No announcement yet.

What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Graham and Lee. Ice cold in Alex is a film I last saw a few decades ago, but it is available for hire on one of the streaming services in HD.
    Tonight's film on my screen was 'The Artist'. It would make a nice double bill with 'Singing in the Rain'. 'La La land' would be a nice double bill with 'Singing in the Rain' too but I digress.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	artist_DSC02344.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	36987

Comment

• Last night it was arrow region "B" 2016 restored transfer of "KOYAANISQATSI" comparing it with a earlier blu-ray release this one is a noticeable improvement.

Some Features.

Restored digital transfer, approved by director Godfrey Reggio, with 5:1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio.

Plus many other extras.

It stated the film had its world premiere in October 4 1982 to a sold out audience at Radio City Music Hall.

Comment

• Its been a few years since I last watched this movie, its based on the true story of the 2009 hijacking of the container ship "Maersk Alabama" tonight we watched the blu-ray of "Captain Phillips" using the Epson VP' both picture and sound quality was excellent.

Comment

• Not a film but TV. Doctor Who "Time and the Rani" on DLP 4ft high picture. The best 1" video I have seen, though the shots digitally zoomed stand out like sore thumbs with terrible artifacts. Still 1987 technology is nowhere as good as now. The composite shots using Quantel Harry still stand up well and the 35mm model shots are good, but it seems they didn't survive on film to be re-scanned for this.

Comment

• The last film in my Blu ray season was "Transcendence", before going back to streaming services for my HD projected entertainment. Its an ok scifi thriller from 2014 that cost me £2 from the pound shop. It stars Johnny Depp playing the role of Johnny Depp and Morgan Freeman playing the role of Morgan Freeman, and has nothing to do with gender politics.

Name:	Transdence_DSC02351.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	37496

Comment

• Well its the school holidays at the moment and tonight along with our grandson we watched the Blu-ray of "Son Of Rambow" yes the spelling of "Rambow" is right We watched it on the Epson VP, afterwards it got the thumbs up from junior

I remember running a 35mm print at the cinema way back in 2008 and always thought the film was very well done, although that film print is long gone, I still have the 35mm trailer

One thing for certain is, the years since those projection days have certainly passed quickly to quick.

Anyway that was our night at the movies

Comment

• Last week was a busy one with Alien on blu-ray, after screening that particular blu-ray I screened the Super 8 digest as well .

Its a pity they never released the 400 footer in Scope plus added the actual ending taking the reel to the full 400ft.

Name:	P1190932.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	38395

Name:	P1190937.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	38396

Name:	P1190948.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	38397
                The Yamaha amp

Name:	P1190946.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	38398
                The Super 8 400ft digest....

Name:	P1190976.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	38399

Name:	P1190993.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	38400

Name:	P1190981.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	38401

Comment

• Well, not a BluRay, but the DVD The Dying of the Light: a Peter Flynn film. Peter has been coming to CineSea for years now working on his new film "Viva Film". The Dying of the Light shows the history of theatrical movies from the days of the magic lantern to digital conversion. It's a definite rise and fall story: all the way from traveling shows in tents, to the glory days of the movie palaces, to television and on into people salvaging old projectors from abandoned booths. There are a lot of interviews into the lives of theatrical projectionists and how their craft has gradually been diminished and replaced completely. They show a lot of pride in their work. In one segment, a drive-in projectionist is dismantling his 35mm machines so he can take them home and save them from becoming scrap metal. (I thought of Graham Ritchie when I saw this.) It was the last show of the season and before Springtime arrives, that drive-in will go digital and he'll be retired.

This one is even personal: 8mm Forum members Mitch Dvoskin and Joe Vannicola appear on screen. Joe is also a CineSea regular.

As is my custom: I projected this along with 8mm and 16mm supporting shorts: given the feature, this seemed a little more special than usual!

PS: I previewed it on a large screen monitor a few days ago: not the same as projection on the big screen!
                  Last edited by Steve Klare; July 18, 2021, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• It is a very well done documentary. I have watched it on one of the free streaming services (Kanopy or Hoopla). Here is the trailer:

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
                      Well, not a BluRay, but the DVD The Dying of the Light: a Peter Flynn film. Peter has been coming to CineSea for years now working on his new film "Viva Film". The Dying of the Light shows the history of theatrical movies from the days of the magic lantern to digital conversion. It's a definite rise and fall story: all the way from traveling shows in tents, to the glory days of the movie palaces, to television and on into people salvaging old projectors from abandoned booths. There are a lot of interviews into the lives of theatrical projectionists and how their craft has gradually been diminished and replaced completely. They show a lot of pride in their work. In one segment, a drive-in projectionist is dismantling his 35mm machines so he can take them home and save them from becoming scrap metal. (I thought of Graham Ritchie when I saw this.) It was the last show of the season and before Springtime arrives, that drive-in will go digital and he'll be retired.

This one is even personal: 8mm Forum members Mitch Dvoskin and Joe Vannicola appear on screen. Joe is also a CineSea regular.

As is my custom: I projected this along with 8mm and 16mm supporting shorts: given the feature, this seemed a little more special than usual!

PS: I previewed it on a large screen monitor a few days ago: not the same as projection on the big screen!
                      Growing up I always had a fondness for film! I remember being asked what I want to do when I grow up and I told them, "I want to be the movie booth guy", which was Young Lincoln code for Projectionist. Haha! Didn't quite happen, but I get to enjoy being my own personal projectionist for my friends with my 16/Super 8mm film collection.

Comment

• The new 4K Blu-Ray of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK Superb watch and in a boxed set of the films now available.

Comment

• JAWS tonight with Grandson 12 years old, funny thing though I found him hiding on the floor, just as the severed head scene was coming up, "well he did want to watch the movie" he new what was coming, and like me there was no way we would watch that bit .

Name:	P1200342.JPG
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	38638

Name:	P1200346.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	38639

Name:	P1200348.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	38640

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                            JAWS tonight with Grandson 12 years old, funny thing though I found him hiding on the floor, just as the severed head scene was coming up, "well he did want to watch the movie" he new what was coming, and like me there was no way we would watch that bit .

Name:	P1200342.JPG
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	38638

Name:	P1200346.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	38639

Name:	P1200348.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	38640
                            That scene still make me jump every time I see it!

You have such a lovely little family, Graham.

Comment

• Thanks Lincoln they do keep me on my toes we are very fortunate that they live close by, and not thankfully in other countries with tight travel restrictions. It must be hard for those not being able to travel overseas at the moment.

Comment

• Now this is a interesting release onto blu-ray. Its called "Went The Day Well" 1942 directed by Alberto Cavalcanti for Ealing. Based on the story by Graham Greene, The film tells the story of a quiet English village which has been infiltrated by German soldiers masquerading as British troops, leaving the villagers to uncover and fight back.

What surprised me about this film, was the level of violence that is shown here, Director Alberto Cavalcanti does not hold back in any of it. I guess back in 1942 when it was made, the possibility of a invasion was still a possibility, and this film was telling people what they might expect, if it had gone ahead.

Both picture and sound are excellent as with the story, as such I would highly recommend it.

Name:	P1060041.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	38893

Name:	P1060225.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	38894

Name:	P1060226.JPG