No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three 60m/200ft musical shorts : Tauber Sings Again (two songs from The Land Without Music), Golden Music Hall (three songs from the golden days of Music Hall, as the title suggested) and Ice Skating Musical Extravaganz, with Sonja GĂ©nie.

Comment

• Continuing tonight with last weeks theme of Alfred Hitchcock, my "big feature" this evening was the 4x 400' version of the 1938 Margaret Lockwood version of The Lady Vanishes.

Prior to that, I watched my latest purchase of a few days ago.... a 1933 Flip The Frog cartoon called "Soda Squirt" which also features cartoon appearances by Laurel & Hardy, The Marx Brothers, Buster Keaton and Mae West. A nice little rarity from Blackhawk.
      Also screened Reflections UK.

Comment

• For Derek and Derann day I started with The Calico Dragon (I had watched Jason & the Argonauts and thought the Hydra and the dragon were a good match). Then the Walking in the Air extract from The Snowman, Carry on Camping extract 1, Tom & Jerry Saturday Evening Puss, Pathe Review of 1952 (my birth year) abd finishing with Carry on Abroad 2reel extract with part 2 of the 4x400ft spliced in. (I have Part 3 but it is not fully sound recorded so not added yet.)

I felt that to be a fair selection from the range from the earlier years.

Comment

• I screened „THE FINAL COUNTDOWN“, the marketing-film cutdown in mint shape. Also the boxes with their outstanding artwork are great.

Comment

• Comment

• Last night the part recorded part 3 of the 4x400ft Carry on Abroad which when finished will fit in well the rest of what I have and Mutiny on the Bounty, a bit of a mixed 400ft I bought on the Bring & Buy at Blackpool a couple of years ago. It seems to be a mixed origin reel as the colour changes part way through (the start is on SP), I can feel a few splices too and has 2 extra opening title sequences at the end including part of the start, all squeezed 'scope. One to check on the editor when I have the inclination.

Comment

• The Hindenberg 2 x 400' condensed version:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1344.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	17212

Comment

• My constructed ABC (Associated British Cinemas) Cinema reel. The box shows Edgware RD ABC when they were showing Friday the 13th 3D, Airplane and Rocky 3.

It opens with the pretty rare Derann Fanfare 'Welcome to a bright future with Derann'
                  ABC Opener
                  Vintage adverts
                  Future Programme
                  Gone with the wind
                  A&C Meet Captain Kidd col
                  Raise the Titanic
                  ABC Cinema on with the show.

The Terminator 1985. They did so well getting this onto Super 8

Comment

• DRACULA 1958 Very spooky

Click image for larger version

Name:	DRAC3.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	17360

Comment

• Last night?

Star Trek(2009) Trailer in 'Scope, because I'd actually forgotten I'd bought the thing and wanted to see it again! (When collections grow large...)

Then one home movie after another from the 1970s all the way up into the 'teens. (Looks like life really has been pretty good!)

Comment

• Next step with a large collection is buying something you think you want then when you put it away you find you already have a copy.

Not quite that but my latest viewing was reel 6 of That's Entertainment, one of only 2 reels I have printed by Derann on low fade Agfa stock. I do have the original release in the Ken wrap round large box, but that is on Eastman and going rather brown.

Comment

• A Blackhawk print of Laurel & Hardy in Dirty Work (1933). The timing in the scene where bricks (one by one) fall on Ollie's head is brilliant.

Comment

• Disney night for me. The Skeleton Dance, followed by The Dance of the Hours and The Nutcracker segments of Fantasia. LPP and Agfa so I left out The Sorcerers Apprentice which I have on SP.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4324.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	17450 A Pathe News and Man of a thousand faces.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_00773333.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.0 KB ID:	17451

Comment

• The Mothering Heart-1913 (!) Super 8mm Blackhawk Sound. 400 ft

Marital infidelity from DW Griffith in 1913. Tells a story with 3 dimensional characters using primitive technology yet pulls at your heartstrings. Lillian Gish is luminescent in a role that would lead to many more including the feature length masterpieces of DW Griffith. I really think there's a difference seeing these projected from film rather than video. Just sayin'

Click image for larger version  Name:	mothering heart title.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	17.7 KB ID:	17475 Click image for larger version  Name:	mothering heart2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	17474
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X