No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walton films version of 'Helpmates' surely, Osi? Great film though, one of their best. I always used it as an example to my kids when they asked why we wouldn't leave them to look after the house if we wanted to get away for a few days without them!

Comment

• Vintage NIGHT OF THE BIG HEAT. I REELY love this film and certainly in my top 10 from Derann. The great Alberto did a colour treatment on it a couple of years ago and made it watchable again. Does not work for all film bases but it did much better that I expected.
      I made the short journey back in EL day to collect the film, a minor 8 hour round trip back then (enthusiasm) and must have watched it 3 times over when home on the Eumig 807D projector.
      Golden times and every time I run it on any projector it brings back the memories of the 1970's film collecting scene....
      Follows on then that we take flowers to the directors final place of rest in Manchester UK each year....
      ​​​​​​​
      Remeber the film makers friends.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	LM Tom.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	34520

Comment

• Osi - Unfortunately, I have no idea. All the leaders are spliced onto the film, so they are not a giveaway. The picture covers on the front of the boxes look like they have been scanned. The only potential info I can spot is that on these scanned photo's with the film's title on it it also says "Matinee" in the top left corner, but I don't think it means anything. I think this copy may have originally been on 5x 400' but squeezed onto 3x 600' so they are not even the original boxes. To sum up and to use Janice's phrase..... the whole film was a complete "bummer."

Comment

• Pleasant surprise as these days I don't find any Universal 8 films these day that have not faded into the sunset, this following one was good

Musical Moments from Chopin......Walter Lantz productions Universal 8 "2606", a very nice color print

"Walking In The Air".....The Derann 11 minute version from The Snowman, an excellent print

"The Lion King" trailer added onto "The Lion King" promo with Elton John performing "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" , outstanding color prints and stereo soundtracks.

Comment

• I believe a few U8 400fters at the end were on Agfa stock and fade free. I have a one of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" but that is very much the exception.

Comment

• No Gary, it IS a Mountain Films copy of Helpmates, it was released by Mountain Films in the form of three digests with a separate title for each digest. I'm thinking about taking those beginning and end credits off of two out of three of the digests and "reconstitute" the feature. It is just slightly sharper than the Blackhawk, has some of the original title cards and even the British film board approval cards, though that is a little dark.

Comment

• You've really piqued my interest now Osi! What are the individual titles that they used on the three releases? Honestly, I have never heard of Mountain films releasing any of Laurel & Hardy's sound shorts in any form (except for 'Unaccustomed as we are' and 'Berth Marks'), so this is a bit of a revelation to me.
                Last edited by Gary Sayers; May 17, 2021, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• Last night the 400ft of "1941", mainly red except for the scenes from Dumbo shown on the cinema screen in it. I assume that is because they are brighter and the red/brown that should be black is not present in large blocks in this or that they were mainly blue in the original. I bought this on a 600ft spool with the Tom & Jerry "Casanova Cat which a Walton print on late Fuji and excellent colour unlike my MGM (Ken) copy.

Comment

• Like Brian I screened „1941“ (but the 2-parter) and then I attached the Kowa lens and screened the cutdown 2-parter „The Deep“ in scope. Also slightly faded, but the water is still blue. And what a great edit! And what an amazing musical soundtrack by John Barry!

Comment

• Last night (my birthday) it was the 2x400ft Iver release of The MacMasters. A little pale in some outside shots but on Agfa stock so no colour problems. A few base side scratches but that meant I got it for a bargain price from CHC.

Comment

• Happy Birthday, Brian🎉🍾🌺

Comment

• I screened my beautiful Derann release of Disney‘s „Pocahontas“ and enjoyed every moment of the colours of the wind

Comment

• Happy birthday Brian

Thunderball scope amongst other shorts. One of the last few new feature prints I got from Derann and still looks awesome. Must have been around 2007 I think and a great feature.
                            Ended by watching some video and S8mm of the open days we filmed. Memorable......

Comment

• This weekend I ran some recent purchases.

1966 World Cup Final. England 4 West Germany 2 in colour with sound - Quality Products (Romford)
                              1975 FA Cup Final. West Ham 2 Fulham 0 also in colour with sound - Walton Home Movies

Most enjoyable

Comment

• Gary, the titles of the three parts are ... 1. Blockheads. 2. Come out Fighting. 3. Strike a Match. I've decided to sell it on eBay, though, but the sharpness is a tad bit better than the Blackhawk.

Comment

Working...
                                X