No announcement yet.

What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night it was one of my favorite movies from the past "Fantastic Voyage" from 1966. The blu-ray quality was excellent with both picture and sound, projected using the Epson VP.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1210052.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	44572

Name:	P1210053.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	44573

Comment

• Fantastic Voyage was pretty well done considering the limitations of the 1966 special effects. It was almost remade by James Cameron back in 2016.

The 1966 film Fantastic Voyage is a beloved piece of science fiction cinema. This story entails a crew who are shrunken down to microscopic size and travel inside a human body. In the decades since its release, the story of Fantastic Voyage has proven so influential that it's difficult to imagine any filmmaker being up to the task of remaking it. But that's just what Guillermo del Toro intended to do. In January 2016, del Toro was in talks to helm a Fantastic Voyage remake for 20th Century Fox, produced by James Cameron. The production was being looked at as "an event-sized tentpole" and was reportedly being eyeballed by del Toro as his follow-up project to the October 2015 release Crimson Peak.

However, Fantastic Voyage was eventually put on the back-burner so that del Toro could finish The Shape of Water. At the time, del Toro was said to be still committed to the project, and he reaffirmed this in an interview with Collider where he said that the project was eyeballing a filming start date in the fall of 2018. Though crew members were subsequently hired for the project, that was the last update for del Toro's Fantastic Voyage, which has gone unmade. Subsequent corporate shake-ups at Fox stemming from the Disney/Fox merger make it unclear when, if at all, we'll be seeing del Toro's take on Fantastic Voyage.
      Source: https://www.looper.com/281350/guille...ver-get-to-see

Comment

• Hi Ed

It was certainly well done, and regarding the effects, I don't think they have dated at all. The medical terminology used is also very accurate, as with the description of what you are seeing in the film which makes it very interesting, how our your immunity kicks in and so on.

Another blu-ray I watched just the other night as well was Logan's Run. I have never forgotten that one from seeing it at the cinema back in the 1970s, its another one I like to watch every so often

Name:	P1210083.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	44598

Name:	P1210084.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	44599

Comment

• I think the only way the effects in Fantastic Voyage have dated is the fact that the what now would be called "Blue screen shots" using Traveling Mattes show the limitations of the multigeneration analogue system. If the elements were recombined digitally they would look up to date.

Comment

• I thought a remake of Fantastic Voyage with CGI and 3D would be entertaining, but then again, how many "re-makes" have been better than the original? Then there is the danger of trying to "improve" special effects as George Lucas did with Star Wars. The die-hard star wars fans were not amused.

Comment

• I am all in favor of a remake if they do the CGI in 3D, now that would be something Some remakes can do very well in there own right. One being "Flight Of The Phoenix" of he 1964 film "The Flight Of The Phoenix". We ran the 35mm print of it back in 2004, and I thought then the film was pretty good. Going of track just a wee bit, I would like to see the original JAWS and Aliens given the 3D treatment as well . After watching some of the older films converted, like Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park the results in 3D looked good.

Name:	P1170674.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	44669

Comment

• The intro, with the music by Johnny Cash was a brilliant start. I always turned up the sound monitor in the projection room for this one

Comment

• Watched the Disney movie SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES last night. It's a movie based off the classic story by Ray Bradbury. It was fun and much darker than usual Disney fair from that period.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                    I am all in favor of a remake if they do the CGI in 3D, now that would be something Some remakes can do very well in there own right. One being "Flight Of The Phoenix" of he 1964 film "The Flight Of The Phoenix". We ran the 35mm print of it back in 2004, and I thought then the film was pretty good. Going of track just a wee bit, I would like to see the original JAWS and Aliens given the 3D treatment as well . After watching some of the older films converted, like Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park the results in 3D looked good.
                    Graham, In regard to 3D conversions, my Epson VP has the usual support for all 3D formats, but I noticed that it also has the ability to convert 2D to 3D dynamically. I had played with stand alone software 2D/3D convertors in the past and the results were pretty underwhelming and the conversion process took a long time. Because of that, I assumed that the dynamic 3D convertors within projectors would be just as poor. Have you, or any other forum members had any success with consumer level 3D convertors?

Comment

• Hi Ed

Never tried any convertors, only ever used the 3D blu-rays on the Epson, along with Epson active glasses.

PS. Ed...well well well, I just read the User's Guide for the Epson EH-TW5600, sure enough this projector can convert 2D images from HDMI1 or HDMI2 into 3D images, after reading it, it says you can select the strength of the 3D effect from Off, weak, medium or strong, then press enter

I never thought of doing this in the past, thanks Ed for that, I will give it a go very very soon and see how it works out
                      Last edited by Graham Ritchie; October 17, 2021, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Hi Ed

Tried the 2D to 3D conversion last night , the result was I just could not get it to look right. I tried for a while but in the end gave up. I finished using the Epson, by inserting "The Martian" 3D blu-ray and switching the settings back to auto. Once I did that "The Martian" went to 3D and really looked great, so I again watched it for a while.

I will stick to 3D blu-ray and forget 2D to 3D conversions using the Epson. It might be somewhere in the projector settings I am doing something wrong, but in the end, it was time to return to the actual 3D blu-rays thinking now that's better

Comment

• Graham, your 2D to 3D test results are not very encouraging. I will try testing on my VP. I have been amazed with the results one can get with the Epson active shutter 3D system and a well crafted 3D bluray. I ordered the 3D version of Avatar which should arrive today or tomorrow, so I can do some tests comparing the 2D converted to 3D to the "genuine" 3D bluray.

Comment

• Tonight’s feature: The Changeling.

All-time classic haunted house movie with the great George C. Scott. You can count on the horror movie being good if he’s in it. Click image for larger version

Name:	88F221DF-F5A7-4A63-BF9C-F795DD56A64C.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	44855

Comment

• Two night ago I felt like a chill out night, just to sit back and enjoy

PS...yesterday when we were out and waiting for Yvonne outside a store. I looked up to the sky and watched a couple of seagulls zooming around, after watching the movie I thought mmmm yes they do move fast

Name:	P1170014.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	44917

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                                Hi Ed

Tried the 2D to 3D conversion last night , the result was I just could not get it to look right. I tried for a while but in the end gave up. I finished using the Epson, by inserting "The Martian" 3D blu-ray and switching the settings back to auto. Once I did that "The Martian" went to 3D and really looked great, so I again watched it for a while.

I will stick to 3D blu-ray and forget 2D to 3D conversions using the Epson. It might be somewhere in the projector settings I am doing something wrong, but in the end, it was time to return to the actual 3D blu-rays thinking now that's better
                                Graham, I tried the convert 2D to 3D on my Epson. I do notice additional depth, but I would not call it 3D. I set mine to maximum depth and I could tell that it was working because when I took off the 3D glasses the picture was doubled and not watchable at all without the glasses. I did my testing with Avatar (2D bluray and 3D bluray. I concentrated on this scene at the beginning:

Name:	avatar screen shot.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	44960

This is the were he is arriving it in the 'cryochamber' and the water droplets begin to swirl about his face and then float out into the audience. In 3D the water droplets appear to be in your face. With the 2D to 3D conversion the effect to pretty poor.

Comment

Working...
                                X