8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 106)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 31, 2012 01:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's too bad it doesn't have the orginal titles, (The Flip Cartoon).

Blackjhawk was really good about the original titles on thier cartoons and they released a great deal of the Flip cartoons, including the very first one, "Fiddlesticks", and some of that specific title even made it out onto LPP film stock, as I have one.

Though two strip technicolor, the range of color is actually quite good and I was struck by the fact that the super 8 LPP print is actually BETTER than the archival print used for the Ub Iwerks collection on DVD, which was made from Blackhawk 35MM masters, as the blacks were "red" most of the way through the cartoon on the DVD, but the blacks are pure black on the super 8 print.

Apparantly, the master they received from the Blackhawk archives, was on Eastman stock, so though it was 35MM, it is of lesser quality than the LPP prints made from, quite possibly, the same negative, which was no doubt not faded when those super 8 prints were struck in 1982.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2012 05:59 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee...I just came back from the Columbus CINEVENT Film Convention over the Memorial Day weekend. I go down (2 hours south) on Saturday every year and catch the Annual Animation Program. WHAT A LIFE was the first cartoon screened (on 16mm) and it was a hoot! I love it when the various repairmen come walking out of the closet!

Bill [Smile]

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2012 11:10 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps not watching film for long makes you want to watch several at once. This evening we watched Laurel & Hardy in The Bohemian Girl. My wife and I have been pleasantly surprised with how nice these Laurel & Hardy features are. Everyone seems to speak only of Chaplin and Buster Keaton. Gotta feel for Stan & Ollie.

-

-

-

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 01, 2012 05:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi & Bill. Sounded an interesting event that. Local collectors, myself included have something of a menagerie of films with our favourite cartoon animals in as well. Its good to have such a good appreciation of the old movies we feel.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 01, 2012 12:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love that shot of Stan pointing at the screen! ThanX 4 the screenshots.

--------------------

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2012 03:20 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like that one too, Osi, so didn't tile it with the other pics. Fortunately, I had the camera ready at the right time.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 01, 2012 03:39 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay, Laurel and Hardy are the two finest comedians ever,and their films will never date as long as anyone has a sense of humour
the screenshots are excellent by the way.It looks like we might
join the digital age and get a digi camera,all I then need is
instruction on how to put them up on here.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2012 08:53 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey is that Darla from the Little Rascals??? Last night I saw a very nice print good color ENTER THE DRAGON It was on Super 8MM 400 Ft reel. Nice in mint condition clam box ! Wow what a find. All the best scenes a very good digest.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2012 09:56 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First was "Touche Pussy Cat" (Cineavision). I almost got rid of this last month when I realised a decent scope lens was really out of my price range. Then,a beautiful Ishico Proskar Anamorphic 16 shouted "buy me" at Brisbane Camera Fair. It was hidden amongst a pile of lenses and at the price, I couldn't say no.

-

Then, it was "Clash of the Titans" ( Mgm 3 x 400ft).Great fun.Fading but it was nice to be the first to break open those seals.

Reel One of "Victor Victoria"(Red Fox).Stunning colour.

Finally, Jack Nicholson in "Wolf" on blu-ray.(Much better than all that "Twilight" rubbish)

[ June 02, 2012, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Trevithick ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 02, 2012 09:49 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, how much did you pay for Isco Anamorphic lens if you don't mind to tell. Because I just got exaftly the same lens for $75 includes one bracket and one braket with stand.

BTW Clash of Titans is an MGM release not Marketing. So did you say it has faded while was fully sealed? so fading process can take place no matter the film did not have contact with the light (sun or bulb)?

