No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple more obtained from CHC at the weekend before my Blu Ray viewing. "Lion Around" a B&W silent Donald Duck and the Tom & Jerrry "Solid Serenade", Walton with great colour.
    Last edited by Brian Fretwell; August 08, 2023, 04:20 AM.

Comment

• Good to see you to Brian and everyone else. Nothing beats being with like minded film people!
      Thank you Classic for a nice time.

Projected in our camping tent, oh yes.
      OH MR.PORTER Walton films.
      TRAIN TIME
      FLYING SCOTSMAN
      NATIONAL ANTHEM God save the King. (Something I digitally made at home onto S8)

Comment

• Agreed - it was good to catch up with fellow collectors at Phil's Autumn Sale.

I checked the prints I got last night and Sunday night, but the highlight had to be a very cheap reel of WEST SIDE STORY. I know that Derann did a couple of official extracts, but this was just a 600ft reel from the feature. But what a reel! It started with the dance where Tony and Maria first meet, then onto the song 'Maria', then finishes with the song 'America'.

This was all of GBP 15 and a mint Derann re-print.

Comment

• John, What a great buy and what a great reel!

Lee, "Projected in our camping tent"? Now there's a picture that belongs in the screening room photo section!

I watched a Marketing Film 400' print of Die Rache des Dr. Fu Man Chu (The Vengeance of Fu Manchu).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fu Manchu cover - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.0 KB ID:	85101 Click image for larger version  Name:	Fu Manchu cover - 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.1 KB ID:	85102

The evil Doctor surgically creates a double of Scotland Yard's Nayland Smith and has him commit murder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fu Manchu 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	85100

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fu Manchu 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	85099

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fu Manchu 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	85098

Comment

• I'm still catching up on my weekend purchases/prizes. Last night it was the film I won 200ft on Australian Aborigines faded and a little bowed at the start but no smell (I'll be keeping it separate) and The Coal Miners Daughter U8 2x400ft in typical U8 colour condition, bought at a bargain price.

Comment

• Though it was just a few days back, I had the good pleasure of viewing Philip's "JAWS" 200ft, and despite Lee's protestations, this reel, made in Italy, really has outstanding color and image quality. In fact he has placed an extra copy of this on eBay! Definitely an excellent edit!

Comment

• I watched Universal 8's The Best of Horror Part II, a 400' silent compilation of 8 Castle Films headline editions. This grouping consists of The Mummy's Ghost, Doom of Dracula, Revenge of the Creature, The Deadly Mantis, One Million B.C., Bride of Frankenstein, War of the Planets and It Came from Outer Space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Best of Horror Part 2  U-8.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	85181

I'll be striping this and adding sound to show at the upcoming CineSea at the end of September.

Name:	Best of Horror 2 -1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	85179

Name:	Best of Horror 2 -2.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	85178

Name:	Best of Horror 2 -3.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	85176

Name:	Best of Horror 2 -4.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	85177

Name:	Best of Horror 2 -5.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	85175

Name:	Best of Horror 2 -6.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	85180

​ ​​​​​​​

Comment

• The last, and longest, purchase from CHC "The Ghost Train" an adaptaion of the stage play by Arnold Ridley (perhaps now better known as Godfrey from Dad's Army), 4x400ft Powell film release on 2 800ft spools. A typical B&W release quality of the time, with very little wear. As it stars Arthur Askey and Richard Murdoch, with Kathleen Harrison, it is more comedy than the play but still has some serious "fifth column" arms smuggling to balance that.

Comment

• A mixture. First the Avengers episode "The Living Dead" 1x400ft Deran on Agfa, followed by The Empire Strikes Back 4x400ft Ken Films extracts now rather brown in the shadows (only edge-marking I could see was EKC31) , The Phantom of the Opera Universal 8 very pink. Then to cheer me up a Walton 1x400ft of The 39 steps (Robert Powell version) on late Fuji amd great colours.

Comment

• Brian,

4x400' Ken cutdowns of Empire? I thought there were just the two, along with the Ken 200' version.

Comment

• Sorry typo there, it should have been 2x400ft. My keyboad is currently in a less than optimum place and I can't see both it and the screen comfortably at the same time as I am using a secondary computer.

Comment

• Brian,

Thanks. A 4x400' version would have been terrific!

Comment

• Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
                            I watched Universal 8's The Best of Horror Part II, a 400' silent compilation of 8 Castle Films headline editions. This grouping consists of The Mummy's Ghost, Doom of Dracula, Revenge of the Creature, The Deadly Mantis, One Million B.C., Bride of Frankenstein, War of the Planets and It Came from Outer Space.

Name:	Best of Horror Part 2  U-8.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	85181

I'll be striping this and adding sound to show at the upcoming CineSea at the end of September.

Name:	Best of Horror 2 -1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	85179

Name:	Best of Horror 2 -2.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	85178

Name:	Best of Horror 2 -3.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	85176

Name:	Best of Horror 2 -4.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	85177

Name:	Best of Horror 2 -5.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	85175

Name:	Best of Horror 2 -6.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	85180

Can you imagine how well they would have sold in a sound edition. I came across a best of WC Field 400 in silent mode . All WC Field’s humour was verbal what’s the point 🤪

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	The Best of WC Fields.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.7 KB ID:	85768

Mike,

There's enough slapstick & car chases in these to make it worthwhile, but I agree that it was Fields' timing and that drawling delivery of his that made for his funniest moments.

Comment

• North by Northwest full feature.....

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X