No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicking off October, I watched ALIENS last night. Full feature, letterboxed and zoomed out for a nice 1:85 image.

Comment

• Even more super eight for a second night in a row on October 4

Walt Disney Cinderella full length

buster Keaton in cops
      Charlie Chaplin in the floorwalker

Abbott and Costello meet Captain Kidd full length

Comment

• Thought I might give the VP bit a rest last night, and instead run some Super 8 Scope films. The following are all on one Elmo 1200ft reel. I ran this particular reel not so long ago, so will include some previous screen shots from that screening'

1...Fox logo with da da da da
        2....Star Wars trilogy trailer, I like the way they are introduced, from looking at it on a TV, to da da the big picture
        3....Peter Pan this is the live action film from 2005, I think I still have the 35mm trailer from my cinema days somewhere....mmmmm...
        4....Good Will To Men...now this is a outstanding colour Scope film, I always think its one of the best Scope shorts film around. I think the print is from Red Fox.
        5....Movietone Scope reel one, this is excellent which includes a little bit of "the making" footage of the new up and coming film "Mag Men in there Flying Machines".
        6....She Flies...if there ever was a film that was made for Scope this one is it
        7....Last on the reel..."The NeverEnding Story" what a brilliant edit from the folks at Derann. This film is in stereo, with a flick of a couple of switches I can quickly go from mono coming out both speakers from the Yamaha to stereo.

I always like the idea of running complete short films joined together, to give a more seamless flow of films on the screen, its much better than starting and stopping all the time
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160284.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	43744

Name:	P1160292.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	43745

Name:	P1160321.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	43746

Name:	P1160332.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	43747

Name:	P1160324.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	43748

Name:	P1160355.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	43749

Comment

• Its A gift Snub Pollard Blackhawk had lines tink they Printed it that way looks new had a laugh fun

Comment

• Chip, is your "Captain Kidd" in color? (Try saying that fast 5 times!), We watched our slightly abridged Blackhawk "The General" last night. Our film nights really start taking off these days with the longer nights!

Comment

• Last night another 1200ft Scope reel, thought I would screen some more Scope films as the projector was still set up for Scope from the other night.

The following "Tom and Jerry" films are "Cinevision" prints distributed by Annimex Inc, New York N.Y. Both colour and sound are still very good .

1... T/G Busy Buddies 1956.
              2....Titanic trailer, looks great in Scope with a generous running time.
              3....T/G The Egg and Jerry 1956.
              4....Disney "Bearly Asleep", stunning Scope print, bought new from Derann.
              5...."Shakespeare 400" an excellent and most interesting film.
              6....."South Pacific" 1958 this is the 200 footer bought new from Derann
              7.....2001: A Space Odyssey trailer, this a excellent trailer in the Scope format.
              8....Star Wars "The Phantom Menace" trailer, this one goes well with the following film
              9......The Phantom Menace " Pod Race" This is the full Pod Race from the actual film, its full on even though its only a mono sound print, it sounds great"

Comment

• I have that Pod race as well, nice one for the scope screen! One Animex scope print I have been looking for, for years, is " Muscle Beach Tom ", it must have been a fairly limited run!

Comment

• Osi

Interesting you should mention "Muscle Beach Tom" MC-722 that's the number on the side of this plastic box. I watched it the other night. One strange thing though, that in most cases you have some kind of interesting front cover in the box, this one however is just plain, with the title nothing else.

Its certainly a film to look out for, the color print quality is really outstanding, sound wise is excellent as well.

Name:	P1210062.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	43869

Comment

• Thanks for that photo! That verifies that it was, in fact, a late release. They made very nice, colorful covers on the earlier releases. I'll have to keep a lookout for that one!

Comment

• I see that Derann released Muscle Beach Tom later, however it is not indicated as being 'scope.

Last night I watched MASH 200ft version.

Comment

• Hi Brian

I did check also with the Derann film catalogue and you are indeed right, "Muscle Beach Tom" is listed, but not in the Scope section, I can only assume there is a flat version out there of it as well.

Comment

• It was flat, sadly. The Animex scope Droopy cartoons, as well as the Animex release of Goodwill To Men were in those same plain boxes. There was also a " Hector Heathcoate" scope cartoon as well, but that one is one you should pass on, in my opinion. There were also at least three scope trailer reels released by Animex as well, and an extremely rare release in Cineavision, of Star Wars part 2, but curiously, the same edit as the Ken Films Star Wars part 2 scope, but not the Cineavision version, but t still scope. There is, in fact, a YouTube video of the two being screened side by side!

Comment

• Last night on 1/800ft Elmo reel, was Mission Galactica "The Cylon Attack" "PT.1: 7030 PT.2:7031" Using a slight blue filter on the projector lens, the film print looked OK, nice and sharp with good sound, no past scratches either, nice clean print. I will have to use this filter more often.

Name:	P1210066.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	44012
                            With filter

Name:	P1210067.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	44013

Comment

• A film I watch at the cinima back in '77 I think. Bugsy Malone. Thought it was brilliant so went twice! Now I have the Walton Super 8 400ft.
                              Colours are great as too the sound. Watching on the Elmo SC 18 HiVi. So the small screen
                              Sadly, over too quick, missing a few songs and cutting those shown short. A fun showing though.

Comment

• Did Lee appear in this extract or only the full length (or 4x400ft) version.

Comment

Working...
                                X