--------------------
Winbert

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2012 10:13 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Winbert,I meant to say MGM. I've got films coming out of my ears at the moment and i'd been watching alot of Marketing stuff the night before. From my experience, film definitely fades even if sealed. The Marketing ones had their seals intact and original cellophane and they had all faded to differing degrees.
The lens was a steal at $20.No fittings though.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2012 01:19 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many films have two main actresses named Gertrude? Tonight I started with a standard 8mm short that was an old tour of Universal Studios BEHIND THE SCREEN (1915)(1 x 200ft) followed by an 8mm feature that was a lot of fun. The Reginald Denny comedy A CHEERFUL FRAUD 1926 (Milestone, 5 x 200ft)which costarred Gertrude Olmstead and Gertrude Astor, is a typical Denny farce with an action packed ending. Jewel Thieves, misunderstandings and a runaway car.... FUN!

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2012 06:08 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I was moonlighting at my old jobb, the local cinema.
The film was Prometheus. 35MM copy in glorious 2D.
Here are some pictures I did take from the booth.

-

-

-

-

-

The machines are Bauer B14.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask if the feature is good? Did you like it? Is it legally okay for you to answer?

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2012 07:02 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't YouTube. LOL

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2012 01:24 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today was dedicated to the under appreciated. This afternoon I watched a very funny comedy on Standard 8mm starring the often overlooked comedienne Vera Reynolds, and the always funny Zasu Pitts in SUNNY SIDE UP 1926 (Regent 6 x 200ft) a rags to riches love triangle with the most unexpected ending ever. Vera has a scene very much like marion Davies in The Patsy where she goes through a series of impressions, that are very funny.

Then this evening my wife and I watched an overlooked drama on 16mm by Michael Apted (The director of the 7-up series) entitled FIRSTBORN 1984 (2 x 1600ft, LPP) starring Corey Haim, Robert Downy Jr., Sarah Jessica Parker (all at the beginning of their careers) and a virtually unknown actor named Christopher Collet who is brilliant in this movie but never had much of a career besides some TV slots...With the exception of one short absolutely terrible line of dialogue, this movie is really good.

-

-

--------------------

Brannon Carty
Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2012 12:05 AM      Profile for Brannon Carty   Email Brannon Carty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight's showing was one of my personal favorites, Killer Fish from 1979. (2x 1600' LPP). It stars James Franciscus (Great White, Planet of the Apes, etc), Lee Majors (6 Million Dollar Man), and Karen Black. The color on that print was FANTASTIC! There were some lines and blimps here and there but it was so awesome finally being able to watch it on a big screen.

Here's some footage I shot during the beginning of the film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwk4WTUq14

--------------------
The Young Film Nerd.

Model Owned: B&H Filmosound 550

"You're gonna need a bigger boat." - JAWS (1975)

Films Owned: Killer Fish

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2012 01:17 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brannon....Lee Majors! ! ! I'm jealous [Smile] Looks great in the video

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 07, 2012 01:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, good ole Lee, (old Lee by now!), and thanX as always for those screenshots, Dino!

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2012 12:31 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was asked to see what was on these 9.5 notched reels for someone and much to my surprise (and then unhappiness, since these aren't my reels) one of them is a super rare stencil color film. I have a few of the color reels, but want more because they are so fascinating. Anyway it was a good excuse to use my new Bolex DA that I picked up while waiting for a replacement gear for my other one...Most of the films turned out to be educational ones, except the color one, Max on the Telephone, and a couple of O'Gallop cartoons that I haven't figured out yet.

-

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 08, 2012 03:28 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dangerous Lady 1941
PRC
Love this 16mm film and first time ever screened here on the wonder Bell & Howell. It stars Neil Hamilton, June Storey and a great surprise to see silent star Evelyn Brent in a PRC flick. Being a detective film about a husband and wife duo it reminded me of the great Paul Temple films but a USA version. Just finished a service on this projector and nice to see it running so well. [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 08, 2012 12:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The animated stork in that first screenshot looks a lot like a Max Fleischer aniamted character, but I can't be sure.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 08, 2012 12:34 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Styles bsck then were interchangeable,though.Could be one of
Terrytoons.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2012 01:23 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful pics, Dino.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 08, 2012 03:05 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 3 grandsons (ages 7, 5 & 2) all watched their first Woody Woodpecker cartoons on a film projector. Their favorite was the Barber of Seville.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC