No announcement yet.

What 8mm films did I watch last night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well lo and behold. 30 years late a phone call and doorstep distanced drop off of The Conqerer John Wayne.
    A long wait and lots of asking its here.
    This all started years ago at the London film collectors bash when we watched the laughable trailer but excellent if you get me in scope.
    All I need now is the scope trailer....one day

Comment

• Prince And The Pauper 600 feet Stereo
      Gladiator Battle Of Carthage 400 feet Scope Stereo
      Pearl Harbour Scope Stereo 400 feet
      on the 10 feet Scope Screen

Comment

• On the Elmo Gs1200 Stereo Projector

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	Vernon_IMG_2851.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	23923

Tonight: not exactly watching, but editing.

Ten years ago this month, Dwayne's Photo processed the last Kodachrome for all time. I had 4 rolls of film to send in, so those last couple of weeks were mighty creative. One of the things I did was take various films I'd already done the main filming for and compose and shoot the titles. One of the films was this little epic about what a tradition going camping was in my family and how it still was. The main shooting was of a weekend camping out in this wonderful park on the seaside I've been going since I was about 8 years old. The footage is my wife, my son and me enjoying the park: biking, canoeing, hanging around camp with our friends and going to the beach there. The titling used my parents' 126 camping snapshots from when I was little kid.

Four days before the deadline to have the film at Dwayne's, life happened! (-as it's prone to...). A major snowstorm hit the East Coast and all of Fed-Ex, UPS, United States Postal Service were flat on their butts and the day I went to ship, nobody would commit to getting my film to Kansas on time. Day the Second, Fed-Ex agreed to the old College Try and I joined photographers and filmmakers the world over having Kodachrome in that last run. (There were weeks of suspense before it finally showed up, too!)

-did I immediately finish this film? Noooooooo! The pressure was off now, and there are always other projects: leaky pipes, grindy brakes, the lawn getting deep, that ceiling lamp that flickers and buzzes and then again there is always my real job! The footage was carefully put away for...someday!

I keep running into this phenomenon I call "Today is Someday", where I pull some ancient project off the pile and just finish it. Today was Someday for this camping film: all the way from two feet of white leader at the head to two feet of black leader at the tail and everything in between. The little kid riding in the seat on the back of my bike in the film can drive a car now, but this film will finally get its premier with our Christmas shows. (There are still plenty of model kits, electronic projects, things around the house and a few other films: enough to take me well into retirement!)

I shifted my usual gears this time. I'm a great fan of the beveled cement splice, and that's my usual standard. A few years ago I had the chance to go through a film with 40 year old tape splices and I was impressed with how well they'd held up. Since this film will never be striped, I decided to go that way for this one.

Comment

• Nice story Steve.
            Also watching some of the old 1960s home movies with my Gran in and mum dad as Christmas. One was filmed on Boxing day when mum used to do a English breakfast for lunch, a real treat back then.
            Dad was a Kentish Master Farmer so everything on the table was fresh. A bit of film showing me climbing up straw bales 20 high.
            E those were the days.

Comment

• Comment

• Last night, and at Christmas, the full feature of Meet Me In St Louis on my Bauer T600 with a great recorded sound-track by Del Phillipson 😊

Comment

• A Walt Disney Christmas (Buck print on Fuji stock, the leader is red but the colours in the main part are pale but all there - good blues and greens), A Film Office print on Agfa of T&J The Night Before Christmas (French title card but English sound for the narration) and Santa's Workshop full version from Derann on Agfa stock.

Comment

• Christmas Eve Film Show:

1. White Christmas trailer with cinema seasons greetings 200ft

2. Christmas Trailer Reel from The Reel Image - 200ft stereo

3. The Snowman - 600ft stereo

4. Meet Me In St Louis - 4 x 600ft re-record

All great print and sound quality.

Comment

• No Christmas time without Christmas based features:
                      on wednesday it was „Die Hard“, this afternoon my favorite James Bond-adventure „On Her Majesty’s Secret Service“!
                      What a movie on the big scope screen.
                      To me one of the best Bonds ever!

Comment

• A train for Christmas
                        Christmas comes but once a year
                        Snowdrift at Bleath Gill

Babes in Toyland S8 L&H. Not seen that on screen since I was a boy and recently acquired on S8.

All stand for THE QUEEN

Comment

• I watch Snowdrift at Bleath Gill only when outside temperatures rise above 75F: this time of the year it's just too cold! 😊

Comment

• A Christmas Carol 1951! Still has an impact, even in a modern crazy world! Merry Christmas!

Comment

• Trailers last night, the Christmas/New Year greetings and White Christmas reel mentioned by Paul (I knew I had bought it but had trouble finding it as I hadn't written the contents on the side) also trailers for Saturday Night Fever and The Big Boss (which has shots not it the film).

Comment

• We've all done it Brian part of the fun I suspect

Put my HID projector on the stand and projected some films from the upstairs window to the house wall over the road. Neighbours children sat on garden wall watching

Tom and Jerry, Road Runner, Santas workshop and BB Parade of the wooden soldiers

Dropped some small bags of popcorn from window and parents came and thanked us today. Really touched us.

If weather holds out doing it again new year.

Comment

Working...
                                X