No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• „African Queen“ starring Bogart and Hepburn. The full feature and still stunning, funny and touching. A timeless masterpiece.

Comment

• I have this one too!

-just once I want to hear Charlie say "Now just hold on! -blow up you own boat!"

(Then she dumped all his Gin in the river!)

-best wedding ceremony in history:

"I now declare you husband and wife. Proceed with the execution."

(-it has a certain honesty that many others lack!)

Comment

• Last night was my 3x400' version of True Grit shown on my Bauer T600-A.

I had this title first time round, bought it around 1980. As I know this film pretty well (as I have seen it many times on TV) I think that story-wise it's a really good edit where the storyline is pretty much intact and it has all the well known action scenes incorporated too 🙂

Although I bought this about 4 years ago (from Paul Foster) it was the first time I had viewed it and was pleasantly surprised to find the picture and sound to be very good with just some fade - and by using a blue filter on reels 2 and 3 (for comparison) found that this made it even more enjoyable!

I had forgotten that these Marketing prints are on thinner film-stock and so I think that in due course I will put it onto an 800' reel, which will make it an even more enjoyable watch 🙂

The only pity is that it is in plain white clam-cases and not those original Marketing boxes, which I think are amongst the best boxes ever produced for 8mm prints.

Comment

• Jaws arrived in the post today! Those bl**dy sharks try anything to get inland.
          Anyway, I'm gonna need a bigger couch!
          There's something about Jaws that frightens the geebees out of me. Oh yeh! The shark. Having a flimsy rattan soffa to hide behind just doesn't cut the mustard. A very fast paced, heart pounding edit that didn't disappoint. That being The Dave Films Edit.
          I watched it on my Bauer T430 but without external speakers attached for stereo. Next time I'll sort some or use my GS1200. I think I better get myself a proper set up. This 8mm thing is pretty fly if you ask me 😊

Comment

• Ali

I bought "True Grit" new when Marketing first released it on 3/400ft reels. The print quality was excellent as were the boxes the reels came in. In later years I sold it but glad your copy is still looking good.

Its the one film I did regret selling in the past, the photography and colors taken in the national park looked great.

Last night I did watch "The Hindenburg" sadly the print has gone completely red, so that's now the end of the road for screening this print .
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-05 11-57-10_0002.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	47637

Comment

• Last week I did a screening of "The Lion King" excellent picture and stereo sound.

This was bought new from Derann when it was first released. Buying one feature a year was my plan back then.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1210274.JPG Views:	0 Size:	120.1 KB ID:	47694
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1210189.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	47695
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1210196.JPG Views:	0 Size:	81.8 KB ID:	47696
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1210224.JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	47697
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1210255.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.7 KB ID:	47698

Comment

• Just a couple of shot films bought at Blackpool, Independence Day trailer (Flat) and the J Secombe "Rollercoaster" 'scope to test out the ISCO 16mm anamorphic I bought from Elaine Guest. The back element seems the same size as an 8Z and the front not much smaller so it works well on Super 8.

Comment

• Graham - I agree, True Grit is one of my favourite John Wayne films shot in a great setting. Just wish I had my copy in those original Marketing boxes!

Comment

• My raffle win of the "Who Dares Wins" digest and Derann's "June is Bustin' Out all Over" from Carousel.

Comment

• Last night it was an MGM Musical Digest Film-Show with:

Anchors Aweigh - pleasantly surprising that it still good colours, although more grainy and soft focused then I remembered when I had first time around. Plus I could have sworn that the early musical number with Kelly and Sinatra jumping on the shipmate's beds was in this digest - my memory must be playing tricks on me 🤔

Singing In The Rain - always enjoyable and the colours are still just about there 🤞 I think that this will warrant me in future putting all the musical numbers in the right order and then onto an 800' reel for an even better 36mins 🙂

Finally, An American In Paris (the greatest musical I've ever seen) the combination of Kelly and Gershwin is sublime! 🙂 This has started to turn, but was still very watchable with the blue filter slipped on 🙂

Now I've started my winter's screenings, there'll be no holding back from now on - hopefully 🤞😉

Comment

• Comment

• All shown on my Bauer T610-A 🙂

Comment

• „Poltergeist 2“ which works great on the big scope screen. Maybe not as fascinating as part 1, but a very good sequel in my opinion and thanks to Jerry Goldsmith’s music and some amazing scenes always a pleasure!

Comment

• After spending an extended very enjoyable weekend break over in Blackpool last weekend for some big event that escapes me at the moment (!!!!!!), I am back in the Man Cave tonight (Saturday) to sample part of my latest haul of goodies !

The Small One - 1x 200' Disney cartoon suitable for the festive season as a little boy is told to go and sell his little donkey so he and his father can live, and he ends up selling it to Jesus Christ himself!

The Empire Strikes Back - 2x 400' on an 800' spool. First time I have seen this version. Very enjoyable with decent colour and sound.

Airport '75 - 1x 400' This is the 'scope version but watched it flat as was only checking the colour, film condition and sound, which was in French on the balance stripe and English on the main stripe! Good eh ?

Distant Drums - 3x 400' Gary Cooper classic with reasonable colour AND Dutch subtitles !

Comment

• Last night I watched;

1. Reel 1 of my Fantasia feature, Tocata & Fuge in D Minor and The Nutcracker Suite.

2. The Wizard of Oz MgM 400’ faded sadly.

3. Motor Mania from Derann which I won in the raffle in Dudley in 1999.

4. The Living Daylights, Tom Thumb, 101 Dalmatian’s, Bambi trailers.

Scope.

4. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland 1972 and Circus World Trailers great quality from Derann.

5. The Big Parade from Hello Dolly great scope print from Derann and proportionally reduced?

6. Thank You Very Much from Scrooge 1970 a great excerpt, I wish I had the whole feature.

7. Moonraker trailer.

Comment

Working...
                                X