No announcement yet.

What Blu-Ray did you watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Jones and the Last Crusade from the complete adventures box set. Very good pictures and sound but the start titles looked a little aliased (steppy) i wonder if they had been re-done at lower resolution. I noticed, possibly for the first time, that the blue portable wind up gramophone seen in the background in one shot is identical to the HMV one I own. As usual I think "I've been there" when the New Horticultural Hall at Westminster doubles as the airship terminal .

Comment

• Sunning quality Xander

Tonight I watched "Aliens" the special edition. Its longer than the theatrical release by 20 minutes. The extra footage makes a huge difference to the overall story. James Cameron does state in the blu-ray, that the "special edition" is the version he wanted people to see, but could not at the time of the films initial cinema release, due to time constraints placed on him.

Between the two versions on the disc the "special edition" is the one I like the most

Here is just one part of the extra footage

Comment

• At the moment my 15yr old granddaughter is staying with us this weekend. Anyway she was talking today about scary movies, almost like "no problem to watch" , so I thought OK, here is one from the 1980s. Using the VP I put on the blu-ray of "Poltergeist". Well I am happy to report the movie still works if the reaction from her was anything to go by. Afterwards she said that was "SCARY", I replied during the final scene of the TV getting pushed out onto the balcony.......... "and they all lived happily ever after".

Great stuff from 1982

Click image for larger version

Name:	poltergeist_1982_australian_one_sheet_original_fillm_art_5000x.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	16243

Comment

• The Jerk there was a 8mm film Projector in the Movie

Comment

• Well tonight it was "Outland", its not the first time I have watched the blu-ray, but this time using the Epson VP and not the Panasonic VP. The picture quality as with the sound was excellent. I first watched "Outland" when it was released here in the cinema back in 1982. I have always liked the film a "High Noon" in space and in particular the excellent Jerry Goldsmith score.

Comment

• School holidays started this week, so with the grandkids staying for a few nights, it was really hard to come up with something they had not seen. First of and first night, it was "Dora and the Lost City Of Gold". This was one that Yvonne wanted to watch as well, anyway Dora went down well. Second night and it was one I had not seen either, was "The House with a Clock in the Walls" and lastly, last night, Connor wanted to watch "Rise Of The Planet of the Apes" I had seen it a number of times in the past, mostly on film, but this time, and like the other two mentioned was projected using the Epson VP.

All three movies looked good, I did mention not to rush to the door, when the end credits started with the "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" as there was more to come as shown below. The film companies sometime do this, you might have 20 seconds or so of end credits, then the film would continue, so folks don't make a dash for the door, as you might just miss something
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150446.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.4 KB ID:	17718
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150444.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.3 KB ID:	17719
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1150445.JPG Views:	0 Size:	108.9 KB ID:	17720

Comment

• The National Health directed by Jack Gold and adapted from his own play by Peter Nichols. An Indicator limited release of 3,000 copies.

The story of a National Health hospital on its last legs on a ward of mainly dying patients contrasted with a TV soap opera flashy hospital with the same actors for medical staff appearing in both, it also touches on the prejudice in mixed race romances .Featuring Lynn Redgrave, Elanor Bron, Donald Sinden, Bob Hoskins, Colin Blakely. However Jim Dale (who seems to have inherited the blonde wig from Colonel Staker in UFO when playing in the soap opera sequences) has the best line. When shaving a patient for a stomach operation with a cut-throat razor he says "Stay still, one slip down there and Bob's your Auntie"

Comment

• A film I always loved as a lad

THE SOUND BARRIER 1952 David Lean Director

A beautiful transfer to Blu Ray and 118 minutes of memories. Price around £13 if you shop around.

Comment

• Started my show with a Super 8 40's Newsreel, adverts and the trailer to Ghost Breakers.

Blu-Ray THE GHOST BREAKERS 1940. A truly great watch and in HD thanks to KINO and a new release for 2020.

Extras are included but the S8 trailer is better quality than the old tape one included on the BR.

Comment

• Tonight "JoJo Rabbit" using the Epson VP. A brilliant carefully crafted movie with many twists and turn from funny to downright serious.

Name:	P1110629.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	18040

Comment

• Well this was a real surprise screened "Jason and the Argonauts" using the Epson VP, and I must say the quality of restoration is simply stunning, I would highly recommend getting this one

Name:	P1150681.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	18672

Name:	P1150682.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	18673

Comment

• Yes it also, unfortunately, shows up the back projection plates' etc extra grain. The non-process shots are superb.

Comment

• Last night, as it's coming up to Halowe'en "Carrie" (1976). I saw a few things in it I've missed before like Bates being the location (I wonder if they had a motel), Carries mother, Mrs White, uses a sewing machine made by Whites, possibly not in the Derann 600ft that I have been mainly watching. Again the slit screen shots show much more grain than the other shots round then showing its age, before better inter-negative/positive stock was made available.

The extra, a trailer to the remake was very disappointing, I won't be buying that.

Comment

• Brian. We've had a week of the 80 horror film at our local multi screen Carrie is being show at the weekend. We will have to go.

We watched the new 4K UHD blu ray BACK TO THE FUTURE truly amazing quality.

Awaiting Trouble brewing with dear old George and his ukelele

Comment

• Last night got a bit complicated. I received the Blu Ray of Sweeney, the 1976 film spin off from the TV series The Sweeney, and went to the extras where I found a possible re-release poster from 1978 showing it on a double bill with the Peter Walker film "Home before Midnight", confirming my memory of seeing them at the cinema then. This was at the Elephant and Castle ABC, which is closed and facing demolition soon. I decided to re-live that evening.

I started with a Super 8 Pearl and Dean advertising reel, followed by the DVD of "Home before Midnight" followed by a short interval to get a beer then the Blu Ray of Sweeney.

It was interesting to see the credit "A Peter Walker (Heritage) production" remembering the Heritage/Mountain releases of some of his films.

Comment

Working...
                                X