only thing I have ever seen of Josey Wales was a 200ft making of featurette.

Comment

• For once, last night my audience wasn't my wife (she was away baby sitting) but a really good friend of mine who used to collect super 8 digests in its hey day of the 1970's and early 80's. Sadly he sold all his equipment years ago but still appreciates celluloid film and the big screen.
                  We are both wrestling fans. Not this modern day WWF stuff, but the ITV 4 o'clock Saturday afternoon "old" type wrestling with Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks and the like, so I managed to include several old wrestling films in my presentation from the likes of "Judo" Al Hayes and The Wild Man of Borneo, plus some "classic" film digests that we both used to watch all those years ago that I know were his favourites.

Some of the stuff was on 16mm but most on super 8, but am listing them ALL here and not on the 16mm thread.

So, our mega evening went like this........

16mm first

Ringside Wrestlers - 1x 900' - A couple of bouts in Hollywood from around 1964

Raslin' Rockets - 1x 400' - Another wrestling film from Wildwood, New Jersey around the same time. Both these were the "old" style, not WWF.

Bat's in The Belfry - 1x 200' Woody Woodpecker cartoon

Super 8mm

We're Wrestling Tonight - 1x 400' - Tag Match featuring "Judo" Al Hayes and Hardboiled Haggerty v Wild Man of Borneo and Rebel Ray Hunter

The Wrestling Game - 1x 400' Presented more like a documentary on the various holds / positions in wrestling, plus a short bout.

Crazy Wrestling - 1x 200' Walton's mad reel including bouts underwater, mud wrestling, women wrestling, wrestling in a ring of fish, men of restricted growth bouts and even referee's getting knocked out. Completely loopy !!! (good fun, though).

Horror Film 1x 400' - This is reel 2 of what I think is "Scars of Dracula" but neither of us can definitely confirm it. My friend is into his horror but still couldn't say for certain what it was. Christopher Lee and Patrick Troughton.

Clint Eastwood Trailer Reel - 1x 400' - The Gauntlet / Magnum Force / A Fistful of Dollars / The Enforcer / Thunderbolt and Lightfoot / Two Mules For Sister Sara / Joe Kidd

The Outlaw Josey Wales - 1x 200' - A behind the scenes documentary of the making of the film.

The Eiger Sanction - 1x 400' - Clint Eastwood / George Kennedy. Terrific edit.

Phantasm - 1x 400' - Mike Baldwin / Angus Scrimm horror.

Castle of Death - 1x200' - Walton's extract from "Vampire Circus" with Laurence Payne

Twins of Evil - 1x 200' - Peter Cushing. The 200' extracts of these last two are simply magnificent in my opinion.

So there we are. Quite a long and enjoyable night. As we say in Hull.... " It's was a long 'un, and a gud 'un !"

Comment

• Yesterday the two part sot The Elephant Man I bought cheap from Derann as they were B&W prints on Agfa colour stock with "slight tints". Part one which could pass for B&W as the blue is very slight and part 3 which though described as "Yellow" is more of an pleasing "Victorian" sepia.

Comment

• "Vickers Aviation" 1/400ft B/W on B/W film stock, bought new from Derann, Vickers Aviation was a previous DCR release. A comprehensive and dramatic record of over 50 years of achievement from the Vickers Corporation.

Very interesting, its a film I enjoy watching every so often, tonight was one of them using the GS1200. Print quality and sound is not bad, considering the age of some of the source material.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20230115_151915.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	72688 Full steam ahead!
                        Nice long show using one of my HID Eumigs all standard 8 film features.

Dracula feature, Something Creeping in the Dark 1971 and Old Mother Riley Meets the vampire.
                        The one which is a little unique is Something creeping in the dark which if memory serves me right was the last Standard 8 feature from Derann.
                        Ended with the Queens coronation in Colour.

Planning a Northern Film Day for this year where we hear Northern dialect, stories of old and vintage films on screen. Oh and Northern food better not forget that. Report back later this year..

​​​

Last edited by Lee Mannering; January 15, 2023, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• It was just super 8 tonight after my last outing of an 8mm/16mm mix. And the audience shrank 50%. Yep ! Just L'il Ole Me !!!!

I enjoyed......

Oliver Twist Trl - 1x 50' - The 1948 version (see below)

Great Expectations Trl 1x 50' - Both from Charles Dickens novels.

West Side Story Trl - 1x 100' - A faded letterbox version. Far far inferior to the quality of my full length feature.

Oliver Twist - 6x 400' - The full length version of the David Lean / Charles Dickens classic with Alec Guinness as Fagin and Robert Newton as Bill Sykes.

The March of The Movies - 1x 600' although looks more like 400' - Excerpts from classic films of the silent era. A sound film with narration and music.

Hollywood Dream Factory - 1x 600' - Excerpts from films from Hollywood's hey day which also included an auction of film props including Dorothy's red slippers, and the Showboat !

Comment

• Hi Melvin

Good line up of films there. I once had the David Lean feature of the 1948 "Oliver Twist". If I remember right, like "Great Expectations" another long, but well done classic David Lean film from 1946 I have been thinking of screening again it of late, as its been many years since the last one, its still on 2/1200ft Elmo reels. If I remember right, both films were released by DCR. I always thought in general DCR produced good quality B/W Super8 prints.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                              If I remember right, both films were released by DCR. I always thought in general DCR produced good quality B/W Super8 prints.

Graham - Yes, you are correct. D.C.R. Films of Sandown, Isle of Wight, UK. It was pretty good quality, but must admit the focus just a touch soft. I found I was frequently re-adjusting it. But, nevertheless, one worth having. Very bleak and dark version compared to the Carol Reed musical.
                              You may be interested to know that the 6x 400' version of Great Expectations is parked next to Oliver Twist on my film shelf !

Comment

• Blood of the Vampire vintage Derann but still a great movie. I've run this so many times since 1980 the sound stripe is very thin indeed now. All good things seem to come to a end.
                                1958 movie written by Jimmy Sangster.
                                They also did a 400ft reel version as well.

A welcome addition to partner the S8 is the new blu-ray which is packout with stacks of interesting extras. Some of you may remember the BBC showing the film three decades ago with doctor terror introducing it. They have even included that!

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
                                ​​​​​​​

image widget
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X