No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a 200ft silent B&W from GB Movies "Atlantic City" a documentary/travel film. The posts on the hardware part of this forum reminded me I had bought a Eumig Mk8 from a bring and buy (£7, no lens and Standard 8 parts only) and wanted to try it out using the 18mm lens from a Mk 501. A very shrap print, but due to the lens front jamming I could only project a small image so moved to the zoom lens from a Mk 710D.

Comment

• Well I finally did something which I've never done. In the history of enjoying this hobby - an entire month for as many shows that I did run - all CINEMASCOPE!

Click image for larger version

Name:	cgc_jan_2022.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	53183
      Attached Files

Comment

• That looks superb Graham! 😊

Comment

• Last night Mary Poppins "The Super Nanny" 200ft silent with English sub-titles excellent colour, Shakespeare 400 Pathe 'Scope and a mix of WWII era 'Scope trailers (The Sound of Music, Bridge in the River Kwai and A Bridge too Far) ending With Movietone News 'scope No. 1. The print was the one shown at the BFCC at Red Lion Square as Derek, never one to lose a sale due to lack of stock, re-spooled it from the made up demonstration reel for me. That meant I got a nice plastic flip front case too.

Comment

• Great program, Brian! You may already know, but Walt Disney Super 8 Home Movies' "The Super Nanny" 200' sound is a different edit from the silent extract, featuring an almost complete "Spoonful of Sugar" number. It might be fun to edit the two together should you find similar color reels.

Comment

• Last night. "I Married a Woman" 4x400ft B&W 'Scope with Diana Dors and a fleeting appearance of John Wayne (both in a film at a cinema and a cameo as himself)a comedy that doesn't really get me laughing until a mock fight scene. As it was an RKO release (IMDB states it was originally 2:1 ratio) I assume it was a Mountain release, it certainly has the low and varied print of some of theirs.

Comment

• End of a hard week so had a little film show last night
                3x400' of Airplane
                400' Alien
                400' Close Encounters OT3K
                and a some cinema ads Pernod/Lee Cooper/Diamonds
                All still have decent colour and minimal wear

Finished off with some really lush colourful trailers for Eraser/MI/Total Recall

Comment

• Rik - Certainly a better pick-me-up than a couple of G&T's ! I should know because I have a copy of all those films you mention on your main list so understand where you are coming from!..... apart from the fact it is super 8 full stop!

Tonight was documentary night up in the Man Cave having never seen a second copy anywhere of three of them!

They are.....

1x 200' The Royal Wedding - Princess Anne and Capt. Mark Philips. I have had a black and white silent version of this for absolutely years, but recently tracked down this colour sound version. It is the same edit, but, boy, the excellent colour and sound make on hell of a difference for the better!

1x 1200' - Hollywood The Golden Years. Similar to a film I watched last time from my collection but much longer, covering Hollywood from the beginning of the silent era to Al Jolson muttering the first words on screen in The Jazz Singer. Excellent stuff.

1x 1200' - The Selznick Years - Documentary about David O. Selznick and all the films he was involved in. Some really rare interviews and casting footage together with a heap of film extracts.

1x 1200' - Bogart... A Tribute. Perhaps the best tribute film I have seen of the great man. It even knocks spots off the excellent Hollywood and The Stars profile.

Comment

• The Derann scope feature of CIRCUS WORLD starring John Wayne, Rita Hayworth and Claudia Cardinale… The perfect feature for a rainy Sunday afternoon and an outstanding print which takes You to the front row seat at the circus.

Comment

• Great line of films everyone its always interesting to see what others are watching

Brian I like the Movietone News reel No 1, I am guessing it was made around the 1964 mark, as the narrator talks about the up and coming film ie "Mag Men in there Flying Machines" which I think came out in 1965. The print quality is also very good, mine has zero fade.

Rik....If there was ever a film that I never tire of watching, is the excellent 3/400footer of Airplane .

I did run a Super8 trailer reel last week, the problem just with the odd one, is having to move the framing knob due to how they have printed it, so sitting right next to the projector is a must with trailers

The print quality of them all is very good..

Other trailers on this reel, with no screen shots are, The Perfect Storm, Dinosaur 2000, Song Of The South, spliced in front of the excellent 200ft print of Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby. One other addition right at the front of this reel, was all the "PG Tips" ads, the print quality of those are excellent.

Waterworld..

Name:	P1220315.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	53647
                      Braveheart...

Name:	P1220332.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	53648
                      Pearl Harbor

Name:	P1220344.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	53649
                      Titanic..."flat"

Name:	P1220366.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	53650

Name:	P1220390.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	53651
                      Castaway...

Name:	P1220397.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	53652

Name:	P1220403.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	53653
                      Lord Of The Rings..

Name:	P1220426.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	53654
                      Jurassic Park

Name:	P1220437.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	53655
                      Snow White...

Name:	P1220495.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	53656

Comment

• The Vanishing American, a 1925 silent western. There is a surprising historical introduction. I realized there are parts of the American history I don't knwo. The story itself is "pro-Indians", which suprised me as well. My copy is a standard/regular 8 one. I watched the film with the Eumig HID and the Spondon LPU, as all the parts have been spliced together on a large spool. The most comfortable way I found to use the Spondon with this projector is to add a long leader, start the projector and the LPU and when everything runs perfectly, turn the light on. Projection succeeded.

Comment

• The delights on offer in the Man Cave tonight were......

1x 50' When My Baby Smiles at Me - Trailer - Betty Grable

1x 50' South Pacific - Trailer - Rossano Brazzi and Mitzi Gaynor

1x 200' For The Record - A Look at Life subject about how a vinyl disc is made and the process from first recording to selling in the shops. It features recording artist Helen Shapiro. This edition was also broadcast on Talking Pictures TV in the UK yesterday evening. The broadcast print had better colour, though !

2x 1200' Hobson's Choice - The Charles Laughton classic directed by David Lean. Was interesting to see Jack Howarth in a small part and looking a lot younger years before becoming Albert Tatlock in Coronation Street (UK TV soap)

Comment

• Muppet Movie, both 400 and 200 foot reels. Flop Goes the Weasel, 200 foot WB cartoon. I previously watched my feature print of Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.

Comment

• Seventh Heaven, the 1927 (American) silent version. The intertitres are in English but there is sometimes a touch of French (since the action is set in Paris), like the words "Bon Dieu" (Good Lord). I read "Name of a dog". Is it translated from French ("Nom d'un chien") to do more local colour or does that expression also exist in English ?

Comment

• The King and I on 400ft Super8. Very watchable with acceptable sound and colour. Not sure, but think there were 3 songs, I was in the kitchen making coffee!
                                I hadn't seen the film befor but ask my friend what she thought of the edit. Loves the movie and has watched it with her grand kids many times. The scene that sprung to her mind and was missing was the argument between Yul and Deborah

Comment

Working...
                                X