No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, since I just posted about this, I decided to watch my 400ft, consisting of "The Band Concert" and "The Old Mill", both WDHM prints. Both still have vintage, beautiful color. WDHM did a great job on these. It should be said that I have had these in cold storage for years, in the fridge in a freezer bag with selica gel packs, but it apparently works!

Comment

• I wish I could get my hands on an LPP Derann print of The Old Mill. Kudos to you for preserving and enjoying it Osi!

Comment

• Funny story, I found that print sitting in a bargain bin at a cost plus store in the early 90's in San Francisco. When I sold off my original collection, I had left this at my mom's house after a super 8 screening, shortly before I sold my original film collection. It was pin her basement, and after ten years,.mom returned it to me when she heard that I was back to collecting.

Comment

• Before screening with the VP tonight, I though I really must run some Super 8 before the main feature

One reel I have screened before a number of times is this 1200ft of shorts I have to say that many of those films I have had since the 1970s are still looking pretty good color wise, I keep the heads and tails on a separate reel, With the Wurker they are easy to put back on if needed. You don't lose a single frame if you use the Wurker for cutting and splicing, anyway there were a couple of shorts that were a little bit jumpy the last time I screened this reel.

What I do and the idea came from a fellow forum member was to use a very some amount of Armorall which I use from time to time if needed. Last night the reel ran perfect and image and sound wise everything looked great.

1...."Tweety Pie"..
          2...."Egg Cracker Suite"1943, this is a polyester short from Castle films before U8 took over. I bought new a million years ago, its still good
          3....."Barber Of Saville" 1944, another Castle bought new as above
          4....."The Two Mouseketeers 1952" stunning Walton color Fuji print, again bought new, this print is one of the best color prints ever, and still is
          5...."The Dwarfs Dilemma", another brilliant Disney short I bought way back in the 70s
          6....."I Wan'na Be Like You" from Jungle Book, this print has been through my ST1200 and GS1200 lots of times, I would say that this extract, was one of the most popular in its day, great foot tapping stuff and still looks good color wise
          7...."His Mouse Friday" another excellent Walton Fuji color print. I first bought this particular title in B/W sound, and always wanted to get a copy in color, in time I did, looks great.
          8....."Three For Breakfast"....Disney'
          9....And lastly "Cat Napping" one of my all time favorite T/J cartoons.

I found myself last night going almost word for word from the screen. I guess this is what happens when you watch the same films over many years

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1270082.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	61914

Name:	P1270084.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	61915

Comment

• For me a show show of the trailer to Quo Vardis and the cartoons Duck Amuck, Popeye Toreador and Bully for Bugs. The last two featuring similar bullfighting gags - the anvil behind the cape and the bull sharpening his horns on various instruments.

Comment

• My 400 ft episode of SCOOBY DOO! Lousy picture quality included.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 12.02.17 PM.png
Views:	294
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	62005 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 12.02.07 PM.png
Views:	284
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	62006

Comment

• Last night Road to Morroco, always a good laugh the road films. My St 8 print was ex library so not too good loads of wear it had certainly earned its keep. However I don’t mind it’s part of the hobby, cracking sound track and good contrast . Projected on my highly modified Kodak sound 8. HiD lighting , 2200ft arms ( with electric motor take up) larger lens barrel with a Eumig prime f1.1.
                The projected image with this set up is fantastic and really makes viewing more pleasurable.
                John

Comment

• Nice John! It's amazing what a good lens and bright lighting can do to enhance the projected image. Our films deserve the best we can give them.

Comment

• Thanks Janice, I’m fortunate I love watching my films and also I like tinkering with my projectors always looking to keep them running at their best. My wife always happy with my hobby , keeps me away from the pub!
                    John

Comment

• I’m fortunate to have an excellent print of Physco complete with trailer. Decided to run it last night,I had forgotten how good the quality was, Derek did a great job , it would stand up against any Super 8 B/W print. This is Hitch’s best film in my mind and when released was certainly an eye opener . It was the first time audiences could only be allowed in for each separate showing. Back in the day cinemas ran continuos shows , basically if the programs was good you could stay in the cinema and watch it all again, those were the days !
                      John

Comment

• Our newest aquisition ... "To Be Or Not To Be", Carole Lombard, Jack Benny, 1942. I didn't know what to expect, but this is a GREAT blacknwhite super 8 print. Great contrast, very sharp for a blacknwhite classic. I don't know who released this, but for 55 dollars ... a steal!

Comment

• Last night all on one 800ft reel

1....Bottles 1936, now this is a strange one excellent print and sound.
                          2.....Mother Goose Goes To Hollywood 1938, excellent print and sound.
                          3.....The Grasshopper and the Ants 1934 stunning print and sound, bought new from Derann.
                          4.....The Ugly Duckling 1939 excellent print and sound, another gem bought new from Derann.
                          5....The Old Mill 1937 from WDHM some fade, but still OK.

Name:	P1270348.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	62140
                          Bottles..

Name:	P1270355.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	62141
                          Mother Goose...

Name:	P1270364.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	62142

Name:	P1270369.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	62143

Name:	P1270374.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	62144

Name:	P1270380.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	62145
                          The Ugly Duckling..

Name:	P1270422.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	62146

Name:	P1270426.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	62147
                          The Old Mill....

Name:	P1270428.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	62148

Name:	P1270446.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	62149

Comment

• Now, the Ugly Duckling was one of the WDHM that was printed on a highly inferior film stock, I have never seen a good print of the WDHM version, but your print is very good. Stick with the Derann on that!

Comment

• I always found the Derann prints superior to the Disneys ones. The screenshot of Old Mill is indicative of the quality. Mind you I always stored the Derann prints in original colour Disney boxes which is going to confuse future buyers/collectors.

Comment

• The Derann prints are certainly sharper, Mike, but I would prefer a good color, slightly less sharp print over a bluish color Derann. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X