No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a great time watching BRAINSTORM.
    Although it’s not everyone’s taste, I love this feature.

Comment

• Way back when Mr Wilton projected that new release with the surround sound track on S8 in London. A memorable event in the annals of Super 8 film events back in el day

Comment

• So were they YOUR socks that he blew off?? I remember that was the sequence he used and afterwards he went into the audience and picked up a pair. Keith was a true showman at the BFCC.

Comment

• I watched Universal 8's The Best Of Horror - Part 1. When they made the change from Castle Films to U-8, they put out a few silent 400' titles that were simply headline editions strung together. U-8 released two parters of Horror, Abbott & Costello, Woody Woodpecker along with a single one of W.C. Fields. Each reel was made up eight titles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Best of Horror Part 1  U-8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.6 KB ID:	10531

A few years back I sound striped part one and added sync sound from the films. That was one of the more difficult edits, but it was worth it. It got a nice reception when shown at CineSea.

Doug

Comment

• I remember those! One of the striking things about it is how the intertitled dialog on screen didn't always follow the scripted speech on the sound track: they massaged the intertitles here and there to help the digest make more sense.

Comment

• We watched Rooster Cogburn 1x400 universal 8 colour still very good colour and memorys of me billy crystal optical sound full feature again very good colour and sound

Comment

• Bugsy Malone, Walton 4x400ft, unfortunately fading to brown - the first 2 parts as I felt to lazy after eating to start watching early. Also here are the Animex Cineavison ones I referred to earlier just before the forum went down. Blue Cat Blues and Born Free.

Comment

• Two Betty Boop cartoons : Snw White (1933) and Dizzy Red Ridind Hood (1931). I don't know who released them but quality is good.

Comment

• Presto, a scope Classic Home Cinema release, then a Derann film : Classic US TV Commercials (there seem to be a good selection of American and British commercials on super 8, they are rare in French, same situation for the trailers). Both films are good quality, I should have watched them after and not before : Flower Drum Song, a Universal 8 peint, since it's faded (but still watchable)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200529_233417.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	10675

Comment

• The other night, before the feature: (Rocket Man, the Elton John Biopic)

Luxo Junior (Pixar) and Gone Nutty

Luxo Junior was from Steve Osborne a few years ago, but Gone Nutty is one of the very first new Derann prints I ever bought 18 years ago. It's been projected many, many times and still looks great by any standard.

Gone Nutty is what got me started developing my sound system. This film has the largest dynamic range of any Super-8 print I've ever encountered: everything from a sole prehistoric squirrel leaping across a field of acorns to a literal Acorn Avalanche! The problem is that during those quiet parts, I met my audio-nemesis: Hum!

-and that's what got me started on my quest to become hum-free!
                      b
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Scrratt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.3 KB ID:	10683

Comment

• My Saturday night out/in had a very Liverpool feel to it..... eventually.... as you'll see below.

1x 200' Planet of The Apes
                        1x 200' Conquest of The Planet of The Apes
                        1x 100' Let It Be - The Beatles
                        1x 200' Hey Jude - The Beatles
                        3x 400' Magical Mystery Tour - The....er......let me think now....er.....oh yes!.....Beatles!

First time I have had The Beatles and The Monkeys in the same show!! (Think about that one!)

Comment

• I had a thrilling time with Dorothy McGuire and Ethel Barrymore in THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE. Little plot, great film, stunning atmosphere...

Comment

• Finally watched the last 2 parts of Bugsy Malone, followed by a silent Fletcher film short "Days of Steam" pink and printed in unsteadiness filmed around the Forth Railway bridge and many trains were not steam but diesel, interesting as the Forth Road bridge could be seen part-constructed in the background. All finished off with the very short "Cinema Cinema" with many clips, Excalibur, Bond, and some I didn't want to identify

Comment

• A standard/regular 8 print of The Lodger, a silent early Hitchcock film. I found that film a while ago but kept it until I could watch in the best conditions possible. That was tonight. I like silent films and I like Alfred Hitchcock so I certainly spent a good evening.

Comment

• Dominique De Bast Love Hitchcock! Some things are just worth the wait.

Comment

Working...
                                X