No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After watching John Clancey's review of the 4k and super 8 cut down I watched "Silent Running" a little pink/orange in some scenes but the lighter ones are pretty good for its age. No edge markings so I can't say what stock it is on.

Comment

• Brian, my U-8 400 footer still has some color but the 16mm digest is completely red. This is a another great review segment by John.

Last night I watched two German cutdowns from Super 8 Warehouse that I'll be re-recording.

Rebus (Appointment in Beirut) - 2x400' CMV Film. 1969 crime caper starring Laurence Harvey & Ann-Margaret. I know very little about CMV, does anyone have some info?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rebus covers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	277.2 KB ID:	73337

Golden Needles (1974) - 2x400' UFA. Action film with Joe Don Baker & Elizabeth Ashley.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Golden Needles covers.jpg Views:	0 Size:	331.2 KB ID:	73338

Nice color on both!

Comment

• I finally got round to watching the last 2 reels of The Elstree Story (the last one's sound is at low level but does have the DFS Deran logo as a playout0 then the short Cinema Cinema, just to check the low sound wasn't due to dirty heads.

Comment

• 2x400' UFA release of Das Geheimnis Der Grünen​ Hornisse (The Mystery of the Green Hornet).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Green Hornet Cover.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.3 KB ID:	73844

This is the 1974 Green Hornet movie that was released in theaters to capitalize on Bruce Lee's popularity. The cutdown consists of two Hornet TV episodes The Hunters and the Hunted and The Preying Mantis.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 9.22.31 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	73846 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 9.23.51 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	73845 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 9.24.50 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	73847

Comment

• This is so cool Doug! What a great film to have in your collection. I've always been a big Bruce Lee fan.

Comment

• Three Stooges “Men In Black” (after cleaning with FilmGuard…the print was absolutely filthy!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	EA64156B-D3C5-483A-A48D-EC0ABF62EB8E.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	73866

Comment

• Last night after the blu-ray I still had a bit of time to spare so thought I would run one very full reel of Super8 shorts, nine to be exact. Starting with Tweety Pie then onto two excellent shorts I had bought new, way back in the 1970s sometime from Castle films before they became U8, Egg Cracker Suite and Barber Of Saville, although both now have slight fade, they are still in pretty good condition. Next was Walton "The Two Mouseketeers' also bought new sometime in the 1970s. The color is "perfect" no change I can see in the last 40 years or so, it really is a stunning color print. The next two being "The Dwarfs Dilemma" and "I Wan'na Be Like You" have faded a little bit, but still great Disney extracts to watch. The last three on this reel are "His Mouse Friday" nice color print, followed by "Three For Breakfast" finishing with "Cat Napping"

Took this photo last night just before starting the above reel.

Name:	P1320395.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	73924

Name:	donald-film.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	73925

Name:	16266335_688627847974857_3651996999151005488_n.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	73926

Comment

• After my recent screening of David Lean's Oliver Twist, I thought for tonight I would stick to the same director.

So...... the list was.....

Oliver Twist / Great Expectations Trailer - 1x 100' - Double David Lean films.

Father of The Bride Trailer 1x 50' - Steve Martin / Diane Kean

4x Adverts - 1x 75' - 1) Hovis Bread "The Runaway," (was that the one that Ridley Scott was behind ?) 2) Arctic Lite Beer 3) Pepsi 4) Vodka "Ask in Russchian"

Great Expectations - 6x 400' - The David Lean classic with Sir John Mills.

Comment

• I don't know what people called it but the Hovis advert Ridley Scott definitely directed is the one where the boy pushes the delivery bike up a steep hill to the music "Coming Home" from the New World symphony..

Comment

• Comment

• Brian / Graham - I think I may have that one on an advert reel somewhere. I will try to dig it out sometime.

Comment

• Last nigh an odd compilation I bought at an event a couple of years ago - the 1x400ft version of 1941 on a 600ft spool with the Tom & Jerry cartoon Casanova Cat. 1941 was a bit scratched and very red in dark scenes, it was odd seeing a red cinema interior with excepts from Dumbo on screen looking the right colours and the end seemed better. the Tom & Jerry was a Walton print on late Fuji (no scratches) and great colour, on its own it would be worth the price I paid for both.

Comment

• This evenings viewing in the Man Cave went like this......

War of The Worlds - 1x 50' - Trailer to the earlier version.

A Bug's Life - 1x 50' - Trailer to the Pixar / Disney classic.

Warner Bros 25th Anniversary - 1x 200' - A celebration of the first 25 years of this legendary film company.

That's Dancing - 5x 400' - excellent compilation of film extracts from the year zero up to the 1980's incl. Flashdance / Fame and Michael Jackson.

Comment

• Another Saturday night in my favorite place with my favorite piece of machinery.

Tonight's menu looked like this....

Help! 1x 50' - Trailer to The Beatles film.

FA Cup Final 1972 - 1x 200' b&w - Leeds United v Arsenal, with the result of.... Allan Clarke 1 Arsenal 0 ! Must treat myself to a colour copy of this film one fine day!

Adverts - 1x 200' - Including Walkers Crisps, Levi Jeans, The Hillman Imp car and Treats (sweets)

Dracula - 2x 400' - The Frank Langella version. This one must have slipped the net when I purchased it a year or two back. I had re-housed it in a new CHC 600' cardboard cover, (it fits tightly on a 600' spool - just), but when I watched it, I realized I hadn't actually seen it before. A really REALLY good edit considering I have not seen the full length movie. Great stuff.

The Happiest Days of Your Life - 5x 400' B&W - In complete contrast to Dracula, a fun school comedy with Alistair Sim and Margaret Rutherford. Not Quite up to St.Trinians standard but still enjoyable.

Comment

• Melvin,

I agree, the Dracula 2x400 is one of U-8's better edits.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9609.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.7 KB ID:	75888

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9610.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.4 KB ID:	75889

I watched the UFA 3x400' release of City on Fire, a 1979 disaster movie with Henry Fonda, Barry Newman, Ava Gardner & Shelley Winters.

It's a letterboxed print, a decent edit and has very good color.

Click image for larger version  Name:	City On Fire - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	75893 Click image for larger version  Name:	City On Fire Still003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.4 KB ID:	75895 Click image for larger version  Name:	City On Fire.Still004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	75892 Click image for larger version  Name:	City On Fire Still006.jpg Views:	6 Size:	40.4 KB ID:	75890
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	City On Fire till007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	75894 Click image for larger version  Name:	City On FireStill009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	75891

Comment

Working...
                                X