No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My schedule is locked in place for these last few days of 2023. So, I'm listing this early. It should be accurate when all is said and screened.

2023: Screenings Complete

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	151.5 KB ID:	93391
    Error correction: 4 DVD shows not 5

Comment

• Checking my memory (and shelves) I realised I had "Santa's Workshop" (Disney) so watched that as a late Christmas viewing.

Comment

• Such a wonderful list, Chip! Watched my new commercial reel, "70's Commercials" (the first of two 200ft reels). From Red Fox. Sadly, faded, and I will still search for a good color copy, which will be difficult, as, they were all printed on quick fade Eastman, ( part 2 was thankfully reprinted by Derann on LPP ), but given the right storage and circumstances, I might find a good one. I also watched my one and only super 8 release again, "Saturday morning Madness", also commercials, low fade

Comment

• The last show of 2023.

Twister - 1x 50' Trailer

War of The Worlds -1x 50' Trailer

Breakdowns of 1936 - 1x 200' - Warner Brothers end of year bloopers reel. It is very strange to see the likes of Bogart, Cagney, Robinson messing it up.

Breakdowns of 1937 - 1x 200' - As above. Not sure if any other blooper years were ever released by them, or available on super 8

Singin' In The Rain - 2x 400' - Most (all ?) of the song and dance routines all nicely edited together.

The Lady Vanishes - 4x 400' - Hitchcock's 1938 version with Margaret Lockwood.

Happy New Year Everyone !

Comment

• ......... and the first show of 2024 was a spontaneous showing late yesterday afternoon.

The Fastest Animal on Earth - 1x 200' - The life of a Cheetah.

Blue of The Night - 1x 200' - Bing Crosby sings 3 songs... Blue of The Night (!), Silent Love, Every Time My Heart Beats.

A Star is Born - 1x 400' - Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson. The best thing about this is a complete rendition of "Evergreen."

The Wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer - 1x 400' - This was a second copy I picked up recently complete with its original plastic box and this copy was far better than my first one !

The Sound of Music - 1x 400' - NOT what you are thinking. This was a composite reel of extracts from the full length cinemascope version which included full length songs "So Long,Farewell," and "Climb Ev'ry Mountain." There were other bits E.G. "Something Good" and the wedding scene amongst others. What has surprised me, thinking about it, is that somewhere out there, there is a butchered full length copy of what is normally a very expensive film to buy. Why anyone would do this is beyond me !

Comment

• Well,

Today was Epiphany Sunday, and the Christmas decorations are starting to come down here.

-but still the same, Christmas couldn't really end until we sat down together and watched my Derann 600' print of The Small One. I've had it about 15 years now, and just by its seasonal nature we never see it twice in a year: we've come to look forward to it.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E5566[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.6 KB ID:	93931

Tonight was the night!
              (Merry Christmas 2023!)

Comment

• Tonight: Just kind of a...compilation!

(Sometimes I plan these things, sometimes they just kind-of happen...)

Draw the fires (S8, Look at Life highlights the passage of Steam from British railways)
                Canoeing in Austria (16mm, Kayaking the wild rivers of Alpine Austria)
                Pastoral Symphony (S8, 500' Extract from Fantasia, both Derann reels spliced together. Well done, Disney and Derann, Even better done, Beethoven!)

-and just when I was ready roll up the screen for the night, I had a sudden idea:
                The Railrodder (Projected DVD, Buster Keaton takes us on an astounding trans-continental tour of Canada.)

Both by number of films and time on Screen, this was preponderantly a S8 Show!

Comment

• A couple of screen shots from two nights ago, even after all these years I think its one of the best edit Scope Super8 films released from Derann, I don't think that its ever been shown at present day conventions which is a pity, it was certainly one of the most popular films they sold at the time. Its also a good example of what Scope on Super8 should looks like.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1350490.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	94563

Name:	P1350483.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	94564

Name:	P1350464.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	94565

Name:	P1350466.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	94566

Name:	P1350438.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	94567

Name:	P1350404.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	94568

Name:	P1350378.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	94569

Name:	P1350380.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	94570

Comment

• I agree, a very good edit. For the record, some super 8 company in Germany, released this as a full feature!

Comment

• Graham - It looks to be a wonderful print, but pardon my ignorance............ what film is it ?

Comment

• It's "The neverending Story". I bought a copy off Phil a couple of years ago as I missed it on original release.

Comment

• As Brian states above, came out on a 600ft reel
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	P1090564.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.4 KB ID:	94781

Comment

• My new copy of "A Day At The Races" full feature, in sepia tone on LPP film stock! Can't go wrong with the Marx Brothers!

Comment

• Tonight it was again the turn of a excellent full length release 600ft color print of Blustery Day from Derann

Below screen shots are from a previous screening, tonight they are even brighter than those below, with those extra volts going to the lamp, both picture and sound look great.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1210997.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	94985
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1060575.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.3 KB ID:	94986
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1060583.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.5 KB ID:	94987
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1060586.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	94988
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1060602.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	94989

Comment

• I was very glad to finally buy a copy of a long cherished fantasy film from 1948, "Portrait of Jennie". This was released by ABC Films, but unlike a lot of other edited versions of features from ABC Films, this one is complete, as it was only 80 some minutes to begin with. Nice sharp image. I only wish that it was in it's original release style, in which the last reel of the film was tinted green, and the very last scene was in full technicolor, but to have this film on super 8 alone, is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X