8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 102)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2012 02:00 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, where do you find such stuff? It's superb! Do you have one to sell?

Alert us to the video. Can't wait.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 17, 2012 12:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino! What an amazingly wonderful ancient projector. Thanks 4 sharing!

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2012 03:47 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, Dino!

Went looking for more info about this projector and found this:

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=160424

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2012 05:38 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I WATCHED 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD again last night and got some more screen shots and posted a reviw in the review section of the site . Check it out. And I watched a nice print of SHERLOCK HOLMES FACES DEATH on Super 8mm B/W 400" reel with sound. I love the Holmes films and Basil Rathbone classic performaces. The print has many great scenes and Doc Watson is great. This is a very rare print you don't find up on eBay all the time. I was lucky to get it as a Holmes fan. I love the new movies but still think Basil's acting is more like the stories that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote.  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 19, 2012 02:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steam on Screen

I do this thing where when I am showing films to a general audience I usually keep it light on the pretty decent fraction of my collection that's railroad films.

Saturday night I turned this idea on its head, invited a bunch of railroad cronies over and showed nothing but railroad films.

"A Train for Christmas" (1x200')
"Narrow Gauge in Portugal"(1x200')
"The Titfield Thunderbolt" (4x400' with intermission after reel 2)
"Storming Brasewell Mountain"(1x200')
"The Engine Driver"(1x200')

-It went over pretty well!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2012 11:13 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 interesting 200' sound shorts on Germany.
2 of the shorts were British Film Board releases in BEAUTIFUL color.
#1 was The Wall - about the modern day Berlin Wall - I think from the 60's.
#2 was on The Eagles Nest - Hitler's mountain top getway - I think from the 60's.
#3 was a crappy framed (had to put the framer all the way to the bottom) sepia toned (or faded B&W on color stock) Derann release on the Rise & Fall of Hitler's Germany.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2012 02:58 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Murnau moves from Dracula to a doorman.

Tonight, we were privileged to watch F.W. Murnau's The Last Laugh. When I started out on this hobby, I just wanted to fool around with film. Instead, film projection has opened up a world of features I just hadn't heard in the world of DVD, Blu-Ray and Streaming. For example, all I'd heard of Buster Keaton were The General, Sherlock, Jr. and other famous titles. There just was no mention of Cops. Where was Harry Langdon's Soldier Man? Where were Thelma and ZaSu? ..... I'd watched Nosferatu. But where was The Last Laugh? Ha! It is on Super 8!

For me, the story of this livery obsessed doorman just edges out the tale of the blood thirsty Count. They say a classic rings true even today. If that is so, The Last Laugh must surely classify as a classic. Roger Ebert put it in his Great Movies list in 2000. What took you so long Ebert?

The questions it raises, ah! Why is one job better than the other? Why must not the poor and the rich eat the same food? Why do some feel shame in old age? Is luck the only way out of poverty? The most important question of all has to be: why didn't someone ask Mr. Pink ,from Reservoir Dogs, to watch this film?

I watched this feature as some sort of homework for Abel Gance's Napolean. My idea was to watch a silent film, with a soundtrack, to psyche myself up for the five-and-a-half hour feature. It is playing at the Oakland Paramount Theater the day after tomorrow. Now F.W. Murnau's The Last Laugh isn't as long, yet I feel prepared for the epic of epics: Napolean.

Fellow forum member Joseph Morrison, thanks for this title.

-

-

-

-

-

Eric Ray
Junior

- posted March 24, 2012 08:11 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I am new here.

I watched a Ken digest of Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines on a Bell & Howell Filmosonic 600z.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 24, 2012 10:04 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

Welcome to the Forum!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2012 03:50 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week Pinocchio re-record myself see LINK

[Smile]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Eric Ray
Junior

- posted March 26, 2012 08:59 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Doug

I watched a Niles digest of Sherlock Holmes in Spider Woman and a Walt Disney b/w silent edition of Bone Trouble with Pluto.

I received my Superman The Movie Digest today. Maybe, I will watch it tomorrow.

Eric Ray
Junior

- posted March 27, 2012 09:41 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I watched the 400ft digest of Superman The Movie. It was a good digest.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2012 12:32 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey ERIC I watched a SUPERMAN THE MOVIE 2 Digest last night . It was a nice color print in widescreen. Welcome to the forum!  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2012 03:59 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched Hell's Angels and it exceeded expectations. It seems like Howard Hughes' shots, action involving planes, explosions and characterization of women, became trademark Hollywood after Hell's Angels.

-

-

-

-

-

Eric Ray
Junior

- posted March 29, 2012 09:21 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was about to watch Empire Strikes Back digest when the bulb went out. I tried another bulb from a non working projector, but it did not last long either. So, I decided to watch a 200ft digest of Abbott & Costello in Double Cross at Criss Cross with my Kodak Sound 8 projector.
I went online and ordered some replacement bulbs. The Abbott & Costello movie was from Rank Film Company which I never heard from before.

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2012 12:41 PM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Swiss Miss" with Stan & Ollie - the Walton print (3 x 400').
I must say that I like the abridgement they made. They cut out all the needless singing and left all the Laurel & Hardy sequences intact. I like the film better this way than in its original version.
I wonder if someone experienced the same thing I did with this print: In the first reel, there is sound from another act audible; it's low and it's in the background but it's a bit confusing and annoying.
Otherwise the sound is quite good, and picture quality doesn't fall under that of the full lenght version print Blackhawk offered.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2012 12:53 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay you should watch WINGS to see where those shots really originated... [Smile] - by the way it looks like you have built up quite the collection already...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2012 01:42 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, I was waiting for someone to correct me on just that. Don't you have Wings? Wanna sell?

Had friends over and we watched Stagecoach. Nice movie, but felt like scenes were cut short to ensure the entire feature fit onto 1600 feet of film.

-

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2012 12:13 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stagecoach runs at 90 minutes.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2012 01:28 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight was a very special screening on 9.5mm at The Berkeley Underground Film Society. For anyone not familiar with the society this is the brainchild of Gerald Santana, whom I had the pleasure of meeting face to face this evening. Gerald is a film devotee who has taken the initiative to present free film shows for his community, and I wanted to show him that I support him so I brought my Specto, some films and my wife to do a show....We had a really enjoyable time with the small but enthusiastic group that braved the rain to come out and see some rare silent comedies...My wife jokingly states that I could program an empty theatre...What she means is I often want to watch titles that are so obscure no one would come. But that is just me I guess, so tonights' rundown was as follows:

Shiver and Shake (1922) Paul Parrott - 12 min.
Sky High (1922)Hallroom Boys - 12 min.
Chicken Cooped (1926) Flora Finch - 12min.
Bonzo The Traveler (1925) Animated dog - 12 min.
Walter’s Paying Policy (1921) Walter Forde - 22 min.
Vagabond Queen (1928) Betty Balfour - 45 min.

The first pic is Gerald introducing the evenings' titles, then shots from the films, then the glowing 'S' from my Specto, and finally a shot of part of the audience watching the films....After the screening Gerald and his family were kind enough to drive my wife and I back to our hotel, so we can rest up for tomorrows' Napoleon marathon.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2012 01:36 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was great to host your program Dino, really it was my pleasure. I can't wait for another screening in the near future.

I completely forgot to mention that Warren Dewey and I are talking about a small gauge film convention for the West Coast sometime next year. If all of the details can be worked out, I can't imagine doing it without you.

Many thanks!

P.S. Akshay, your pictures are getting very good!

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2012 02:25 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could attend your screenings, Gerald. Am sure tonight was very special for your club and the attendees. My best wishes to you, Dino and your club.

Eric Ray
Junior

- posted April 01, 2012 02:46 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched a Blackhawk print of Perils of Pauline the Aerial Wire chapter on my Elmo FP-C. I like the Perils of Pauline stuff.

-

-

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2012 04:56 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of these days I'm going to make it back to California to visit Disneyland, Knotts' Berry Farm, and one of Dino's film shows.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Eric Ray
Junior

- posted April 01, 2012 08:48 PM      Profile for Eric Ray   Email Eric Ray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Bolex SP8 is now running properly. I watched a small digest of Keystone Hotel, a digest of Empire Strikes Back (it was nice and red) and Laural & Hardy in Dirty Work.
Now if I can only get my GAF 3100s or my Chinon SP 350 to work properly.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC