No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay! Found the box with two of my projectors! We watched my last acquisition before leaving Mountain Home, Idaho. It's a 400ft reel of two Dastardly and Muttly cartoons, a guilty pleasure of mine from my childhood. Great color, lots of lines, but fun!

Comment

• MGM 400ft extracts of King Solomon's Mines (a bit faded but all colours there) and the two "songs from" Singin' in the Rain reels with better colour but a bit pale.

Comment

• Tonight one very full Elmo 800ft reel...

All films except for "The Old Mill" came from Derann and as such, are still stunning color prints to watch

1....Bottles 1936.
        2....Mother Goose Goes To Hollywood 1938.
        3....The Grasshopper and the Ants 1934.
        4....The Ugly Duckling 1939.
        5....The Old Mill 1937.

Comment

• THE TERMINATOR… The James Cameron classic which needs no description. A great Derann print and a phantastic sunday screening.

Comment

• After seeing that the full 5x400ft version of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is on Ebay for £2,900 I watched the only part I have (the last half hour) which I bought at a BFCC many years ago for £5. That is from the full feature too as the tail has "End part 5" on it, Buck Labs, but now a little pink/brown in the shadows.

Comment

• Just finished screening a full 1200ft reel of Fantasia extracts in hopefully the right order

The print quality and sound of them all is really good, in particular the color the only extract showing a little fade is The Sorcerer's Apprentice but still pretty good.

I find that if I want to chill out then Fantasia has always been my choice.

1...Fantasia trl its quite long.
              2....The Nutcracker Suite.
              3....The Sorcerer's Apprentice.
              4....Soundtrack Demo.
              5.....The Pastoral Symphony.
              6.....Dance Of The Hours.
              7....Night On Bald Mountain finishing with Ave Maria.

A couple of photos taken tonight.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	P1310012.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	67301

Name:	P1310011.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	67302

Name:	P1310013.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	67303

Name:	P1310015.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	67304

Comment

• Un chien andalou (1928), bought two days ago at the Big Screen Time Revival. As written elsewhere, I have looking for this title for years. The copy I bought not only has a sound track but also the tittle and the intertiles in French (with English subtitles), so that was a plus. After this film, I hesitated between projecting the Christmas trl 3 (new copy) bought from Lee Mannering now or waiting until Christmas but I didn't resist. I could summarize by : waw ! I love this release. The colours are fantastic. I'm still waiting for the number 2 of this serie. It has been sent from the US several weeks ago, so I keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

• Finished tonight with another screening of a Elmo 800ft reel.

1...Found a 2Oth Century Fox fanfare so placed it on the front. If I remember right you could buy them from Derann, this is one of them, excellent picture and sound, its a great intro.
                  2..."Gone Nutty" stunning color print and excellent stereo sound
                  3...."For The Birds" again another stunning color print and stereo sound.
                  4....This one is just right for Christmas, "Madagascar Penguins" excellent picture and stereo sound.
                  5.... And lastly Wallace and Gromit in "A Grand Day Out" excellent picture and mono sound.

I have the GS1200 and external sound system set up for both stereo or mono sound always coming out of both left and right speakers from the External amp, it works well when both stereo and mono prints are on the same reel. I might one day do a track one to track 2 transfer on mono prints, that way I could just leave the projector switch in stereo all the time.

Comment

• Tis the month of Halloween so Bela Lugosi time!

Ghost of Frankenstein Bela's best work for me and a great 3X600 feature.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DwSC05633.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.0 KB ID:	67372

Thanks Dom for the kind words about Christmas Trailer reel 3. I have received nothing but positive feedback from those who jumped into the project, many appreciating the artwork and special extras in the actual film so thank you again those who were good enough to support we made the magic happen :-)
                    A few new prints left which will have gone by Christmas I am sure. Next project already underway....
                    Last edited by Lee Mannering; October 19, 2022, 04:15 AM.

Comment

• A bit of a blast from the past tonight with three "Look at Life" films on one single Eumig 600ft reel.

1...."Village Of Violins" 1960 I bought this new back in the 1970s, its faded a little bit, but still makes the grade. A most interesting short film about violin making.
                      2....."Holiday Camps" 1963, an excellent print and sound, bought new from Derann many moons ago. Again a most interesting short film
                      3....."The Eagles Nest" 1962 another excellent print and sound from Derann.

Derann had many short films like this back in there day, and are still very interesting to watch

Comment

• More trailers than you can shake a stick at. 'Scope and flat, Grease, Independence Day, Guys and Dolls, The Bottom of the Bottle, Straw Dogs, Blues Brother 2000, Dog Day afternoon, 2001, Calamity Jane The Bad News Bears and many more also the Summer Nights extract from Grease.

Comment

• Good line up of trailers there Brian I remember the very extensive list Derann used to sell, pages of them all new, just about anything you wanted was available back then . I to have "Summer Nights" as well, but the sound quality on mine is not as good as it could be.

Comment

• A collection of Betty Boop films , Snow White, Judge for a Day, Little King and Red Hit Mama.

Comment

• Halloween shows have started here.

3 x Planet Films projected Four and a half hours using my Eumig HID projector.
                              ISLAND OF TERROR
                              NIGHT OF THE BIG HEAT
                              DEVILS OF DARKNESS

Island of Terror I got early 1970's, has been great Derann Films value and looking at the ticks on the box projected 81 times on a Eumig.

Name:	20221021_210451.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	67531

Comment

• I always liked the film Night of the Big Heat. For several years I knew, at am amateur drama club, a director there called Bill Merrow. He had a thick German accent, it was a long while before I found out he was the father of Jane Merrow who was in that film. He also ran the Merrow Employment agency and p[laced adverts for it in the club magazine.

By the way which model is that Eumig? From the colour and layout it seems to be one of the later in the 900 series.

Comment

Working...
                                X